Graves Disease, looking for a group to join, and any success stories of weight loss!

Options
Hi, I am battling losing any weight since getting Graves and going through the RAI therapy. They were not able to stabilize me for two years, so I finally took the recommendation from my Dr. to do the radioactive iodine therapy. I have not been able to lose any weight ever since the treatment. The meds put on tremendous weight gain during the two years! I wanted to see if anyone has had any success of losing any weight since their diagnosis or have found a group on here to join for positive support! Thanks! I am Jan and 59 hoping to look and feel fabulous again! Hope this finds you having an awesome day if you are reading this! :)

Replies

• Lolliliquor
    Options
    I was recently put on medication for my thyroid issue as well, only I can't seem to gain weight. The thyroid gland plays a huge role in our health, it's inspiring to see that you're so motivated to make a change!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    MFP has a Hypothyroidism & Hyperthyroidism group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/753-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease). I lost weight slowly, so be patient. But I did it just like everybody else—by eating fewer calories than I burn.
  • DA965
    DA965 Posts: 3 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed with graves disease/ hyperthyroidism and my doctor also wanted to "kill" my thyroid. I chose NOT to allow that and am currently researching hour to regulate my thyroid without drugs.
    Id's amazing to me how much the thyroid effects. Now that I know more about it, I can see that my thyroid has been over- and under- active for years. The problem is that we don't know why... so it's harder to fix.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    DA965 wrote: »
    I am currently researching hour to regulate my thyroid without drugs.

There is no "magic cure." If you don't want surgery or radiation, that's fine. But no meds?!
  • keek27
    keek27 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm new and I need thyroid suffering friends... I know that sounds ridiculous but I'm petrified because I am 275 and want to lose a considerable amount.