Macro percentages?

Options
hey all, I am just getting started and was curious as to your macro percentages or split of protien, carbs, and fats? I am a male, 5foot 4, currently 159lbs. I have a wrestler body style (not crazy buff, but fairly muscular) and my goal weight is 140. My daily calorie goal is 1,450. I am currently doing a 30% carb, 40% protien, and 30% fat split. so 109c/145p/48f Any recomendations to this? am i on track, or way off? thanks!!

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I'm set for 40,30,30 c/p/f but reality is, it usually comes in 30/30/40 (c/p/f) at the end of the day. Female, 5'6", 140ish. 60 years old and proud of it!
  • Cheyenne_K_
    Cheyenne_K_ Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    1,450 sounds really low for a dude. Are you planning on logging and eating back your calories burned?
  • GurrCentral
    GurrCentral Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    1,450 sounds really low for a dude. Are you planning on logging and eating back your calories burned?

I haven't been (haven't worked out this week), but when I do start back with crossfit, I could do this.

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options

Agreed. What weight loss goal do you have your diary set to OP? From the numbers you provided, you might have set a too aggressive weight loss goal. You probably don't have much to lose, so you should really only aim to lose 0.5 to 1 pound per week.

FWIW:
    I'm currently set for a 35/35/30 carb/protein/fat split. It works out to 158grams/158grams/60 grams on 1800 calories a day.
    What I actually eat is closer to 25/40/35 split c/p/f (100 grams/160grams/60grams).
    Female, 5'8, 175ish, mid-20s.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,990 Member
    Options
    Since what your body really needs is at least a minimum amount (x grams) of protein and fat, depending roughly on your weight, the whole systems of setting macro goals by percentage is pretty pointless. I guess if you want to rely on that, set them so the % will equal those minimum amounts of fat and protein if you're eating your base calorie goal (without the increase you get if you log exercise as cardio), and then make sure you're hitting those minimums for protein and fat.
  • GurrCentral
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »

Agreed. What weight loss goal do you have your diary set to OP? From the numbers you provided, you might have set a too aggressive weight loss goal. You probably don't have much to lose, so you should really only aim to lose 0.5 to 1 pound per week.

FWIW:
    I'm currently set for a 35/35/30 carb/protein/fat split. It works out to 158grams/158grams/60 grams on 1800 calories a day.
    What I actually eat is closer to 25/40/35 split c/p/f (100 grams/160grams/60grams).

Ah..haha...I had my goal set at 1.5 loss per week.. i adjusted it to 1lb (i know this is still pretty agressive) but it gives me 1,690 calories.

As far as my macro split, should I find my baseline for a week at the 1,690 calories a week to adjust that?
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »

FWIW:

Ah..haha...I had my goal set at 1.5 loss per week.. i adjusted it to 1lb (i know this is still pretty agressive) but it gives me 1,690 calories.

As far as my macro split, should I find my baseline for a week at the 1,690 calories a week to adjust that?

1690 is a bit more reasonable. Remember, with the MFP method, you should eat back about half of your earned exercise calories. MFP is set-up so that you would lose weight even if you couldn't/wouldn't/don't want to workout.

Macros aren't as important as calories when it comes to weight loss. Eating more protein and fat will help you feel fuller on fewer calories, but carbs are a good source of energy. I would say go with what you said you have (30c/40p/30f) and see how you feel after a few weeks (3-4). If you don't like that split, play around with your macros until you get to a split that you enjoy/can eat for a length of time.

EDIT: Like the PP mentioned, your protein should be 1 gram per pound of lean body mass (or roughly 0.8 grams per pound of body weight). Fats should be 0.3-0.4 grams per pound of body weight.
  • matthewlatch
    matthewlatch Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    that seems really low for your calories. If you're exercising I would think that 2000 to 2500 calories will still put you in a deficit. I'm learning about this as i go along too and Im targeting 2000 calories a day. FAT 70g CARBS 80g and PROTEIN 290g. Exercise 3 times a week = cardio and legs and some upper body.

• GurrCentral
    Options
    that seems really low for your calories. If you're exercising I would think that 2000 to 2500 calories will still put you in a deficit. I'm learning about this as i go along too and Im targeting 2000 calories a day. FAT 70g CARBS 80g and PROTEIN 290g. Exercise 3 times a week = cardio and legs and some upper body.

I think it may be a bit low, but i'm going to see how I feel on it for a few days. with these calories i'm at 56fat, 127carb, and 169protein. we'll see how it goes..
  • joepratt503
    joepratt503 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    That protein is NUTS. If he was 225 and cutting below 8% then I would get it but this guy is 160 and not huge as he put it.

Mate, I think your split is fine and its a good idea to test it out. My impression is that Matthewlatch is right that you could possibly do with more protein but, man, your calorie target makes me sad for you :)
  • GurrCentral
    Options
    That protein is NUTS. If he was 225 and cutting below 8% then I would get it but this guy is 160 and not huge as he put it.

Mate, I think your split is fine and its a good idea to test it out. My impression is that Matthewlatch is right that you could possibly do with more protein but, man, your calorie target makes me sad for you :)

Thanks! ya, just trying to get lean for summer! haha, learning as i go as well!