Help me!

Options
I need help with eating. I literally do nothing but eat and watch TV before I scramble to burn off my extra calories. I usually end up under my goal, but I'm sick of this. Over 2000 calories a day of junk! And I've already seen the scale go up 4.5 lbs in a week. Any advice on this?

Replies

• KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    You either want it or you don't. You will have to stop giving in to temptation and practice more self control. Maybe try and find something to keep you busy or occupy your time more so that you are not thinking about eating.

If you were ready and really wanted to lose weight....then you wouldn't have eaten over 2000 calories a day in junk and would not be gaining weight. It's all in your head.
  • keeponlaughing
    keeponlaughing Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Turn off the TV? No sarcasm intended.
  • sk1nnyf0rm3
    sk1nnyf0rm3 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    KylaDenay wrote: »
    You either want it or you don't. You will have to stop giving in to temptation and practice more self control. Maybe try and find something to keep you busy or occupy your time more so that you are not thinking about eating.

If you were ready and really wanted to lose weight....then you wouldn't have eaten over 2000 calories a day in junk and would not be gaining weight. It's all in your head.

I see where you're coming from, but I literally can't stop myself when I start eating. Like, I don't have control anymore. I just go, go and go. And can't stop. It's like something else is controlling my feet and hands and mouth and making me eat and get up to go to the kitchen and get more junk. I can't control it...And I hate myself so much for how much I'm eating. But I can't stop. It makes me just wanna rip all the fat off my body. But then I just can't stop myself from eating more and more junk
  • sk1nnyf0rm3
    Options
    Turn off the TV? No sarcasm intended.

What are good things to do instead of TV? I don't have my own transportation and it's freezing outside...
  • Arliah
    Arliah Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Get a hobby (no sarcasm intended, either). Something to keep you busy.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Keep the junk out of the house. Eat vegetables while you watch TV.
  • Arliah
    Arliah Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    That all being said, if you have a serious problem, you should get help. You don't say if you work or anything like that, so that makes it a bit hard to give advice, too.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options

I see where you're coming from, but I literally can't stop myself when I start eating. Like, I don't have control anymore. I just go, go and go. And can't stop. It's like something else is controlling my feet and hands and mouth and making me eat and get up to go to the kitchen and get more junk. I can't control it...And I hate myself so much for how much I'm eating. But I can't stop. It makes me just wanna rip all the fat off my body. But then I just can't stop myself from eating more and more junk
    Oh I understand. I am the same way as long as there is junk in my home, I will eat it. Then I realized that I must not want to lose weight if I'm doing that. It is hard for some people, but you have to ask yourself what is more important. Being overweight and the feeling of hating yourself....or losing weight and feeling good about yourself. Really are those calories worth it??

Don't deprive yourself. If you can manage to just eat less of those things and stick to your goals you will lose weight. If you can't do that then you have to keep it out of your house. If you can't do that, then you really just aren't' ready for this yet.

Stop hating yourself. Learn to love yourself first. I think you have to get your mind right. You can do this!!
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Change your habits. Change your routine. Need a little more info, but can you NOT turn on the TV in the morning and workout first? If you're eating that much junk, can you stop buying it in the first place? Or, if it's in the house for the rest of your family can they store it elsewhere?

Ultimately, you'll need to teach yourself that NOT eating it feels better than filling up on unhealthy foods. It really is worth it and you'll feel so much better about yourself. You can do this!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

This.

You have to want it, and you have to be ready.
  • pplastics
    pplastics Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    For me, healthy food did not taste as good until I stopped eating the junk.

My doctor had me do the following, and it helped a lot: I ate as much as I wanted of lean proteins (yogurt, chicken, turkey, fish), fruits (one to two servings a day), and unlimited veggies for about a week. Then, I slowly started re-incorporating other foods in, but stuck to eating the bulk of my calories from lean proteins, fruits and veggies. That is how I eat almost every day now. I have lost 48 pounds since May 27 2014. I exercise 6 days a week so I can eat more food. I make the choice everyday, every meal, every snack.

The only person who can make this change is you. Make a plan and set a calorie goal. Stick to it more days than you don't. Wake up, eat your calorie limit, go to bed, repeat. It becomes that simple if you let it happen.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It sounds like boredom to me. You need a broader life. Cold outside doesn't cut it for me; I'm Canadian. Is there a local library, a community center? Volunteer. Do something.

Build a mission statement for yourself. You don't even have to leave the house.
    http://www.franklincovey.com/msb/

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jgnatca/view/halting-a-binge-session-715131
  • jasonraygagnon
    jasonraygagnon Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I wish there was a like button here for the comments, and hopefully the awesome information the posters in this thread have given will help to motivate you.

It is all mental and it will take a couple weeks to make diet and exercise a regular habit. I started this journey with a pregnant wife and although she is very health conscience, there is a ton of junk in the house. I choose not to indulge and you can too.

There are many supportive people here that will help you along, but you need to take the first step.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Go for a walk or a bicycle ride. It is hard to pig out when you are busy outside. And even if you did, you would be burning part of it off.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Move more eat less.
  • ColinsMommaOC
    ColinsMommaOC Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Find a place you can go that does not have food. I believe someone said Library... If it is snow that keeps you inside - go build a snowman. It will have the dual function of keeping you away from food (except a carrot maybe but I think that would be good for you to eat) and getting you up and exercising...
  • MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Your not ready!
  • rnjcb
    rnjcb Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert, but if you don't realize all that you eat, and it is a very large quantity of food, you may need help and support outside of this forum.
    I'm not trying to be rude or ugly, please understand I've done this myself and it's helped me gain much better control of the "mindless" eating I used to do.
    Over Eaters Anonymous, which is a free support group, has many branches in many cities/towns. You can Google a local chapter. There are other support groups if this is not a type of therapy you are interested in.
    Habits that are self destructive come from somewhere, you need to honestly look at what's motivating you to continue with self-destructive behavior.
    I sincerely wish you the best of luck, and remember, it's a day to day journey.
    Keep strong!!
  • JacqueLiveOTB
    JacqueLiveOTB Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi, just curious to ask how much are you trying to lose?
  • sk1nnyf0rm3
    Options
    Arliah wrote: »
    That all being said, if you have a serious problem, you should get help. You don't say if you work or anything like that, so that makes it a bit hard to give advice, too.

I do work and while I'm at school/work I don't tend to binge, but last time I went to school I did at lunch (literally I just had like fruit snacks and a candy bar and some other crap that I can't even remember)