Full up but hungry...

Options
Don't know if this makes sense, but I am usually at my hungriest having just eaten or even a couple of hours after a meal, even though my stomach feels full. Anyone else find this? Any tips to help this? Thanks!

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with feeling hungry?

Embrace it, analyse it ..study what it is whilst knowing that as you've just eaten it is not a real hunger signal...tell yourself if it's still there in 40 minutes you will eat something else ...it won't last that long

Studying how it feels helped me in the early stages
  • cloudpoker992
    cloudpoker992 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Interesting approach. It's strange, I feel slightly bloated and I know eating again will only make the feeling worse - yet feel that I could anything. I guess I am kinda analysing it by asking the question on here. Thanks for the advice, really useful.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You could also grab a drink ...glass of water or tea / coffee etc
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    For me, it's not that I'm hungry.... I just feel like something yummy. Hunger and a craving are very different feelings
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking dehydration.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    how much protein are you getting? if you open up your diary we can look and see if its a mental thing, or maybe dehydration, or if theres a diet issue
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    This happens to me when I don't eat enough protein. What did you eat?
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Drink a pint of water before you eat, or a banana/ apple half an hout before.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    This happens to be if I was too hungry before I ate. For instance, busy day for whatever reason where I go 6-8 hours before eating until I'm famished, then I sit and have a nice big dinner, but I still feel hungry when I'm done.

I try to go on a walk, have a class of water, etc - but if I'm still hungry, I eat something.
  • tjloyjones
    tjloyjones Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Probably craving something sweet?
  • mbushnellWA
    mbushnellWA Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Call it the "thungries" - you THink you are hUNGRY! I was in the same boat - completely mowing through the kitchen in the evening even after a decent dinner. Just wanted different tastes - had something savory, then wanted something sweet, then crunchy, then . . . Finally decided that heavy duty grazing was not an option, got really diligent with logging so I could prove I had eaten only what I needed to eat, and go for water or herbal tea instead. It's retrained my stomach for the most part. I might still have a little bit in the evening, but it's within my quota for the day, i.e. carrots with a little hummus, or popcorn.
  • cloudpoker992
    cloudpoker992 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, some interesting replies and some great food for thought. To be honest, I've never looked too closely at my diet - not good I know, but I guess that's why I'm here. Looking back on the day there is a definite lack of protein and a definite lack of water. Time to sort out the diet!
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Hmmm, some interesting replies and some great food for thought. To be honest, I've never looked too closely at my diet - not good I know, but I guess that's why I'm here. Looking back on the day there is a definite lack of protein and a definite lack of water. Time to sort out the diet!

I too am going to keep an eye on my protein levels on the days I indulge. Last night I had 2 chocolate croissants, and no I wasn't hungry. My protein levels were on the lower side too. Definitely food for thought.

• Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Don't know if this makes sense, but I am usually at my hungriest having just eaten or even a couple of hours after a meal, even though my stomach feels full. Anyone else find this? Any tips to help this? Thanks!
    Interesting approach. It's strange, I feel slightly bloated and I know eating again will only make the feeling worse - yet feel that I could anything. I guess I am kinda analysing it by asking the question on here. Thanks for the advice, really useful.

To me these actually sound like a digestive problem. Have you tried taking a very basic antacid like tums? It took me a while to understand that (in my case at least) that bloated-but-grating-hungry feeling is the result of my stomach not being able to digest well the food already in it and overproducing acid. It happens especially when I have been too hungry before so too much acid in the stomach, or sometimes it's the specific food.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    ETA: It has definitely improved with my changed way of eating and I also find getting adequate protein helps a lot to feel satiated, as people above have said.
  • CariJean64
    CariJean64 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I second the idea that you might be lacking water. Sometimes thirst masquerades as hunger.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Also... If you're not prepared to sit down and eat a whole apple, carrot or whatever healthy option you choose, then you're not truly hungry
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    This happens to be if I was too hungry before I ate. For instance, busy day for whatever reason where I go 6-8 hours before eating until I'm famished, then I sit and have a nice big dinner, but I still feel hungry when I'm done.

I try to go on a walk, have a class of water, etc - but if I'm still hungry, I eat something.

This for me. If I didn't eat enough earlier than I may not feel hungry before I eat, but once I do eat, I am very hungry and feel like I could keep eating and eating. Since I'm eating more regularly now, I haven't felt this quite as much.
  • JacqueLiveOTB
    JacqueLiveOTB Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am thinking dehydration too! If you are dehydrated, your body will mistake it for hunger. Rule of thumb: drink half your body weight in oz of water per day.
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Also... If you're not prepared to sit down and eat a whole apple, carrot or whatever healthy option you choose, then you're not truly hungry

This. If you are unwilling to eat leftovers or vegetables or whatever, then you're not truly hungry. If you're truly hungry, you'll be happy and willing to eat whatever is available.

I've also noticed the thing about antacids helping this feeling sometimes.