Calorie Cycling

Options
has anyone tried calorie cycling to break a plateau and change things up a bit? If so, is it effective?

Replies

• taylormoooon
    taylormoooon Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I've done carb cycling and it seemed to work pretty well but it was because it forced me to lower my calories a little more on low carb days! Are you weighing everything using a scale (not cups unless its a liquid)? I'm on my last 10 pounds and it has been very difficult, but it is because I have to be super meticulous with logging and weighing my food or else any extra calories not logged properly will ruin it!
  • charbrooke
    charbrooke Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    taycupcake wrote: »
    I've done carb cycling and it seemed to work pretty well but it was because it forced me to lower my calories a little more on low carb days! Are you weighing everything using a scale (not cups unless its a liquid)? I'm on my last 10 pounds and it has been very difficult, but it is because I have to be super meticulous with logging and weighing my food or else any extra calories not logged properly will ruin it!
    taycupcake wrote: »

Ok, I've heard of carb cycling. I weigh everything. I'm very meticulous but I'm down to my last 7 lbs and it's tough. I know your struggle!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    this coming week i am going to cycle but its not drastic, just between 1200 (Which was my goal until this past week) and 1800 (current goal). 1200 on a regular basis just isnt enough so im going to try and mix things up and see how my body responds.
  • Kazzsjourney2
    Kazzsjourney2 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I lost most of my weight calorie cycling. You will find a lot of people saying it does nothing....but i find it works really well....i try to structure my higher calorie days to my heavier workout days....i also find mentally it helps....its always a good day when i wake knowing i have a few more calories :smiley:
  • dusjujr
    dusjujr Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    What is calorie cycling?
  • JimFsfitnesspal
    JimFsfitnesspal Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am not clear what you mean exactly. I would be interested in further information.

I do carb cycling and allow myself more on my lifting days. I lift heavy / to failure and that keeps my workouts fueled. On cardio days I am much more restrictive.

I have an easy time getting very low calories. Last time I hit a plateau I was getting sub-1000 net cals so I bumped it up a bit. Is that what you mean?

I am really struggling to figure out where my cals need to be so any info would be great. I am a male so technically I should be getting at least 1800 net per day... but that seems a ridiculously high number to me.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Does carb/calorie cycling only work if you workout/lift?
  • charbrooke
    Options
    this coming week i am going to cycle but its not drastic, just between 1200 (Which was my goal until this past week) and 1800 (current goal). 1200 on a regular basis just isnt enough so im going to try and mix things up and see how my body responds.

The cycle I'm doing is between 1,100 (only on one day) and 1,900. I'm trying to mix it up a little too. Hoping this will trigger my plateau.

• charbrooke
    Options
    I lost most of my weight calorie cycling. You will find a lot of people saying it does nothing....but i find it works really well....i try to structure my higher calorie days to my heavier workout days....i also find mentally it helps....its always a good day when i wake knowing i have a few more calories :smiley:

I've heard mostly good things about it but a few say it doesn't make a difference. I like the versatility of it and it seems it's more sustainable. Today was my first day and a high calorie day so it's been awesome. Thanks for the input.
  • charbrooke
    Options
    dusjujr wrote: »
    What is calorie cycling?

It's staggering calories throughout the week versus the same deficit each day. For example....

Monday - 1,100
    Tuesday - 1,200
    Wednesday - 1,450
    Thursday - 1,350
    Friday - 1,900
    Saturday - 1,100
    Sunday - 1,450

It woild probably be different for a male. It's viewing your deficit by week versus day.
  • charbrooke
    Options
    Yes, I am not clear what you mean exactly. I would be interested in further information.

I do carb cycling and allow myself more on my lifting days. I lift heavy / to failure and that keeps my workouts fueled. On cardio days I am much more restrictive.

I have an easy time getting very low calories. Last time I hit a plateau I was getting sub-1000 net cals so I bumped it up a bit. Is that what you mean?

I am really struggling to figure out where my cals need to be so any info would be great. I am a male so technically I should be getting at least 1800 net per day... but that seems a ridiculously high number to me.

It's staggering calories throughout the week versus the same deficit each day. For example....

Monday - 1,100
    Tuesday - 1,200
    Wednesday - 1,450
    Thursday - 1,350
    Friday - 1,900
    Saturday - 1,100
    Sunday - 1,450

It woild probably be different for a male. It's viewing your deficit by week versus day.
  • charbrooke
    Options
    Does carb/calorie cycling only work if you workout/lift?

I think it can work with or without exercise. On your higher calorie days, it could much less of a deficit but I would think it would still work.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    It can be very effective. I have a few examples of different types on my profile. Any questions, just ask.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Calories in vs calories out is what results in weight loss.

You will lose the same weight if you eat 1500 calories one day, and 2000 calories the next and 1000 the next.. as you would if you ate 1500 calories exact every day..

Calorie cycling may just be helpful from a mental perspective. Who wants to eat the same thing / amount every day.
  • charbrooke
    Options
    4theking wrote: »
    It can be very effective. I have a few examples of different types on my profile. Any questions, just ask.

Great! I'll check it out. Thank you!

• charbrooke
    Options

You will lose the same weight if you eat 1500 calories one day, and 2000 calories the next and 1000 the next.. as you would if you ate 1500 calories exact every day..

Calorie cycling may just be helpful from a mental perspective. Who wants to eat the same thing / amount every day.

I figured it was the same. I agree with the mental perspective. I think that's what's selling me on it.

• 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options

Most people are going to reply in the manner that you did but I disagree. It has been proven that there are some hormonal benefits to having days while dieting when you get to eat more. How much it helps remains the great debate. I have witnessed great success using this technique in many, many people that were having trouble losing weight. Whether its mental or not is a moot point. If it works, it works. The key to losing weight is finding something that you can stick with.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

pretty much, yup LOL