Anyone train Muay Thai?

Options
2»

Replies

• zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    How about you just go to the gym and actually see what it is all about? Seriously, dude... Your cousin has a MT gym right around the corner and you post on the interweb asking what it might be like...?
  • pebs1081
    pebs1081 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    iloseityes wrote: »
    Can anyone point me towards a good Muay Thai 101 link, or perhaps (generously) sum up what I could expect from it? My cousin has a Muay Thai gym around the corner, and it's crossed my mind to give it a go, but I just don't know what to expect or if it would be for me. Anything any Muay Thai afficionado's could share would be greatly appreciated - I love to see from passionate people what inspires their passion :smile:

You should definitely check it out and try it for yourself!!! ☺
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    sarahc1081 wrote: »
    You should definitely check it out and try it for yourself!!! ☺

I may do. Right now there are a few too many things vying for my attention, without the requisite time to attend to them all. I might be inclined to bump Muay Thai from its position on the periphery of my radar if I knew more about it, thus my post for a little info :smile:

• kimischumi
    Options
    I train in mma, mostly muay thai for stand up and bjj (gi and no gi) for ground
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    zipa78 wrote: »
    How about you just go to the gym and actually see what it is all about? Seriously, dude... Your cousin has a MT gym right around the corner and you post on the interweb asking what it might be like...?

Yes, I'm asking what it's like. I don't have a background in martial arts, and with current fitness and other commitments don't have time to commit to something else right now. That may change in the near future when I can fit in a few more hours for something, thus my post for a little info.

Also this thread seems to be full of those passionate about Muay Thai, and I'm genuinely curious as to the root of that passion for them and what makes it worthwhile for those who love it. This is usually not something immediately apparent to someone who may just wander into a class, yet could easily play a big role in whether I decide to pursue/ persevere with it, just as listening to a photographer speak of their great passion for their craft might otherwise still one's reaction to drop the camera when all they can do is produce horrible images upon picking up a camera, lol.

• Sheila632015
    Sheila632015 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi. I started in a Muay Thai Fitness class about 7yrs ago. Then 3 years ago that class was discontinued. I then joined the dojo,s Muay Thai class and love it! It is an amazing workout. It is important to find dojo (gym) with experienced trainers especially if you are looking at competing. I am not going to be competing,but I definitely train as if I do. Where I train the Kru(coach) is awesome at working with those that are training for fitness purposes and those that want to compete and go pro. It's a good idea to combine weight training and other cardio to enhance your endurance level as well. The reason I am not going to be competing is I am a 51yr old female and work in a professional office. The reason I stated doing Muay Thai is I have been working out since my early 20's and became extremely bored with aerobic classes and have a hard time keeping weight on when I do too much running. Best to you in whatever fitness/ healthy living decision you make
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I am on a temporary hiatus for health reasons, but I'm hoping to be well enough to start again soon. It's so addictive. I started just to get in shape thinking I'd never step into the ring, but one thing led to another and last June I won a TBA North American Championship belt. I never thought all those years ago that it would become such a big part of my life.

I really miss it but I'm doing everything I can to get well so I can start training again. With any luck I'll be back in the gym this summer and back in the ring before the year is out.

For those of you looking for info on MT, and anyone doing it who wants great tips and motivation, I recommend Muay Thai Guy. He has tons of awesome articles, videos and e-books.

I could talk about MT all day, so feel free to add me as a friend if you want to talk shop
  • slrose
    slrose Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    ive trained mai tai.....

very good at that but i dont think it counts
  • angel388
    angel388 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I did a few years back.. loved loved, best mind and fitness ever!! Went over toThailand and spent 5 weeks over there training at a camp just out of Phuket. The little kids put me to shame. One.of the best experiences of my life. And so so cheap.
  • muaythaijunkie
    muaythaijunkie Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I do. Have been for over 8 years now on and off. But now that I have moved back to my gym I go 3-4 times a week and planning on my first fight come August/September
  • Katiebug0925
    Katiebug0925 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Super late to this thread but yes!!! I love muay thai! I've been training for about 2 years now and really want to be able to fight someday! :)