Starting a Vegan Lifestyle- Need HELP!

Tomorrow I am going to start eating vegan, anyone want to join me? I need help.

Replies

• enrique
    enrique Posts: 24 Member
    Have you considered a vegan protein? Most vegan diets lack enough protein for satiety. Might wanna consider something like Gardenia. All natural, GMO-free, and vegan friendly.
  • yhealthy2000
    yhealthy2000 Posts: 111 Member
    My daughter is a vegan. And, she is a picky eater. I make lots of stuff for her from scratch like mushroom soup, chicken-less noodle soup, cauliflower alfredo sauce. All of these recipes are online. These are easy to make & you can make double the amount & freeze for later. There's recipes for muffins, cakes, ice cream. Also grocery stores have many vegan products. I can certainly help. Ask me for recipes & I will send you. All the best!!
  • Oh, I have all the resources. I have many recipes on Pinterest and I know all the vegan proteins out there... I just want to add some people on FitnessPal who eat vegan or want to eat vegan.
  • Thank you guys for helping :)
  • HeidiHirtle
    HeidiHirtle Posts: 126 Member
    I'm not perfect and I prefer to classify myself as plant-based, but I'm definitely a 98% vegan girl, so feel free to add me! I keep an open diary too. :smile:
  • Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    Yer i might eat a vegan tomorrow.

Thinking spit roast with a nice baste till crispy
  • ebtaylor137
    ebtaylor137 Posts: 32 Member
    I'm vegan! Have been for years, feel free to add me. Are you going from omni to vegan or vegetarian to vegan? I didn't find the transition from vegetarian to vegan to be too difficult, I can answer questions or anything about it.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    I hope this is something you've been slowly building toward and you're not suddenly giving up meat/dairy etc. cold turkey tomorrow without first experimenting with recipes and finding suitable replacements. I also hope you're doing it for a serious moral reasons or because it suits your tastes and not as a way to lose weight.

I was vegetarian for several years. I experienced a radical shift is taste and went back to eating meat. I am very lucky to be able to source the meat I buy to local farms with ethically raised animals. http://plantbasedonabudget.com/ is a nice resource and if you are not familiar with nutritional yeast, I'd pick some up.
  • sjhaar
    sjhaar Posts: 43 Member
    I have been vegan but have slipped more into vegetarian mode. I felt so much better when I was vegan! Definitely need to get back into it and need all the support I can get, so I will be joining you!
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    I hope this is something you've been slowly building toward and you're not suddenly giving up meat/dairy etc. cold turkey tomorrow without first experimenting with recipes and finding suitable replacements. I also hope you're doing it for a serious moral reasons or because it suits your tastes and not as a way to lose weight.

I was vegetarian for several years. I experienced a radical shift is taste and went back to eating meat. I am very lucky to be able to source the meat I buy to local farms with ethically raised animals. http://plantbasedonabudget.com/ is a nice resource and if you are not familiar with nutritional yeast, I'd pick some up.

You said "giving up meat/dairy cold turkey".

Lolcats at this hipster....sweet irony!

• corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Tried it, and quickly ran into a critical issue that cannot be supplemented out of existence. Fortunately the best source of what I needed was an animal product other than meat that can be easily and affordably had from humane sources. Beyond what is necessary to address that issue, I don't eat animal products.
  • likehlikeo
    likehlikeo Posts: 185 Member
    Vegan and loving it. I ate a ton of Tofu, Saitan, Soy Milk etc. anyways, so transitioning was natural and easy. We always cook super tasty curry, homemade veggie pizza, pasta with olive sauce and what not...had a great lentil soup yesterday...Thinking about making vegan burritos/wraps tonight :)
  • JacquiH73
    JacquiH73 Posts: 124 Member
    Vegan diet for 19 days now. Feel free to add me.
  • I was vegetarian for a year, then started eating meat again. Now I am real sure that I want to be full vegan. I believe it's the ethical way to go, plus it will make me feel better about myself since I will be saving animals.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    I was vegetarian for a year, then started eating meat again. Now I am real sure that I want to be full vegan. I believe it's the ethical way to go, plus it will make me feel better about myself since I will be saving animals.

I'm sorry.... LOL!

• TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    corgicake wrote: »
    Tried it, and quickly ran into a critical issue that cannot be supplemented out of existence. Fortunately the best source of what I needed was an animal product other than meat that can be easily and affordably had from humane sources. Beyond what is necessary to address that issue, I don't eat animal products.

Just wondered what the 'critical issue' was?
  • KGRebelRanch
    KGRebelRanch Posts: 109 Member
    As an FYI, the book Passionate Vegetarian has a bunch of recipes that can easily be made vegan. I was veggie for 11 years-then I realized my issue wasn't the eating of the meat, it was the way it was raised. So now I raise my own meat, eggs, and dairy.

Best of luck to you :)
  • Thanks for recommending the book :) i will definitely check it out
  • Negriita2010
    Negriita2010 Posts: 45 Member
    im also wanting to start a vegan lifestyle addme need motivation support and recipies
  • sing809
    sing809 Posts: 54 Member
    http://minimalistbaker.com/vegan-gluten-free-black-bean-brownies/
    I modify these by adding orgain chocolate fudge protein powder( also vegan).

You can make a substitute for eggs by mixing 1 tbsp flax with 3 tbsp water and letting it sit for 15 minutes. This trick is often enough to convert your recipe to vegan.

Best vegan protein sources:
    Nuts and Seeds
    edamame
    tofu
    tempeh
    seitan
    TVP
    soy, pea, brown rice, and hemp protein powders
    soy milk
  • lifeandleaves
    lifeandleaves Posts: 97 Member
    Join the happy herbivores group here. :) I'm vegan and in that group. Not looking for more friends on here but happynto network in the group with anyone looking for information.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    I was vegetarian for a year, then started eating meat again. Now I am real sure that I want to be full vegan. I believe it's the ethical way to go, plus it will make me feel better about myself since I will be saving animals.

You know, if a lot of you people...grow...into being vegans, then maybe the price of steak will go down for those of us at the very top of the food chain! That would be cool. And ethically, you wont make a dent. Those cows will still be killed for us humans that have evolved to eat meat. Morally, I say you are doing what makes you happy. I will never go vegan unless I am forced to by some situation, like famine or price of meat skyrockets. I believe I will go through one period of famine in my lifetime. In which case, I would be stocking up on butter and fatty cuts of meat.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Personally refusing to participate in exploitation won't end all exploitation, but it will certainly create some form of difference. I imagine even steadfast omnivores agree with that, as there are probably forms of human exploitation that they refuse to support - - even though others continue to do so.

Veganism will only fail to make a difference if you believe that animal exploitation is somehow outside the realm of economics, that is, you think those producing meat, dairy, eggs, and other animal products will produce a constant amount, regardless of actual demand.
  • JordanLomb
    JordanLomb Posts: 20 Member

It's hard to ignore the ethical side of food, I feel you. Been vegan for almost a year now and have done so on a college student budget, feel free to add me!
  • bodyzen
    bodyzen Posts: 122 Member
    I'm vegan! Would really love to connect with other fruit and veggie lovers! :) Feel free to add me!
  • mkup04
    mkup04 Posts: 12 Member
    Can any one help me with a question? What are higher vegan proteins other than soy? I can not eat soy. Thanks!
  • protein powder=16 grams, peanut butter sandwich= 15 grams , hempseed=10 grams.
    Here's an article on protein for vegans: http://greatist.com/health/complete-vegetarian-proteins
  • Dragon303
    Dragon303 Posts: 15 Member
    mkup04 wrote: »
    Can any one help me with a question? What are higher vegan proteins other than soy? I can not eat soy. Thanks!

I like hemp protein (hemp hearts are really tasty on salads) and seitan (wheat meat) as a main dish. No soy in either. Veganomicon cookbook has some great seitan recipes.

I'm 98% vegan for a year and my diary is open - feel free to add me.
  • Dragon303
    Dragon303 Posts: 15 Member
    Someone already mentioned the Happy Herbivore for veggie support... The Team Vegan group has some great tips too.

• yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    @Dragon303 - can you post links to the groups please - since MFP improved things here it is a nightmare to search for groups.