Thread for Depression, Bipolar, Anxiety, other?

Options

Replies

• Depression. Starting Wellbutrin. Anyone have experience with this.

I take Wellbutrin XL for anxiety and depression. It works really well for me. I've been on and off it since 2006. I just went back on it a few weeks ago and am already starting to feel a difference. Just give it time to kick in. I take it early in the morning (5 a.m.) to keep insomnia at bay.

Good luck! :)
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    39in39 wrote: »
    I do so well til I have an episode, then all my hard work goes all to Hades. It's just so frustrating.

hello! this right here is the story of my life. I've only recently been able to remind myself that my episodes will pass and the world will not have ended. (Of course it feels like the world is ending, but it never actually does).

I wanted to post in here and see if anyone would like to add me for some extra support or just to have another weight loss/healthy lifestyle buddy.

I've been doing pretty well for the past couple months (with a couple "down times") and would love to have more people around :):):)

~Kitty
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    edises1 wrote: »
    I'm so glad I found this thread. I was surprised too. I have bp2 ptsd. I'm on 5 psych meds plus blood pressure and cholesterol. I was a fast food junkie. I've noticed I'm getting hypo mania. I think it's the change in food.Anyone have this experience?

Hi edises - I definitly notice changes in my moods when I eat worse. Fried foods will send me over and refind sugar will make me very depressed. I'm a coffee junkie (so i have to watch my caffiene intake too) so when I go to starbucks everytime i have to literally remind myself that "those muffins looks awesome but I KNOW they will make me depressed."

It's a struggle but eating clean has been very beneficial in keeping me more stable.
    feel free to add me or just look at my diary if you're curious

xx Kitty
  • aubreyjordan
    aubreyjordan Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Depression. Starting Wellbutrin. Anyone have experience with this.

I've been taking Wellbutrin for awhile now. Best antidepressant I've taken. When I first started, I dropped 22lbs because of the appetite supressing side-effect. My poor habits caused me to gain 20lbs back. But I'm working on those habits :)
  • aubreyjordan
    aubreyjordan Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    fevrale wrote: »
    edises1 wrote: »

I am. I began taking it in October and have been doing quite well on it. Everyone is different but it has worked for me! My only bad side effect has been increased sweating leading to adult acne. But I'm willing to deal with that for how much better I feel overall.

Same here. Acne and sweat!

Have you found any solutions? I've tried salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, Yellow Dock and Burdock Root supplements, and more to no avail...

What finally worked for my acne was seeing a dermatologist and getting prescriptions. I began using Cereve cleanser and moisturizer along with Duac in the morning and Finacea (for Rosecea) at night. My skin cleared up wonderfully.
  • Lynette4321
    Lynette4321 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have bipolar I and I've been dealing with it since I was a teen. I'm 51. I've lost count of the number of times I've been in psych wards over the years.

In 2007 I lost 80 lbs and kept it off till 2010 when I went manic and the meds caused me to gain 40 back. Then I went manic again in 2011 and gained back another 40. Then I gained another 30 before I decided to commit to losing again. My all time high was 328 and I'm at 315 now. Long way to go!
  • harktosh
    harktosh Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Bipolar 2 here. I was diagnosed at 16 years old. My weight tends to swing up and down depending on my mood and motivation. I stopped taking meds for quite a few years and went through major issues. Now I'm on lamictal to even out my moods and it's done wonders, but it seems like it's harder for me to lose the weight. They'll be trying an anti-depressant soon and we'll see how that works.
  • Ethereal_Whisper
    Ethereal_Whisper Posts: 70 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

I am. I began taking it in October and have been doing quite well on it. Everyone is different but it has worked for me! My only bad side effect has been increased sweating leading to adult acne. But I'm willing to deal with that for how much better I feel overall.
    I started Wellbutrin XL (150mg)in November- however, about a month ago i was upped to 300mg. I can't really tell if it's made a difference, but i do remember the first few weeks i started taking it, i was sleepy after taking it. Now, not so much. Other than that, i haven't noticed any side effects. :smile:

I've also been diagnosed with GAD, BDD, and MDD, but i'm due for another diagnosis session, so it may be liable to change slightly. I think the thread/group for us crazies would be a good idea.
  • 39in39
    39in39 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Feeling really good and stable for the first time in a long time. How are you?
  • katesback15
    Options
    Can I join? I have bipolar 1 with psychotic episodes which are under control thanks to my meds, but we all know the downsides of meds!! I put on 42 lbs in 3 months last year and have 63lb to loose in total. I'm a single mother studying a masters degree and have come so far, damn sure I can crack this weight issue and if I can then so can anyone :) xx
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    It takes a while. Sometimes it works. Then, when it does, sometimes you get used to it and have to increase.

It is difficult to be patient and wait for a change for a month or two or three. Necessary, though.
  • dinosaurparty
    dinosaurparty Posts: 185 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Chronic anxiety, intermittent (finally! :)) depression, and somewhat under control BDD here. I tend to react to things that stress me out (like my weight) with total avoidance, probably so I can not have to think about it. But you can only avoid stuff for so long, and when things come to a head I have a tendency to react by overcompensating and not eating enough. I don't starve myself anymore, but not-eating-enough isn't exactly a sustainable solution.

I have a big vacation coming up, so I'm fairly desperate to loose some weight before I'm expected to hang out with people in a swimsuit. Ugh. :(

Does anyone else have a phobia of the gym? All I can think of when I'm there is how much I'm sweating and how terrible and out of shape I am compaired to everyone else
  • transientcanuck
    transientcanuck Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else have a phobia of the gym? All I can think of when I'm there is how much I'm sweating and how terrible and out of shape I am compaired to everyone else

*raises hand*

It's part of the reason why I avoid it. I feel like I just don't belong there. I know that's not true, so I have to change my way of thinking

• dinosaurparty
    dinosaurparty Posts: 185 Member
    Options

*raises hand*

It's part of the reason why I avoid it. I feel like I just don't belong there. I know that's not true, so I have to change my way of thinking

Yeah, I suppose that's the only way to tackle it. So much easier said than done, though! I always tell myself that I'll start going to the gym once I loose weight, haha :) It's frustrating, I really want to do weight training, but it's just too intimidating. Sometimes I can force myself to get on a treadmill, but the weight room is really scary :(
  • cassandra884
    cassandra884 Posts: 29 Member
    Options

*raises hand*

Yeah, I suppose that's the only way to tackle it. So much easier said than done, though! I always tell myself that I'll start going to the gym once I loose weight, haha :) It's frustrating, I really want to do weight training, but it's just too intimidating. Sometimes I can force myself to get on a treadmill, but the weight room is really scary :(

Perhaps there's a beginners class you can take so that you can get acclimated with everything. The gym is very imtimidating! I completely understand what you say about wanting to lose weight before going to the gym bc you don't feel like you belong, I totally understand BUT that's what the gym is for. It's there there to help you get into shape. I have many "in-shape" friends that workout and think it's great when someone who's trying to help themselves get healthier shows up. If you see someone at the gym that looks like they know what they're doing, ask them to show you a thing or two (even if you already know how). In general, most people love helping other people and most people want what is best for others. I'm positive you'll get some good feedback...and if not, just remember, karma is a b**ch!
    You got this!! Don't wait to loose weight to start doing something you want to start now...JUST GO FOR IT!
  • lindseyk622
    lindseyk622 Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Don't compare yourself! Go in and do the best you can. Sweating is GOOD!! And if you feel like the other people are in better shape than you, learn from them! Copy one thing they do, or even ask them for pointers... gym people are usually very nice and remember they had to start from scratch at one point too! :)

• cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I have an anxiety disorder and depression. the gym really helps with all of it. Trust me no one is watching you. They are all into their own thing. Eating right and getting a good amount of sleep is key for me. Things really fell into place when I started working out. I am totally off meds for the first time in 23 years. Loosing weight was hard but I put this poster on my fridge and it has helped me lose 60 pounds since June.

Most people sacrifice what they want for what they want right now.

I had to make a conscious decision to give up instant gratification. I wanted to be healthy in mind and body. Mindless eating and mindless ranting was not getting me to my goal. I could get me to my goal with making good choices. Being off meds entirely is not possible for most people but I am giving it a try.
  • stellerceramics
    stellerceramics Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Cblue315- good for you taking initiative to get yourself to health:) mine road was similar- deciding what I wanted and what I'm willing to do to get it. Been off meds for 7&1/2 years now.

And as far as the gym goes- I'm helped a lot when I go into things with the mind set that its not about me. Its also really helpful to find a pal who will help you be accountable and make it a fun competition. The hardest part for me is convincing myself I want to do something.
  • 39in39
    39in39 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I think what it boils down to for most of us is that we just need to do what we CAN do at THIS MOMENT. If that's 10 minutes on an elliptical, that's okay. If that's getting out of bed, that's awesome. If it's running 5 miles, more power to us. We just have to figure out what we can do and do it. I think it's ok to not feel bad we can't do what we used to be able to do 10 years ago or even 10 days ago. Just figure out what you can do today and get to gettin.
  • bunnywestley81
    bunnywestley81 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Depression and Anxeity here...been on and off Fluoxetine/Setraline since I nearly had a nervous breakdown 15 years ago.

The hardest thing I've found is "Other people can deal with this? WHY CAN'T I?" and trying to accept that some people are just born with problems and my life is what it is. Some people don't make enough insulin, others seratonin, and that's my cross to bear.

Recently been dropping the dose. Seems to make the supermarket on a Saturday a big No-no for me...I was on the verge or killing people. Instead I ended up crying my eyes out... and again the little voice "other people manage the ignorant idiots without getting worked up..."

*sigh*