What is YOUR Wagon?

Options
Let's see if I can explain this one -- it's one of the two revelations that helped me transition from a lifelong dieter to someone who made a genuine lifestyle change four years ago.

For years, when I'd diet, it would last for months and I'd have good success in losing weight but then I'd fall off the "wagon" and eat poorly. Maybe for a day, or maybe till "next Monday" or maybe weeks or months. My "wagon" was healthful eating and portion control and my "normal" (where I went when I fell off that wagon) was eating without proper regard to portion control or food choices. The result? I'd gain the lost weight back from not staying "on the wagon" long enough.

But something happened when my "wagon" changed. After enough time and focusing on what delicious things I could eat (instead of what I couldn't eat), my "wagon" became the "fat wagon." My new normal was eating healthfully and at the proper portions. The "wagon" still comes around (it always will) but the great thing is that since I was never good at staying "on the wagon" for too long, it means that when I now hop onto my "fat wagon" I fall off rather quickly. The result is that I weigh almost 100 pounds less than I did when my wagon was all about dieting.

What's your wagon?

Replies

• therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    My wagon is eating dinner out at restaurants, and getting take out/delivery at home.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Mine is social eating. It can be dinner at a restaurant or at my family's home for a special event, but I always end up either eating more than I should or eating things that aren't part of my normal diet. I do find it pretty easy now to get back on track, which is why I don't hesitate to accept dinner invitations anymore. I know that one "bad" night isn't going to kill me as long as that one night is surrounded by 6 good ones.
  • slenderncat41
    Options
    Robin, I really like your "FAT wagon" concept. I'll try thinking of it like that for a while and see if it makes a difference. Thanks for the idea!

I probably have an "ice cream wagon". That tends to come in splurges.
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Nice, ladies! I've found, over the past few years as a personal trainer, that folks whose wagon is "naughty" are typically a healthy body weight and can keep the weight off over the years. The folks whose wagon is "being good" tend to be in that group likely to regain the weight and/or not keep up the fitness routine. The fact that your wagon is "naughty" means that you're rarely bad -- so way to go on that!!! :)
  • shefly
    shefly Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thanks for telling us what is in your wagon and like you I have the same wagon. I think it's time for me to change.
  • jrusso28
    jrusso28 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I like that... The "Fat Wagon"

I have only been doing this healthy eating thing for a short time, but it is actually a bit exciting for me to figure out what is in all those "Fat Wagon" foods that I was living on for so long. It has been eye opening to say the least. I cant believe how oblivious I was for so long. Everyone would say you shouldn't eat that or that's not good for you etc, but I just ignored everyone and went along my merry way. Now I pay attention to the labels, and to my "numbers" (cal,fat,sugar,salt,etc).

I originally joined MFP to lose weight, but the goal quickly changed to getting into shape (Losing weight is a side goal).

My life is now focused on eating well and avoiding the Fat Wagon, I hop on every once in a while when we go out to dinner or to parties, but I am conscious of what I am eating, and even when I eat the bad stuff I know that the minute i walk out of the restaurant or party I am going back to my normal routine and leaving that fat wagon behind.

It really is a way of life for me now, it's just sad that it took me so long to realize how I should be eating.
  • JaimeLaRae
    JaimeLaRae Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    My wagon would have to be social eating an of course, my wine. I work in sales and eat out all the time and it's not always easy to make good choices! Heck last Friday I was out on a golf course serving beer and bratwurst to tournament players. LOL I'm learning though, and making better and better choices as time goes by.

I like this concept, at least being "off the wagon" means I'm walking... And burning calories! :happy:
  • els1313
    els1313 Posts: 8
    Options
    My wagon, it the social eating and drinking with my friends on the weekend. I will do well all week with eating healthfully, but then its late and chicken fingers and beer sound so tasty. I'm learning that this is okay once and awhile, as long as I don't make it a habit and get right back on plan the next morning.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Sounds a little like me.. Years and years ago my "normal" was eating anything I wanted at any time.. Fast food twice a day, no veggies, processed refined everything, sugary drinks.... My "wagon" was a very low fat diet (this was the early 90s when low-fat was all the rage) and also very low, sometimes dangerously low calories.

Now my "normal" is eating mainly a high fiber high omega 3 whole foods diet with lots of fresh fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. The portions are not measured but I use small plates and small bowls. Unfortunately, this "new normal" also includes indulgences in fast foods in order to "scratch an itch" and sometimes other processed foods like store bought cookies or brownies made from a mix... So yeah, my new normal is a lot healthier than my old normal, in that it is overall much much healthier, but it's still not where it needs to be.. baby steps!

My new wagon is much more sensible than my old wagon. My new wagon is measuring and counting calories (even though I'm still working on entering them in here, I'm still counting them) My new wagon is eating back some of the calories from exercise if I've exercised a lot.

The good news is that the majority of foods that I eat in my "new normal" I'm also eating when I'm on "the new wagon" so there is not a huge gap between the two like there used to be back in the old days. Hopefully this will help me be more successful with weight loss this time around.
  • iarookie
    iarookie Posts: 140
    Options
    I dont know what my wagon is... I usually just get frustrated by a slow down in weight loss and all the hard work so I just piddle out. It is so much easier than cooking healthy and having to plan everything. Im not really a yoyo dieter- Im on the steady gain of 5-10 pounds a year eating crappy all the time dieter.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    My wagon could easily be my answer to another recent thread. It's the "just one wagon" that comes from thinking that just the ONE slip won't matter.

The ONE chocolate bar, the ONE night on beer, the ONE day of celebration, the ONE week of holiday, the ONE month of job stress...
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Nice, ladies! I've found, over the past few years as a personal trainer, that folks whose wagon is "naughty" are typically a healthy body weight and can keep the weight off over the years. The folks whose wagon is "being good" tend to be in that group likely to regain the weight and/or not keep up the fitness routine. The fact that your wagon is "naughty" means that you're rarely bad -- so way to go on that!!! :)

Okay, maybe my brain is on overload today or I haven't had enough coffee yet, but I am not following you on this (above)...please 'splain further what you mean by this!

I guess my only "wagon" would be the Frustration wagon...my weight loss is always VERY slow (1/2 lb./wk on average) due to my Hashimoto's, age, menopause, etc. and I am okay with that, but when I am working hard & I go 3+ months without a loss, it's hard not to jump on that wagon & give up. Thankfully, I've only jumped aboard once over the last 2.5 years (BIG mistake!) & it took me 8 months to jump back off & get back to it. Next time that wagon comes around, I'm gonna kick it in the axle and tell it to get lost! :laugh:
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I think (I hope?) that my wagon has changed. But I'm only 1/3 of the way through the weight-loss and I'm not confident enough in my fledgling skills to say with certainty that it has.

In the past, my wagon was Perfectionism. I was all or nothing. A student or F student, and nothing in between. So, I could lose weight, exercise, cook, manage my portions...but only when I put all of my energy into it. I could be the valedictorian of weight loss. But a busy week, unexpected event (i.e. life), or a cold would completely throw me off the wagon. And I would never get back on again. That perfectionist thinking also translated into my expectations. I wanted to do it Right and never have to do it again. If I did it perfect enough, the results would be quick and I could live the rest of my life in perfectly skinny bliss eating everything I wanted. Of course, Real Life, never lived up to that perfect picture in my head and each year I found myself a little bit heavier than I was the year before.

Because my current weight-loss journey began with a health crisis, it's easier for me to maintain my perspective this time. I look at every choice I make as one that promotes my health or detracts from it. My Mother's Day dinner at PF Changs sent my blood pressure soaring and rocked me with a day of vertigo. I enjoyed the meal, but I didn't protect my health. In the past, I would have either made no connection between the two, or I would have been sent into a wave of depression because I made a "bad" choice. Now, I learn from it and use it to make better decisions in the future. No dwelling, no guilt.

So, maybe my current wagon is Staying Present. I have been on it for a few months, and the focus on the Now has definitely been transformative (and not just of my waistline). Sometimes, I get off this wagon and start obsessing about "When am I going to weigh less than 200 lbs?" or "Am I ever going to fit size 10 pants?". But, I get right back on and simply manage my choices Today, the only day I have.
  • carmenstop1
    carmenstop1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I like what you say about focusing on the delicious food you can eat instead of the things you can't. I know sometime I get caught up in thinking I wish I could eat this or that, when I know it isn't good for me! I might just fill my wagon with all the stuff that I can't eat and push it off a cliff!
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    My wagon is portion control.
    Growing up it was "clean your plate" for reward (usually dessert)
    As a young adult it was, eat it all so you don't have to put it away
    Now it is restaurant serving sizes and buffets so large a taste of everything is too much.

I do great when I plan and prepare my own meals, but I'm struggling to learn strategies when away from home or dining out.
    It is still hard for me to eat half a restaurant meal and leave the rest, but the last thing I need to do is take it home to eat big again.
    The wife and I are going to a fat wagon wedding in New Orleans this weekend and plan to split meals where we can.
  • Jbli
    Jbli Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I think I have a few wagons. :huh: Also training for 1/2 marathons over and over again make me feel like I have my PREGNANCY appetite. :ohwell: So I am very grateful to have found MFP and like that it keeps me in check. I like to give myself a free day once a week. This site has helped me to not get completely OUT of control, noticing ZIG ZAG posts too, kinda sounds similar. WAY back before having kids I did BODY FOR LIFE and it was a success for me. Then 9 years later and three boys... I wanted my body back. I just love good food... so how to do both!!!!! :) a daily FUN balance. I get excited to eat things that are good for me. I feel the energy from healthy foods and couldn't live without my exercise. I don't have a choice and really need to keep up with my three boys...so why not!

Getting back to one of my wagons....Twizzlers Sweet & Sour Filled Twists Citrus Punch/Cherry Kick. Never have been a huge licorice fan, then tried these and would eat them by the bag.:tongue: Ridiculous! awareness makes me appreciate my delicious snack but here and there instead of by the bag.

Also social eating. I try to save up on days I know I will be joining friends, and usually it works out. But for real...work hard, play hard, and then get right back at it. Life is good. We need to enjoy it and not deprive ourselves. Everything in moderation!!!!:bigsmile:
  • ElaineDianne70
    ElaineDianne70 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    My wagon is eating out and wine. I normally eat very clean, but when I go out to eat, I almost go a little crazy. But it normally only lasts one meal and then I'm immediately back on track.
  • aliciab50
    aliciab50 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My wagon is Holidays - it doesn't really matter which one. I crave chocolate, I LOVE chocolate - basically - I am a chocoholic. It doesn't help that chocolate comes in all shapes, sizes, and flavors. It also doesn't help that there are specialty chocolate for each time of the year - i.e. halloween - fall color wrappers - Christmas - snowflake and green/red wrapper - spring/Easter - all the pastel colors - summer - red/white/blue...etc etc etc. For me, if I have one chocolate - I can keep going and going and going.
    It is almost impossible to stop. Since I have started mfp I have tried on having 1 or 2 chocolates (dove dark promises are my favorite) - although sometimes since the bag says a serving is 5 pieces - I indulge. BUT I try very hard not to down the whole bag - like I used to.....since I have to post it. Sometimes I will post it as "alicia's bad snack day"...
    so I guess my wagon is CHOCOLATE!