Day one, grocery shopping tomorrow, any help appreciated :-)

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm new to MFP, added the app a few years back but never really used it.

I'm going shopping tomorrow and would appreciate any advice on what I should buy. I don't have a large budget to work with at the moment. I don't really like to cook although I'm trying to change my mindset on this. So any low cost, easy to prepare and cook meal ideas would be great.

One of my biggest problems is I eat the same foods over and over again and get sick of them.

I'd love some new friends so feel free to add me :-)
Thanks for taking the time to read!

Replies

• katab2014
    katab2014 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Can't tell from this if you live in UK or not. Golden rule is to work out your list and stick to it. better still..online grocery shopping stops the old hand jerk when stuff jumps into your basket inadvertently! And supermarkets put extra stuff at end of aisles to lure you in. Buying in bulk may be cheaper e.g pasta etc And if you like salad, I used to make a big bowl of salad a week..
  • shaz_0206
    shaz_0206 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I live in uk but I'm actually going to be in America untill August. I'm quite good at not putting extra things in my trolley, I struggle more with thinking up new ideas for food.
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    It really depends on what you like. Some of my staple items include:

Greek yogurt
    Cottage cheese
    apple butter
    frozen berries
    whey protein
    eggs
    cheese
    chicken
    tilapia
    salmon
    cheese
    salad items
    spinach
    carrots

All of the above items are relatively inexpensive and can make numerous types of meals with different spices etc.

Getting sufficient protein (~1 gram per pound of lean body mass) is key in my diet also adequate fats. The remaining calories are made up with carbs.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    The microwave is your friend for quick easy cooking. Microwavable frozen vegetables are a great addition to any meal just stay away from the ones with sauces. I also have a George Forman grill but any grill or panini press would work for boneless skinless chicken or lean pork loin chops. Canned beans are a bit more expensive than dried but much easier and a great source of protein. You don't have to be a great chef or rich to eat well. good luck
  • jalarson23
    jalarson23 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I hear good things about investing in a slow cooker or dutch oven and my findings so far support this. They make cooking easy and low maintenance. I made Split Pea Soup using my new dutch oven for the first time and it was so much easier than anything else I have made in the last month. The most amount of work is chopping veggies. Something to consider.
  • Ian_Davies
    Ian_Davies Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    The thing that is working for me is eggs for breakfast. They are filling so keep you from feeling hungry for longer, affordable, get the good ones with omega 3. High protein solution and reducing carbs has helped me lots.

Also you can do so much with them, throw in spinach, or ham, chill etc. well you probably know what I mean.

I also have green tea, almonds, anything salad, fish and chicken.
  • CoCa_Oscar
    Options
    The best thing to get is frozen vegetables these can be steamed, sautéed or baked or used to make a quick stir fry. Lean chicken breast, fish can be baked or broiled with some 90 second brown makes a quick meal Ground chicken and low fat ground beef can be used to cook up chicken or beef chili throw in some a can of pinto or any bean you like to boost the fiber and protein along with some vinegar based hot sauce, fresh cut tomatoes and onion will get you a quick meal in 20 minutes or so. If you don't really cook I would start of with some prepared meals to have on hand and then try to make one or two meals a week until you get comfortable and before you know it you will have to quick and easy meals you can make in 20 or 30 minutes as long as you like how it takes and what the sodium you should be on your way to eating more homemade meals. The bottom line is to keep your fridge and pantry stocked with healthy options.
  • DeserveVictory
    DeserveVictory Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I second the recommendation to invest in a slow cooker, especially one that has a timer and will turn itself off (life saver!!). Or just a big soup pot.

One of the cheapest things I do is making a big pot of soup every weekend and freeze it in individual containers for work lunches. Its usually a variation of vegetables, beans, ground turkey and canned low sodium tomatoes and low sodium broth. Message me if you want to discuss different flavors or combinations. I haven't done a full calculation, but I can get one dinner and 5-9 lunches out of one pot of soup depending on the batch, so I think it costs maybe a dollar or two per meal.

The best thing I learned out the grocery store is to stay away from the centre aisles. I try not to buy anything pre-packaged (other than frozen veggies) and load up on perishable items like veggies, fruit, meat, dairy, etc.
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I try to meal-plan for the week. Figure out what you have time to make, and what you'll enjoy cooking (even if you don't particularly like to cook) throughout the week. Make a list of everything you'll need for the week, and hit the store.

I love to buy in bulk. Especially when meat is on sale. I can always portion out large packages of chicken breasts or fish, or pop things in the fridge.

Also, for meal planning help, I'll hit up Pinterest, check out the recipes on here, or do a google search for the types of food you like.
  • lwoods0315
    lwoods0315 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Dannon light and fit Greek yogurt is only 80 calories
    Almonds or a tablespoon or two of crunchy cereal added to the yogurt make it a nice low cal breakfast.
    I get lots of soups that are 90 to 110 per serving
    Hass avocados are a staple for me. Only a 1/4 at a time but they go on my sandwiches on my toast in my soup
    Dole fruit frozen bars for that sweet craving
    Green tea, bottled is great but if you want the health benefits you have to brew your own
    Canned beans and low cal wheat tortillas
    String cheese
    Veggies and hummus
    Eggs
    Chicken breast
    Lots of fruit and veggies
    I also buy the fiber one protein bars for in between meal snacks or a quick breakfast if I have no time.
    Low cal wheat bread. The one I get is two slices for 110 calories
    I sent you a friend request feel free to check out my food diary
  • shaz_0206
    shaz_0206 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone some really good advise here. Shopping got cancelled due to the snow so I will be going tomorrow instead. I will def stock up on some of the intems listed.

I'm going to check out a slow cooker and some food scales.

I've got a good basic shopping list from this thread so thank you all for ur help :-)