Gaining weight instead of losing! Help

Options
Hello!

I'm 31 years old, mom of two! I've always been very active! I usually weigh around 120. My doctor put me on birth control to help regulate my cycles and it was awful! I'm on week two of being off of it because I was so depressed and felt terrible! I also gained 15lbs!! I'm doing everything I know of. Drinking tons of water, whole foods with protein, and exercising to burn 300 calories daily! I'm not losing a single thing and only gaining! I'm on the verge of tears, so frustrated and not sure what to do anymore! Any input would be so grateful!

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    You don't say how many calories you are consuming? Perhaps if you opened your food diary you would receive some suggestions..
  • Kimmiecupcakekills
    Options
    May i ask what birth control? Some are known for putting on large amounts of weight. I gained about 59 pounds in about 2 months on it even with diet and exercise. So it may not be your fault. Depo is known to cause weight gain and one that goes in your arm I'm not sure of the name.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you might have had an increase in appetite from birth control, ended up eating more, and therefore gained weight.
  • seraphinos
    Options
    It was called Minastrin 24 Fe. I'm on 1000 calories a day. I know everyone says eat more to lose weight but I'm telling you it does not work for me. I eat more and I weigh more...simple as that. I'm only 5'1. I grew up weighing 110. But at this point I'll take anything to get below what I am, I am miserable and nothing fits. I feel like a rat on a wheel doing everything I'm supposed to and losing nothing. A friend suggested having my thyroid checked. However losing weight has never been a problem like this for me.
  • mel02monroe
    mel02monroe Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I don't really have much to help with, but at 32 I am finding it much harder to lose weight than ever before. Your body works differently as you age so it probably won't be as easy as before. Maybe you could speak with your doctor about your calorie needs to make sure you are getting proper nutrition.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary?
  • shy6387
    shy6387 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    When your depressed u eat more. but you are a grown woman now, your 31 years old and weigh 135 right? That's still considered a healthy weight for u. Your not young anymore and you have 2 kids. Don't try to look like the average girl from a magazine weighing 100lbs.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    shy6387 wrote: »
    When your depressed u eat more. but you are a grown woman now, your 31 years old and weigh 135 right? That's still considered a healthy weight for u. Your not young anymore and you have 2 kids. Don't try to look like the average girl from a magazine weighing 100lbs.
    She's 5'1. She's not looking to be super-skinny for her height. And 31 is still pretty damn young.

Personally, I've experienced the same thing with some forms of birth control. I lost weight and kept it off for years, but when I went on Depo, even while logging my food and exercising the same as when I lost and maintained, I gained weight. I wasn't eating more. I wasn't exercising less. I didn't suddenly forget how to do something I'd been doing for years. ;)

I firmly believe that some hormonal medications mess up the metabolism of some people. If everyone's body worked the same, we wouldn't need a zillion different forms of every medication.

I recently gained weight from steriods for a back injury. I had been losing regularly, then BAM, ten pounds, and not just water weight. It sucked.

As far as advice, talk to your doctor and see if there's any other forms of BC you can try. It may take a while for the effects of the one you were on to fully leave your system. Until then, stay strong. Log everything you eat, make sure you're weighing and measuring your foods.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

No always. When I'm depressed, I eat less.

Though I love the rest of what you say. :)
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    You say you're on week 2 of being off of it. So that's 2 weeks tops of giving this a go, and your system is probably still readjusting to being off the meds. I don't think it is time to panic yet! Give it more time. Keep doing what you're doing.

Are you coming up to another menstrual cycle as well? I will often show weight gain (if I'm not trying to lose) or weight stall (meaning I'm simultaneously losing fat but retaining water, so it looks the same on the scale) for a week or even two around that time.

But definitely, definitely keep in touch with your doctor for medical support. Don't take this lightly -- the medication caused depression, which means it (directly or not) affected your brain, and you're coming off of it, so that's serious. Bring up any concerns you have. Get any tests your doc suggests. Go get alternative help if you need it.

And I don't mean to make this sound simple and easy -- because it isn't, especially because the meds made you feel "depressed" and "terrible" and you likely haven't regulated back yet -- try to relax -- stress is not great for weight loss or you know, enjoying life. Be kind to yourself. Focus on taking care of yourself. Start thinking of your efforts as aspects of self-care, including the myriad benefits they bring (ex: exercise is not just cals burned) instead of focusing solely on weight loss. Don't feed the negative thoughts and feelings -- try to keep yourself busy, do things you enjoy, etc.

And finally: I guarantee that you are the only person who cares that you gained 15 lbs. Your kids love you just the same, for example, I'm sure of it. And while I 100% believe it's important to lose the weight for yourself if that's what you want... the flipside of that is that it is up to you how much you torture yourself over it in the meantime. It's all you.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I know it can be incredibly frustrating to be a short person, and have to be a small weight. I'm 5'4, while that may be average height it is also considered short.... At 5'1 you'd have to be an even thinner weight. As you have said, you know what works for your body, 1000 cal is enough for your body in your opinion, and that has to be right because you know your body best. It seems to me it is the medication causing this, take a few deep breaths, and organise an appointment with your doctor and see if there is any other medications you could take that you can trial.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    seraphinos wrote: »
    It was called Minastrin 24 Fe. I'm on 1000 calories a day. I know everyone says eat more to lose weight but I'm telling you it does not work for me. I eat more and I weigh more...simple as that. I'm only 5'1. I grew up weighing 110. But at this point I'll take anything to get below what I am, I am miserable and nothing fits. I feel like a rat on a wheel doing everything I'm supposed to and losing nothing. A friend suggested having my thyroid checked. However losing weight has never been a problem like this for me.
    No one here says to eat more to lose weight. Eat less of course.
    What might be happening is that the Minastrin 24 Fe has affected your body such that you need to wait another three or four weeks to notice any change in weight. Be patient. Keep logging carefully.
  • seraphinos
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    seraphinos wrote: »
    No one here says to eat more to lose weight. Eat less of course.
    What might be happening is that the Minastrin 24 Fe has affected your body such that you need to wait another three or four weeks to notice any change in weight. Be patient. Keep logging carefully.

• seraphinos
    Options
    Thank you roda rose-that does make sense. It was terrible. I've never felt so terrible in all my life-truly felt poisoned by it. :(
  • seraphinos
    Options
    I know it can be incredibly frustrating to be a short person, and have to be a small weight. I'm 5'4, while that may be average height it is also considered short.... At 5'1 you'd have to be an even thinner weight. As you have said, you know what works for your body, 1000 cal is enough for your body in your opinion, and that has to be right because you know your body best. It seems to me it is the medication causing this, take a few deep breaths, and organise an appointment with your doctor and see if there is any other medications you could take that you can trial.
    Thank you so much Gabrielle!!!!! For being so kind!
  • seraphinos
    Options
    You say you're on week 2 of being off of it. So that's 2 weeks tops of giving this a go, and your system is probably still readjusting to being off the meds. I don't think it is time to panic yet! Give it more time. Keep doing what you're doing.

Are you coming up to another menstrual cycle as well? I will often show weight gain (if I'm not trying to lose) or weight stall (meaning I'm simultaneously losing fat but retaining water, so it looks the same on the scale) for a week or even two around that time.

But definitely, definitely keep in touch with your doctor for medical support. Don't take this lightly -- the medication caused depression, which means it (directly or not) affected your brain, and you're coming off of it, so that's serious. Bring up any concerns you have. Get any tests your doc suggests. Go get alternative help if you need it.

And I don't mean to make this sound simple and easy -- because it isn't, especially because the meds made you feel "depressed" and "terrible" and you likely haven't regulated back yet -- try to relax -- stress is not great for weight loss or you know, enjoying life. Be kind to yourself. Focus on taking care of yourself. Start thinking of your efforts as aspects of self-care, including the myriad benefits they bring (ex: exercise is not just cals burned) instead of focusing solely on weight loss. Don't feed the negative thoughts and feelings -- try to keep yourself busy, do things you enjoy, etc.

And finally: I guarantee that you are the only person who cares that you gained 15 lbs. Your kids love you just the same, for example, I'm sure of it. And while I 100% believe it's important to lose the weight for yourself if that's what you want... the flipside of that is that it is up to you how much you torture yourself over it in the meantime. It's all you.

You are so right futuremanda!! This really inspired me a lot! Thank you for being so very sweet and kind with your words!!
  • seraphinos
    Options
    She's 5'1. She's not looking to be super-skinny for her height. And 31 is still pretty damn young.

Personally, I've experienced the same thing with some forms of birth control. I lost weight and kept it off for years, but when I went on Depo, even while logging my food and exercising the same as when I lost and maintained, I gained weight. I wasn't eating more. I wasn't exercising less. I didn't suddenly forget how to do something I'd been doing for years. ;)

I firmly believe that some hormonal medications mess up the metabolism of some people. If everyone's body worked the same, we wouldn't need a zillion different forms of every medication.

I recently gained weight from steriods for a back injury. I had been losing regularly, then BAM, ten pounds, and not just water weight. It sucked.

As far as advice, talk to your doctor and see if there's any other forms of BC you can try. It may take a while for the effects of the one you were on to fully leave your system. Until then, stay strong. Log everything you eat, make sure you're weighing and measuring your foods.

That is so true Timorous_beastie! Thank you for understanding! I don't want to be like that but I do want to feel good in the clothes I have. Lately I feel pretty awful. I don't feel healthy at all. This birth control has been like poison to me :(. Thank you for your advice!!
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    If you're only eating 1000 calories AND burning an additional 300, my money is on not eating enough. I have never experienced weight GAIN from not eating enough, but I have certainly experienced not losing.

In my own experience, when I was eating 1200 calories (and on my feet all day as a teacher) my weight loss stalled after 4 lbs. I just stopped losing weight, no matter what I did. When I changed my settings to 'lightly active' it upped my calories to almost 1500. I lost 3 lbs. in three days when I upped my calories and have been losing steadily ever since.

It might be worth a talk with your doctor or a dietician to find out what you need specifically.
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    This blog from MFP just came up on my Facebook feed. You might possibly find some causes here...

https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/5-unusual-reasons-youre-not-losing-weight/?utm_source=mfp&utm_medium=Facebook
  • myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    Options

What a rude response to someone who is asking for help. The OP is clearly feeling down and you have called her old and implied she cannot be attractive. What is wrong with you ????