Smoking

Options

Replies

• GypsyWagon
    GypsyWagon Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    You can do this! Quitting is hard, but you will be amazed at how good it feels when you don't want one anymore.

Chuck your cigarette money in a jar for a new outfit, vacation, something fun that you wouldn't normally splurge on.

Replace the stress relief factor with consistent exercise and/or meditation.

When you're working on a project that would normally "earn" you a cigarette break, come up with another type of "reward" like message board time on here :wink:

Take a break from your smoking buddies, if you have any. Schedule dates with them where smoking isn't a factor like the movies or the gym.

Know that you it's that you "can't" have a cigarette...of course, you can. But, figure out why you "choose not to"...longer life, better health, pretty teeth/skin, saving money. Nothing makes me want to do something more than to know I "can't". This is a healthy, intelligent choice that you're making...not a punishment.

I quit almost 12 years ago, and it's the best and hardest thing I ever did for myself. I feel so silly now at how desperate I would be when I couldn't smoke...I let the cigarettes control my life. Never again.
  • pjfmaui73
    pjfmaui73 Posts: 408
    Options
    So PROUD of you sweetie...you are such an amazing and strong person...you can do this!!!! Congrats to you and Best Wishes...praying for you :bigsmile:

:heart: Pam:heart:
  • mshealy
    mshealy Posts: 36
    Options
    It's funny I found this post. I smoke about a pack a day and I was telling myself today what a wonder mother's day gift to myself to quit smoking and continue on my healthy lifestyle. My husband and I both smoke. He works out of town a lot so I figure if I can quit while he is away then maybe he will quit when he gets home. Best of luck to you and I just may join you in the quitting club!!! If we can motivate each other on weight loss why not on other issues?
  • SarahJaneDeschamp
    SarahJaneDeschamp Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    It's funny I found this post. I smoke about a pack a day and I was telling myself today what a wonder mother's day gift to myself to quit smoking and continue on my healthy lifestyle. My husband and I both smoke. He works out of town a lot so I figure if I can quit while he is away then maybe he will quit when he gets home. Best of luck to you and I just may join you in the quitting club!!! If we can motivate each other on weight loss why not on other issues?

this would be wonderful, to know im not doing it on my own and also to help each other x
  • SarahJaneDeschamp
    Options
    So PROUD of you sweetie...you are such an amazing and strong person...you can do this!!!! Congrats to you and Best Wishes...praying for you :bigsmile:

:heart: Pam:heart:

thank you so much Pam ♥
  • SarahJaneDeschamp
    Options
    thank you so much for your advice and support mwahhhh xo
  • BillyC96
    BillyC96 Posts: 7,560 Member
    Options
    I will be smoke free for 4 years next month. The NHS Quit Smoking was helpful in the same way MFP is. I got a lot of advice and cheer leading style support. I used the patch, and occasionally chewed the gum. I did gain weight, but it wasn't just quitting that did it. I had also become less active. Now that I have quit I can do a lot of stuff I couldn't before, and I'm very, very glad I quit.

I wish you all the luck in the world. You CAN do it!
  • Cella30
    Cella30 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Today is my one year anniversary of quitting!!! clap.gif I never thought i would make it this far so I'm super stoked. I quit cold turkey and I won't fool ya, it was very difficult. But I promise you, it does get easier.

I would strongly recommend spending sometime on this website: whyquit.com

They have a quit counter you can download so I'll show you my stats:
    unlediah.jpg

ETA: Oh, and most importantly, I LOST weight, not gained. I started eating frequent healthy snacks to keep my blood sugar up and started training for a 5K, since I could never do it with my smoker's lungs. I have never felt better. :happy:
  • BillyC96
    BillyC96 Posts: 7,560 Member
    Options
    Happy anniversary, and congratulations.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I smoked for nearly 12 years and I quit January 18th of this year. You do not have to gain weight. The change in metabolism as a result from smoking cessation is marginal. I used that as an excuse to continue smoking for way to long. I have actually gone down about 10lbs since I quit. Just dont graze when you want a cigarette. I like sugar free gum and candy. I also chomp on toothpicks.

Congratualtions on making a descision to quit. It will be very difficult but extremely rewarding, physically and mentally. Good luck!

The best advice I can give is that there is no such thing as one cigarette. I tried quiting dozens of times before but my efforts were derailed by the thought that I could have just one. Cold turkey was the only route for me.
  • qtpiesmom
    qtpiesmom Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I quit almost 3 years ago now. Know that you can beat being a smoker, all you have to do is have the right mind set. KNOW that you are a non smoker the moment you quit, dont let that little evil stick win you are stronger than it. ITS a Mind thing dont say your trying to quit say you HAVE quit!. Dont let your mind tell you YOU need that stick cause you DONT!! Yes for a while your body is going through withdrawls but you can make it through that part. DONT LET the Hard days get you down KEEP POSITIVE!!
    DRINK COLD and I MEAN COLD water everytime you have a craving. Chew Gum. BREATHE DEEPLY Fill your lungs full of good clean air. Find different ways to deal with boredom, being stressed, and being upset, being that as a smoker we used to grab a smoke NOW your a NON smokers you have to find different ways is all. DONT Sub the smoke with food unless its vegetables keep carrot sticks cut to choose that.
    YOUR Making a GREAT Choice to Quit. Keep your reasons as a motivator.
    Remember you have control over your life from Quitting smoking and gaining weight or to not to. CHOOSE NOT TO GAIN WEIGHT and QUIT SMOKING YOU CAN DO IT!!
  • SarahJaneDeschamp
    Options
    Today is my one year anniversary of quitting!!! clap.gif I never thought i would make it this far so I'm super stoked. I quit cold turkey and I won't fool ya, it was very difficult. But I promise you, it does get easier.

I would strongly recommend spending sometime on this website: whyquit.com

They have a quit counter you can download so I'll show you my stats:
    unlediah.jpg

ETA: Oh, and most importantly, I LOST weight, not gained. I started eating frequent healthy snacks to keep my blood sugar up and started training for a 5K, since I could never do it with my smoker's lungs. I have never felt better. :happy:

wow this is awesome, well done xo
  • SarahJaneDeschamp
    Options
    I quit almost 3 years ago now. Know that you can beat being a smoker, all you have to do is have the right mind set. KNOW that you are a non smoker the moment you quit, dont let that little evil stick win you are stronger than it. ITS a Mind thing dont say your trying to quit say you HAVE quit!. Dont let your mind tell you YOU need that stick cause you DONT!! Yes for a while your body is going through withdrawls but you can make it through that part. DONT LET the Hard days get you down KEEP POSITIVE!!
    DRINK COLD and I MEAN COLD water everytime you have a craving. Chew Gum. BREATHE DEEPLY Fill your lungs full of good clean air. Find different ways to deal with boredom, being stressed, and being upset, being that as a smoker we used to grab a smoke NOW your a NON smokers you have to find different ways is all. DONT Sub the smoke with food unless its vegetables keep carrot sticks cut to choose that.
    YOUR Making a GREAT Choice to Quit. Keep your reasons as a motivator.
    Remember you have control over your life from Quitting smoking and gaining weight or to not to. CHOOSE NOT TO GAIN WEIGHT and QUIT SMOKING YOU CAN DO IT!!

thank you so much x, when ever i feel the cravings im going to come back to this post and read all your wonderful messages, thank you so much xo
  • qtpiesmom
    Options
    So Sarah How are you Doing?
  • mogenfire
    mogenfire Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey in Janurary and haven't looked back once. It's a decision. So decide when you are ready to quit and then decide not to pick up a cigarette and you'll be golden! Best of luck!!
  • mogenfire
    mogenfire Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey in Janurary and haven't looked back once. It's a decision. So decide when you are ready to quit and then decide not to pick up a cigarette and you'll be golden! Best of luck!!
  • myndee
    myndee Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Bump.... 'cuz I know I should but until I'm ready I want to be able to read about all you strong willed people who have quit or are in the process of quitting this nasty habit...
  • EgyptianMushroom
    EgyptianMushroom Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Bump.... 'cuz I know I should but until I'm ready I want to be able to read about all you strong willed people who have quit or are in the process of quitting this nasty habit...

I swear, I've tried at least 3 times now.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I quit in March of this year, about the same time I started watching my diet and exercise. Haven't had a smoke or really even wanted one since. I guess it was just time for me to quit. I had quit once for 3+ years, but took a new more stressful job and within 8 months was back over a pack a day. I occasionally get a craving, but it's fleeting. I bought two packs of nicorette, but only chewed maybe 4 pieces total. My wife quit about the same time and has seriously struggled. She hasn't given in and had one that I know of, she just seems to have more "want one" than I do. Good luck, I believe you can do anything you want to, if you keep your eye on the goal.
  • qtpiesmom
    Options

Be Friend me when your ready to quit Ill talk you through it and build you up :0