Overfeeding: How Far Should I Go?

Options
I understand the importance of infrequent over-eating, but I'm afraid I am going too far. Any suggestions/advice? Is there a limit I should observe?

Replies

• uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Um generally avoid randomly over-eating if you are just starting any sort of weight loss program or fitness program. You might see athletes or fitness people do it but they are very careful tracking everything.

Stick to a caloric deficit for the most part. If you want to treat yourself once in a while that is fine, but don't just go nuts and stuff your face randomly. Just make sure you stay in a weekly deficit. It is very easy to torch an entire week of good eating in one night if you aren't careful.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    What's the importance/point of infrequent over eating? :)
  • bowlesad
    bowlesad Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! I stick to a tight calorie-deficient diet for the whole week, and then do my over-eat on Sundays. I did it in college (I played college ball) but never really had any control. Now that I'm less active, I want to watch it a bit more...
  • uconnwinsnc1
    Options
    bowlesad wrote: »
    Thanks for the tips! I stick to a tight calorie-deficient diet for the whole week, and then do my over-eat on Sundays. I did it in college (I played college ball) but never really had any control. Now that I'm less active, I want to watch it a bit more...

It might be easier to look at your eating on a weekly level if you are interested in treating yourself every Sunday. See what your deficit is at the end of the week and from that you can figure out how many Reese's Cups to eat without ruining everything. B)
  • bowlesad
    Options

I was told it is a way to "shock" or "trick" your body into raising its metabolic rate after it being lowered during deficit... It makes sense, and I am still seeing results while doing it!

I think, for me at least, it is a psychological thing. It is something to look forward to while super focusing on my diet throughout the week!!
  • bowlesad
    Options
    Great idea!! I'm suck a cut-and-dry kind of person with very definite boundaries. Figuring out a specific calorie amount would be perfect for me. Thanks!

• uconnwinsnc1
    Options
    Great idea!! I'm suck a cut-and-dry kind of person with very definite boundaries. Figuring out a specific calorie amount would be perfect for me. Thanks!

On that note, you have to be VERY accurate over the week if you're going to do this. A few hundred calories off every day can make a huge difference come Sunday. There will always be a % error so recognize that.
  • bowlesad
    Options
    Gotcha. I will keep that in mind. I record my food both here and on paper in a diary, so I'm fairly mindful. But it is good to keep that in mind and err on the low side when calculating what I can overeat.
  • bowlesad
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

I was told it is a way to "shock" or "trick" your body into raising its metabolic rate after it being lowered during deficit... It makes sense, and I am still seeing results while doing it!

I think, for me at least, it is a psychological thing. It is something to look forward to while super focusing on my diet throughout the week!!

You're not going to shock or trick your body into anything. It's very efficient at what it does and a day of overfeeding won't change anything.

You say it's efficient at what it does, what is that?