Not really sure what I'm doing...

Options
Essentially what the title says. I joined a gym about a week ago and when I signed up I had a trainer (a one time session for only 45 mins) who pointed out all the cardio equipment but none of the strength training equipment. When I asked him about the weights and stuff he said "most people overwork themselves" and that I should only go to the gym two or three times a week and avoid the weights competely. But now I've been trying to thoroughly read up on the subject and I am quite confused.

I like the cardio aspect but I want to incorporate strength training too. I also thoroughly enjoy going to the gym and want to go every day even if it is just to do 30 mins of walking. This is all still fairly new to me so I have been ensuring not to overly push myself. I'm sore later but not to the point that I can barely move. The gym I have signed up for is very tiny and doesn't offer much more than equipment. They have trainers but hiring a personal trainer or group trainer is ridiculously expensive.

I'm also having issues tracking exercises properly. I might log that I did "15 mins of biking" but what I'm not putting in is the fact that I have a 25 lb child in the seat directly behind me because MFP doesn't have that option. Or the times when I spend upwards of 2 hours carrying 25 lbs of dead weight in my arms as my toddler is napping in my arms while I briskly walk about the store. (We don't own a stroller. He walks everywhere that we do unless he falls asleep.) How do I calculate things like that? I've been calculating things to the best of my ability but I've lost 4 lbs this first week alone and I'm kind of thinking that went a little too fast.

(Not sure if it's important or not but I'm female, 25 years old, no known medical issues, 5'2", and currently 162 lbs as of this morning. I also work in a printing press where I'm often assigned most, if not all, of the heavy lifting which, of course, must be done as quickly as possible and, more often than not, can last up to three hours at a time. Needless to say I get quite a bit of a workout most days.)

Overall, I'm just very confused.

Replies

• elfof2moons
    elfof2moons Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I can't speak to the gym (I do Dailyburn at home) but when I am carrying my not-so-little one that weighs 30 lbs I log it as walking with an infant. It only accounts for a 15lb child but its the best that I could find. It does give you more credit than walking without carrying anything. Good luck!!
  • GPHX_GEEK
    GPHX_GEEK Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm going to recommend that you visit: www.fitnessblender.com and check out their blog (or their vlog). They have tons of videos where they answer questions and talk about a lot of topics that might help you. They are also a free resource for fitness with tons of fitness routines to choose from. I have learned a lot from them.

As a side note. I hate gyms because of exactly the reasons you described. I have no idea how to work the equipment, how to properly track my routine and I just feel generally awkward. I have been working out at home consistently for 5 months (5 days a week for 30-60 min) and I have had tremendous success. It's also free, aside from the investment Iade in a good pair of adjustable dumbells and an exercise mat. So maybe look into that option.

Also, you may want to consider looking into activity trackers or heart rate monitors. Like Fitbit or Jawbone.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Don't over complicate things.

Put your data into this website. It will spit out a daily calorie goal. Eat close to that every day (or if you prefer, averaged over a week). Don't stress about going over/under by 200 calories or so. You should lose weight doing that alone.

Exercise, by all means, but don't worry too much about the details. Does it matter if your bike ride was worth 200 calories or 250 or 280? Not really. If you're a stickler for details, you can buy a heart rate monitor and it should give you an estimate of how many calories you burn. You can also look up exercises on MFP, but you should cut the numbers in half since they are optimistic.

If you want to - you're not obligated to - you can eat back your exercise calories. Most people eat back only half of them, to accelerate their weight loss and to account for the inherent over-estimation.

Start there and you should see success.
  • MythicalMe84
    MythicalMe84 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have a 3 year old that I push in a stroller when I walk and I also don't know how to log it. That's at least an extra 35 pounds I'm pushing! She's little and only 30 lbs.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    A trainer told you to avoid the weights? Oh boy.

There are three compound lifts you should look into. Bench press, deadlift, and squats. You should also look into rows and over head presses. All can be done in different variations and with different intensity levels (as in, just because a guy is benching 400 lbs for reps doesn't mean you should be doing the same training as he is). I suggest you watch as many Youtube videos as you can to learn. Watch beginner, intermediate, and expert lifters to see how different people do the lifts differently. Always remember, form over weight. Ego lifting will only get you elected as Mayor of Snap City (an injury.) Do weight that you can do safely while still challenging yourself. Ignore what other people can do. Learn proper form and take your time with it. Don't worry about any programming yet, just start doing lifts.

Do not take that trainers advice. If I were you. I'd probably demand my money back for those 45 minutes he/she wasted of yours.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    What are your goals?
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I have a 30-pounder and a 20-pounder I routinely carry around and a 45-pounder who likes to wrestle. I never log that sort of thing because MFP already accounts for activity level. I would rather underestimate my activity than overestimate because my goal is to loose weight. The red or green number at the end of the day doesn't matter. The way my clothes fit does.

Keep it simple. When I overcomplicate things I don't stick with them.
  • TheRoseRoss
    TheRoseRoss Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Don't get caught up on "what do I need to do in the gym?" If your diet isn't what it needs to be. It all takes time, but in my experience a common trap is to focus too much on one thing, fail, and then blame it all on "I wasn't doing the right exercises," without ever looking at your diet. Or vice versa. I know people that changed their diets (only eating organic/going vegetarian/vegan), but have said "I'm still not losing weight." To me it's because their exercise was lacking.

Don't neglect the weights-weight training. This is my personal opinion, but I stay away from cardio machines. I feel they give a false sense of accomplishment ie "I walked for an hour. That's like, a really long time so it must be doing wonders." I was running an all out sprint on a treadmill for 6 mins straight. Then I stepped into the real world to jog around my neighborhood, and was winded 2 mins in. I couldn't figure out why until a physical therapist explained that the belt of the treadmill moved my legs backward for me, so I could go longer due to putting in less effort. Outside, I had to actually push myself forward on the ground, which resulted in more effort, and me becoming winded a lot faster.

I don't want to turn this into a long read/rant: but do not neglect weight training, and fine tune your diet. Also, I suggest not using the number on the scale to gauge your progress. Imagine their are 2 people, both weight 300lbs. Both are 50% body fat. One of them loses 200lbs, so the scale says that they now weigh 100s. However, they're still 50% body fat. The other loses 50lbs, but they're now 20% body fat. We have one person that, according to the scale, is a smaller number, 100lbs @ 50% body fat, while the other is 250lbs, but 20% body fat. Generally speaking, which of the 2 will look better/be healthier? More than likely it's the 250lb, 20% body fat person. Yet according to the scale, they're "worse" because they're heavier. Instead, take your measurements, see how your clothes fit, and use the plain old "eye test." I think those will be better gauges of your progress than using simply the number on the scale.

Go get em!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I have a 30-pounder and a 20-pounder I routinely carry around and a 45-pounder who likes to wrestle. I never log that sort of thing because MFP already accounts for activity level. I would rather underestimate my activity than overestimate because my goal is to loose weight. The red or green number at the end of the day doesn't matter. The way my clothes fit does.

Keep it simple. When I overcomplicate things I don't stick with them.

I agree with this. If your regular activity with your child increases your burns so much that you lose faster than you were expecting then you can simply increase your activity level (e.g. from sedentary to lightly active) and that should take care of it. Simple is key.
  • owlheartt
    owlheartt Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I can't speak to the gym (I do Dailyburn at home) but when I am carrying my not-so-little one that weighs 30 lbs I log it as walking with an infant. It only accounts for a 15lb child but its the best that I could find. It does give you more credit than walking without carrying anything. Good luck!!

I'll start doing this. Thank you for the tip.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Here you go ...this is an excellent programme stronglifts.com/5x5/

Don't worry about the child, consider him an added bonus ...also cut your exercise down to 50-75% of machine burns / MFP database as they overestimate (you can double click and overwrite the calories when you enter exercise) ...then eat them back ...and don't worry about calories on strength training, it's minimal but oh so worthwhile
  • owlheartt
    Options
    GPHX_GEEK wrote: »
    I'm going to recommend that you visit: www.fitnessblender.com and check out their blog (or their vlog). They have tons of videos where they answer questions and talk about a lot of topics that might help you. They are also a free resource for fitness with tons of fitness routines to choose from. I have learned a lot from them.

As a side note. I hate gyms because of exactly the reasons you described. I have no idea how to work the equipment, how to properly track my routine and I just feel generally awkward. I have been working out at home consistently for 5 months (5 days a week for 30-60 min) and I have had tremendous success. It's also free, aside from the investment Iade in a good pair of adjustable dumbells and an exercise mat. So maybe look into that option.

Also, you may want to consider looking into activity trackers or heart rate monitors. Like Fitbit or Jawbone.

Thanks for website! It definitely looks like a good place to start.

And right now a gym is really my only option. There are certain unavoidable obstacles that are unfortunately preventing me from staying home. Normally though, I would definitely agree.

Might just look into the trackers / monitors because everyone seems to comment about them.

Thanks for all the info.
  • owlheartt
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    What are your goals?

My goals are to preferably lose 2 lbs a week and one day be down to roughly 120 lbs give or take a couple depending on how I feel a that time.

• owlheartt
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Here you go ...this is an excellent programme stronglifts.com/5x5/

Don't worry about the child, consider him an added bonus ...also cut your exercise down to 50-75% of machine burns / MFP database as they overestimate (you can double click and overwrite the calories when you enter exercise) ...then eat them back ...and don't worry about calories on strength training, it's minimal but oh so worthwhile

I like that site! Thanks!

Only question I have is about "also cut your exercise down to 50-75% of machine burns / MFP database as they overestimate (you can double click and overwrite the calories when you enter exercise) ...then eat them back". What do you mean by that?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    you should eat back exercise if following the MFP method (which gives you an initial calorie goal excluding purposeful exercise)

you log exercise on MFP by amount of time / intensity it brings up a calorie estimate (also when using a machine at a gym they can give calorie burn estimates)...unfortunately for most people these types of calorie burns are well out, so the advice is to only eat back 50-75% and judge by actual weight loss over time. Best to start at 50%

If you are losing at a higher rate than expected you can eat more exercise calories, if losing at a lower rate then reduce your calories
  • Liftng4Lis
    edited February 2015
    Options
    owlheartt wrote: »
    What are your goals?

My goals are to preferably lose 2 lbs a week and one day be down to roughly 120 lbs give or take a couple depending on how I feel a that time.

Eat at a deficit and you'll lose. Lift weights to retain muscle mass while you're losing. Ignore the trainer, he's an idiot.
  • owlheartt
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    you should eat back exercise if following the MFP method (which gives you an initial calorie goal excluding purposeful exercise)

you log exercise on MFP by amount of time / intensity it brings up a calorie estimate (also when using a machine at a gym they can give calorie burn estimates)...unfortunately for most people these types of calorie burns are well out, so the advice is to only eat back 50-75% and judge by actual weight loss over time. Best to start at 50%

If you are losing at a higher rate than expected you can eat more exercise calories, if losing at a lower rate then reduce your calories

Ah, I get it now. Thank you for the clarification.

• owlheartt
    Options
    What are your goals?

Eat at a deficit and you'll lose. Lift weights to retain muscle mass while you're losing. Ignore the trainer, he's an idiot.

Haha, um, would it make it worse if I said the trainer I worked with is also the owner of the gym?

I will definitely work on lifting. Eating a deficit has thus far not proved to be a problem so I'll continue with that. Thanks.

• kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I personally would talk to the person at the front desk and see if they can help you. Explain what happened with your orientation and express your displeasure at not being shown the weights. Let them know you are comfortable with your cardio orientation and ask if there is someone available to show you how to use the weight machines as your trainer did not even though you expressly asked.

If they can't help you out, ask to speak with the manager and explain what happened. Tell that person you want a basic orientation to safely and properly use the equipment (why you joined the gym) and instead the assigned trainer refused. Tell the manager what the trainer said about going 3 times a week just for cardio and to avoid the weights completely. Tell the manager you are excited to be a new client and joined to build muscle strength to keep you lifting safely and work and to help with your child. They really should be happy to help!

You can always escalate your complaint up to the owner if need be. Please do not "guess" with free weights, or machines. I have seen very serious injuries and permanent disabilities caused from improper use of both which in my opinion were completely preventable.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    What are your goals?

Haha, um, would it make it worse if I said the trainer I worked with is also the owner of the gym?

I will definitely work on lifting. Eating a deficit has thus far not proved to be a problem so I'll continue with that. Thanks.

laughssss, yep, it makes it worse :wink: