Dealing with siblings eating my stuff?

Options

Replies

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Hi all!
    I've just started trying to eat healthier, I live with my parents and have siblings in the house. I've been buying myself healthy snacks to snack on (such as fruit, nuts etc...) but I'm having the problem of my 13 year old brother eating all my stuff?
    We have family food in the cupboards, but it's all crisps, chocolate, biscuits etc... Which he is welcome to eat(I can't snack on these, obviously.) yet he still seems to thinks it's okay to eat my stuff? I don't mind him taking the odd apple, grapes etc... But he can't just do that. If he starts eating grapes, he'll eat the lot. If he has an apple, he'll have to have 3. I can't afford to keep buying myself this stuff if he's going to eat it all! :(

Now, I've tried sitting him down and asking him politely and he says he won't eat it...And then within the next hour he's eating it again! I've asked my parents to ask him, yet he still won't listen.

Is there any way I can go about this? :(

I would be happy if my brother would prefer apple over chips.I would even share with him if he ever wanted.

It's not her job to buy fruit and vegetables for her brother. That is her parents job.

Money is obviously an issue for her and it isn't right that she is purchasing the food for herself and her brother eats it, despite being told not to.

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Hi all!
    I've just started trying to eat healthier, I live with my parents and have siblings in the house. I've been buying myself healthy snacks to snack on (such as fruit, nuts etc...) but I'm having the problem of my 13 year old brother eating all my stuff?
    We have family food in the cupboards, but it's all crisps, chocolate, biscuits etc... Which he is welcome to eat(I can't snack on these, obviously.) yet he still seems to thinks it's okay to eat my stuff? I don't mind him taking the odd apple, grapes etc... But he can't just do that. If he starts eating grapes, he'll eat the lot. If he has an apple, he'll have to have 3. I can't afford to keep buying myself this stuff if he's going to eat it all! :(

Now, I've tried sitting him down and asking him politely and he says he won't eat it...And then within the next hour he's eating it again! I've asked my parents to ask him, yet he still won't listen.

I would be happy if my brother would prefer apple over chips.I would even share with him if he ever wanted.

It's not her job to buy fruit and vegetables for her brother. That is her parents job.

Money is obviously an issue for her and it isn't right that she is purchasing the food for herself and her brother eats it, despite being told not to.

It could be her job to find another house to store her fruit and veg if she prefers. Geez a little patience and gratitude to the parents, please?

• Katerina9408
    Katerina9408 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    So when I cook something I should hide it in my room ?......omg....
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Hi all!

It could be her job to find another house to store her fruit and veg if she prefers. Geez a little patience and gratitude to the parents, please?

Let's be a little more realistic, please.

Children should listen, like they are supposed to. If the brother listened to what he is being told, there would be no problem.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    Hi all!

Children should listen, like they are supposed to. If the brother listened to what he is being told, there would be no problem.

LOL

How many siblings did you have growing up?
  • awesomewastaken
    awesomewastaken Posts: 92 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    He's a 13-year-old boy, what do you expect from him? Of course he is going to eat everything in sight, that's what teenage boys do (and they insult you as well, while eating your food). Just hide it better or tell your parents to buy more of everything, or get your own place where you don't have to worry about other people eating your food.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hi all!

LOL

Three. We were taught to do as we are told, listen to our elders, and don't take things that aren't ours. :)

ETA: Grammar.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    Hi all!

LOL

Three. We were taught to do as we are told, listen to our elders, and not take things that aren't ours. :)

Probably a couple boys in the mix there, great job! To be honest, for me, the concept of my food vs your food doesn't really exist in a family home. It's just weird. Anything visible in the house is fair game to keep everyone nourished. Unless it's gross and others don't like it. If they do like it, either buy more or be prepared for it to be gone rather quickly (cake, etc). Probably explains some of my inability to keep treats in the house to be honest - some things just get eaten till they're gone

• yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

LOL

Three. We were taught to do as we are told, listen to our elders, and don't take things that aren't ours. :)

ETA: Grammar.

Same. At 13 if I'd knowingly repeatedly eaten food somebody else had bought just for them for a specific reason, when I'd been asked not to specifically, I'd be sent to the shop to replace it out of my pocket money.
  • fallenoaks37
    Options
    Hi all!

LOL

Three. We were taught to do as we are told, listen to our elders, and not take things that aren't ours. :)

Probably a couple boys in the mix there, great job! To be honest, for me, the concept of my food vs your food doesn't really exist in a family home. It's just weird. Anything visible in the house is fair game to keep everyone nourished. Unless it's gross and others don't like it. If they do like it, either buy more or be prepared for it to be gone rather quickly (cake, etc). Probably explains some of my inability to keep treats in the house to be honest - some things just get eaten till they're gone

If it's all purchased by the parents, that would make sense. But she purchased this for herself with her own earnings. That's different. It's not her job to work to support her brother. The brother is old enough to respect that and the parents should address it again with him.
  • fallenoaks37
    fallenoaks37 Posts: 9
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I predict he is going to be one of those people who steal lunches at work. Ugh.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    Hi all!

LOL

Two brothers (one deceased) and a sister.

I totally understand that.

It exists in my home because I have medical conditions (Crohn's, insulin resistance, hypoglycemia, POTS) that require me to eat a certain way 90% of the time. More than 80% of the time, I am purchasing my own groceries because I don't feel it is right for my parents to use their money on food only I am eating. I am also almost 22 years old and can afford to buy some groceries each week.

When my parents go grocery shopping, they ask us to make a list of anything we would like them to pick up. If my sister asks for something specific (usually Caesar salad kits), it is understood that it is just for her.

My brother, who is 19, will buy beef jerky and other snacks and expects us not to eat it. He goes to school in North Carolina now but in the past, he would put the food in his room so it wouldn't get eaten.

Not ALL food is "claimed" in our household. Most is up for grabs for whomever wants it.

If her parents were buying her apples and grapes and whatever else she purchases herself, I would say the food needs to be shared amongst everyone in the house. But because she bought it with her own money, I feel it is disrespectful for her brother to continue to eat her food after he has been asked not to multiple times.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    Hi all!

LOL

If it's all purchased by the parents, that would make sense. But she purchased this for herself with her own earnings. That's different. It's not her job to work to support her brother. The brother is old enough to respect that and the parents should address it again with him.

Again, to store in what house? In what fridge? The idea of food that everyone wants to eat being displayed publicly in a family home and one person saying no, nobody else touch this (and yeah she's trying to lose weight but she doesn't have any dietary restrictions as a result of an ailment such as diabetes or lactose intolerance). It just reeks of selfishness to me. Where I come from you either share it or hide it, or go find some other house where ALL the food would be yours with nobody else to "steal" it from you. Frankly, it would indeed be your responsibility to engage in the negotiations to ensure there is enough for everyone. If fruit and veg is so good for her, why in the world would it not be for her brother?
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    push his head in the toilet and give him a swirly. then he will understand.

>:)

Okay on the serious note, maybe you can save up for a mini fridge in your bedroom?
  • yesimpson
    Options
    I'm not sure that there is absolutely no fruit and veg for her brother if he wants it - the issue could be that the OP has bought her own snacks so as not to rely on her parents providing it for her and so she's less tempted by chocolate, and her brother is then eating ALL of that for whatever reason. She said herself she wouldn't mind sharing with him, but she can't afford to endlessly replace it because it's gone before she gets any.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    I'm not sure that there is absolutely no fruit and veg for her brother if he wants it - the issue could be that the OP has bought her own snacks so as not to rely on her parents providing it for her and so she's less tempted by chocolate, and her brother is then eating ALL of that for whatever reason. She said herself she wouldn't mind sharing with him, but she can't afford to endlessly replace it because it's gone before she gets any.

What I think she should do is get the parents to buy more fruit/veg. A clever twist might be to find some she likes but the brother hates... Ultimately, if even the parents cannot afford to feed the bottomless pit of a teenage boy tummy then it may indeed be time to (re)introduce the kicks in the nuts..
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    "I work and buy my own food with my money. You ate my stuff without asking. That was not communal property. Mom and dad buy your food. My name was on it/it was in my box/etc. You owe me this many $ for what you took."

Buy gross food. Hide the good stuff (my teenager never looks in the potato bin). Label your food. Get a locking box or trunk. Put your food in your room. Get a small refrigerator for your room.
    Talk to your parents about their kid stealing your stuff or have a family meeting about spliting the grocery bill while you live with them. Move out.
  • yesimpson
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »

What I think she should do is get the parents to buy more fruit/veg. A clever twist might be to find some she likes but the brother hates... Ultimately, if even the parents cannot afford to feed the bottomless pit of a teenage boy tummy then it may indeed be time to (re)introduce the kicks in the nuts..

Makes total sense - if the chocolate and crisps aren't being eaten at the same rate, that frees up cash for other stuff!
  • willodawisp85
    willodawisp85 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Again, to store in what house? In what fridge? The idea of food that everyone wants to eat being displayed publicly in a family home and one person saying no, nobody else touch this (and yeah she's trying to lose weight but she doesn't have any dietary restrictions as a result of an ailment such as diabetes or lactose intolerance). It just reeks of selfishness to me. Where I come from you either share it or hide it, or go find some other house where ALL the food would be yours with nobody else to "steal" it from you. Frankly, it would indeed be your responsibility to engage in the negotiations to ensure there is enough for everyone. If fruit and veg is so good for her, why in the world would it not be for her brother?

It seems more selfish for her brother to take all her food, she said she doesn't mind him taking a little, but he snarfs loads of it. We share the majority of our food at home but if someone brought something special I would ask first.

I would say, keep it in your room or ask your parents if they could buy more fruit as your brother obviously likes it.
  • vanillaorange2
    vanillaorange2 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    When I had roommates that would not stay out of my stuff I got a mini fridge for my bedroom. Kept the things I did not want them to eat or drink in it. You could get a mini fridge and then keep your door locked.