Gaining weight instead of losing! Help

Options
2»

Replies

• vidald
    vidald Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! I have been going hard for 4 weeks and I have only lost 2 lbs. I know I have lost a few inches but it's frustrating not to see the scale move. Before I quit smoking I could take the weight off with no problem. Now it just sits on me and mocks me every day. I am trying to stay positive and know that my body is changing for the better. The extra weight you see is just that, only you see it and no one else is dwelling on it. Also eating under calories will cause your body to store the fat cause it thinks it is starving. You have to fuel your body and have a healthy balance.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    vidald wrote: »
    Hang in there! I have been going hard for 4 weeks and I have only lost 2 lbs. I know I have lost a few inches but it's frustrating not to see the scale move. Before I quit smoking I could take the weight off with no problem. Now it just sits on me and mocks me every day. I am trying to stay positive and know that my body is changing for the better. The extra weight you see is just that, only you see it and no one else is dwelling on it. Also eating under calories will cause your body to store the fat cause it thinks it is starving. You have to fuel your body and have a healthy balance.

No it does not. If that were true no one would ever starve to death.
  • myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    vidald wrote: »

No it does not. If that were true no one would ever starve to death.

All that happens is that if you eat say 800 calories a day (long term), you will be too tired to do much and weight loss might slow down. If I feel crap, I'm not getting out of bed etc etc.
    If you eat say 1600, you have tons of energy and can exercise longer and burn of lots of calories but you wont wake up and not get out of bed due to exhaustion (assuming eating well).

I don't believe in the starvation mode. At the end of WWII, the average calorie consumption was 800 per day long term. People starved to death all over the place.

I do believe in finding your "Golilocks" zone where you achieve good weight loss
  • Codydylan1
    Options
    seraphinos wrote: »
    It was called Minastrin 24 Fe. I'm on 1000 calories a day. I know everyone says eat more to lose weight but I'm telling you it does not work for me. I eat more and I weigh more...simple as that. I'm only 5'1. I grew up weighing 110. But at this point I'll take anything to get below what I am, I am miserable and nothing fits. I feel like a rat on a wheel doing everything I'm supposed to and losing nothing. A friend suggested having my thyroid checked. However losing weight has never been a problem like this for me.

• Codydylan1
    Options
    This medication does not cause weight gain but if you are feeling depressed, you need to change pill. Depression/stress can cause weight gain mainly due to decreased activity.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    myfatass78 wrote: »
    shy6387 wrote: »
    When your depressed u eat more. but you are a grown woman now, your 31 years old and weigh 135 right? That's still considered a healthy weight for u. Your not young anymore and you have 2 kids. Don't try to look like the average girl from a magazine weighing 100lbs.

What a rude response to someone who is asking for help. The OP is clearly feeling down and you have called her old and implied she cannot be attractive. What is wrong with you ????

I don't get that shy meant to be rude. It sounds to me like she's encouraging the OP to accept that she's a healthy weight already and not to compare herself to others.
  • myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    When your depressed u eat more. but you are a grown woman now, your 31 years old and weigh 135 right? That's still considered a healthy weight for u. Your not young anymore and you have 2 kids. Don't try to look like the average girl from a magazine weighing 100lbs.

What a rude response to someone who is asking for help. The OP is clearly feeling down and you have called her old and implied she cannot be attractive. What is wrong with you ????

I don't get that shy meant to be rude. It sounds to me like she's encouraging the OP to accept that she's a healthy weight already and not to compare herself to others.

Read the original post again. She implied that the OP was old even though she is NOT at 31.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Read the original post again. She implied that the OP was old even though she is NOT at 31.

The wording is a bit blunt, but I just don't get the impression that she was trying to be rude.

Old is relative. I'm 53. :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    When I came off the pill, after only being on it for 6 weeks ...it took me about 7 weeks for my hormones to settle back down

Try not to worry about the scale for another month or so..work on your logging and getting a good range of nutrients and some exercise ...walking is great

You've got this
  • DangerousDUCK
    DangerousDUCK Posts: 181 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    double post oops
  • DangerousDUCK
    DangerousDUCK Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    seraphinos wrote: »
    Hello!

I'm 31 years old, mom of two! I've always been very active! I usually weigh around 120. My doctor put me on birth control to help regulate my cycles and it was awful! I'm on week two of being off of it because I was so depressed and felt terrible! I also gained 15lbs!! I'm doing everything I know of. Drinking tons of water, whole foods with protein, and exercising to burn 300 calories daily! I'm not losing a single thing and only gaining! I'm on the verge of tears, so frustrated and not sure what to do anymore! Any input would be so grateful!

A drastic gain like that is unlikely to be all fat gain, the Pill has probably affected your hormone levels and made you retain more water, on top of that cortisol is produced when you get stressed and guess what cortisol does?? causes you to retain water!.

Keep being consistant with the food tracking and exercise and you will see improvement, also don't obsess with the Scales, water and stomach content weight can account for up to 10lbs change in weight everyday.

Terry