Seven hundred and eighty blinkin calories

Options
I have a vivofit and in order to correctly (as far as possible!) estimate my actual calorie burn I allow negative adjustments. I have MFP set at sedentary in order to do this. I came to set my goal based on this to two pounds a week weight loss (I had it at 1lb prior to this) and it estimated I should eat 780 calories net a day.... WHAT?! If I don't wear my HRM my vivofit tracks me at 1800 calories a day so I'm presuming that this is where it comes from. If I do TDEE it estimates about 1500 a day to lose 2lbs but I'm not sure I trust it. OR ANYTHING for that matter. I've been doing well. 3 cardio classes and 3 resistance a week and I don't want to get disheartened by numbers but 780 net calories?!

Jules
Xx

Replies

• brookesdsu
    brookesdsu Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I think there has been a glitch with MFP with this issue recently?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    MFP is not supposed to go below 1200 calories per day regardless of your goal. If it is, it's a glitch.

That said, you need to be eating 1000 calories less per day than you burn to lose 2 pounds per week. If your Vivofit is saying you're burning 1800 calories per day, subtracting 1000 calories does put you right around 800.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I have a vivofit and in order to correctly (as far as possible!) estimate my actual calorie burn I allow negative adjustments. I have MFP set at sedentary in order to do this. I came to set my goal based on this to two pounds a week weight loss (I had it at 1lb prior to this) and it estimated I should eat 780 calories net a day.... WHAT?! If I don't wear my HRM my vivofit tracks me at 1800 calories a day so I'm presuming that this is where it comes from. If I do TDEE it estimates about 1500 a day to lose 2lbs but I'm not sure I trust it. OR ANYTHING for that matter. I've been doing well. 3 cardio classes and 3 resistance a week and I don't want to get disheartened by numbers but 780 net calories?!

Jules
    Xx

2 lb is ~7000 calories, so if you burn 1800cal/day, then the math is pretty correct. Doesnt mean you should, but if you wanted to lose that much, then that is what it will look like.

If that 1800 figure is waking hours, then dont forget to include sleeping hours. You burn calories while sleeping, but only at about 40-60% of waking.
  • Missyjules1974
    Missyjules1974 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I actually think it's right. The 1800 is for 24 hours and doesn't include anything else in terms of even basic activity. I have never lost 2lbs a week regularly no matter how well I track. To the point I think I'm doing something wrong. I think I have to accept that I'm able to lose one pound a week if I track properly. I do 6 classes a week and enjoy what I'm doing and have no desire to do different exercise because I'll hate it, not do it and feel a complete failure! I'm tempted to completely destroy my scales and still track. I have a heart condition and take beta blockers (had two heart attacks when I was 33 (and weighed a lovely 135 lbs!!) so I want to be healthy and strong but not obsessive about the numbers! Jules xx
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Are you sure thats not the number it gives you after exercise. for example you ate 1200 and you exercised 400 calories so you net 800 (and can still eat more because you are now under goal). Something seems very off. I hope you work it out. And you are right. Healthy is the most important goal.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Why do you NEED to lose 2lbs a week? How much do you have to lose?
  • Missyjules1974
    Options
    Are you sure thats not the number it gives you after exercise. for example you ate 1200 and you exercised 400 calories so you net 800 (and can still eat more because you are now under goal). Something seems very off. I hope you work it out. And you are right. Healthy is the most important goal.

No it's definitely net calories... So if I don't exercise it's 780 for the day! Xx
  • Missyjules1974
    Options
    astrampe wrote: »
    Why do you NEED to lose 2lbs a week? How much do you have to lose?

I don't need to lose 2lbs a week.... I'm 163 and would like to be 140. I do a combination of cardio and resistance and will be out on my bike in the summer so I think I'm doing the right stuff. I eat healthily, track calories as accurately as I can and don't eat ALL. my exercise calories back as a safety measure... I do most of them though! Xx
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    :noway:
    Eat at least 1200 cals and 50% of exercise cals!
  • Missyjules1974
    Options
    :noway:
    Eat at least 1200 cals and 50% of exercise cals!

Yeah this is just plain old common sense... I needed a dose of it!! Xxxx