On not gaining the weight back...

Options
I am doing this weight loss thing for the second time. The first time, I lost 80 pounds, and I got from my starting weight of 230 pounds to 150 pounds, and I managed to stay there for about a month before gaining back 50 pounds over the course of a year. I've been starting to lose again, but I'm afraid this is just going to be a repeat of what happened last time, and I don't want to do all of the work just to gain it back. It's just a little scary I guess.

I guess my question is for people who've maintained weight loss -- how do you manage it? What's worked for you?

Thanks! I hope you all had a good weekend.

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Stop "losing" weight and make a lifestyle change.
  • francescainwonderland
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

I do; maybe I just worded it incorrectly. It is a lifestyle change for me. I don't look at it like a diet, or that I'm just going to be "done" when it's over. I wasn't at my "goal" when I gained the weight back; I still had a bit to go. Even though I had a healthier lifestyle life happened and I got less motivated and the weight creeped up again. But yes. I understand the distinction between changing your lifestyle for the long run and "losing" weight.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

I do; maybe I just worded it incorrectly. It is a lifestyle change for me. I don't look at it like a diet, or that I'm just going to be "done" when it's over. I wasn't at my "goal" when I gained the weight back; I still had a bit to go. Even though I had a healthier lifestyle life happened and I got less motivated and the weight creeped up again. But yes. I understand the distinction between changing your lifestyle for the long run and "losing" weight.
    That was all I had. :sad: Even when I don't want to, it's ingrained now, so I just do.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I guess my question is for people who've maintained weight loss -- how do you manage it? What's worked for you?

The simplistic answer is eating the right number of calories to maintain my weight within a few pounds either side of my goal weight.

The tools to do that for me are calorie counting, weighing myself daily to spot trends early and a form of intermittent fasting (helps me adhere to my weekly calorie goal but obviously that's a personal preference and by no means mandatory).

So yes there's an investment in time and effort but the rewards are well worth that investment. One thing I perhaps did differently to many is that my weight loss phase included all the same foods and exercise I enjoy - just simply a smaller weekly calorie allowance.

• MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    It's a struggle that probably 95% of people who lose weight will go through. I have journals from back in high school that tell the tale of me losing 15+ pounds, only to gain them back (and maybe more) shortly there after. I lost 30 pounds a couple years back, was close to my goal, then horse show season started and I fell off track and gained it all back. Then I decided to have pop in my house for 3 months (which I never do) and gained an additional 10+ pounds. I just pray that if I keep trying, eventually it will stick.
    And yes, I try to make it a 'lifestyle change' I haven't cut out any foods that I love, eating at a reasonable calorie level, eating meals at times of day that work for me (I don't do the 3 meals 3 snacks eating every 2 hours thing), leaving myself extra cals on the weekend to go out and eat with friends and family with little worry.
  • Lebatsirk
    Lebatsirk Posts: 27 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm not sure I'm the right person to comment on this as I'm currently 3 stone down of a total 6 stone I need to lose and am in a very similar position to you I think.

I previously lost 5 stone after having my children, but because a lot of that was down to increased exercise combined with breastfeeding for 4½ years, I never made the lifestyle changes and subsequently regained all the weight I'd lost (and then some of course).

This time round, it's taken a year to lose 3 stone so far, and I'm going to lose the remainder this year, but the main thing I've taken on board is that consistency is key... "slow and steady wins the race"! Your weight is probably going to fluctuate throughout the rest of your life, and I believe that you can't go through life denying yourself all the time because that won't be sustainable in the long term. There will be times you ease up a little and times you want to enjoy yourself (holidays etc) but I think that knowing you can do that occasionally whilst also being aware that your journey is a lifetime one will keep you on the right trend of being in control of your weight in the long term.

My husband has just reached his goal weight (4 stone lost) and I've found myself thinking how I've still got so much more to lose and feeling disheartened, but then I remind myself that if I had given in before, I wouldn't be a year on and 3 stone lighter - I'd be exactly where I was before.

Sorry if I've not worded this well, but I basically mean that I'm in a similar position and what's keeping me going is knowing that I can do this slow and steady and keep it up because I'm much more "aware" this time round. Every month you get through that you've lost or stayed the same - remind yourself that you've achieved something great by not gaining. Keep reminding yourself how well you're doing just by being aware of your food and exercise and not mindlessly letting yourself go back on autopilot again.

I hope that someone who has maintained long term can offer some better advice, but in the meantime I hope this helps xx
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    It didn't happen by life just "creeping up" on you.

It happened by you willfully overeating.

Take some responsibility for your actions, and I promise you it won't just happen again.

Continue to ignore your responsibility for your actions and it wiIl happen every time.

Every. Time.

I promise.

No.

You don't.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    The trick is to "catch it" before it gets out of hand by weighing yourself every day and adjusting your intake accordingly.

I have not reached my goal yet, but I periodically maintain during winter every year before resuming weight loss. I set a weight limit for myself that I should not go above and if I'm above even by 0.1 pound I immediately either decrease my intake or quick fix it with one fast day.

Another trick is to eat the same things most of the time. Pre-calculate 20 or so dishes for each meal + snacks and pick from the list. If at some point feel like eating something different, run back to the calorie tool on MFP to make sure you don't overeat it.

Weight gain CAN happen even if you are sticking to eating healthy. It CAN creep up on you if you decrease your activity level without noticing. For example you know you are getting your exercise successfully, but you don't notice if you fidget, walk around and move less during your daily activities. That's why you need to weigh yourself daily.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    For me, it's simply remaining vigilant about it every day. To some, this might sound terrible. I still plan most of my meals and log all my calories. I plan on doing it forever if I need to. Taking a few minutes to log and or weigh out my food, is better than being obese any day. I am very aware that most people gain weight back, and do not want to be part of that stastistic. I have been maintaining for almost a year.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Don't ever plan to stop logging

In it for life

Currently logging at maintenance, and yes some days it still feels like a diet..lifestyle/ diet all terminology ..I just don't have an end date...if I want to stick this weight I have to keep logging

That's it

That's my not so secret secret
  • francescainwonderland
    Options
    It didn't happen by life just "creeping up" on you.

It happened by you willfully overeating.

Take some responsibility for your actions, and I promise you it won't just happen again.

Continue to ignore your responsibility for your actions and it wiIl happen every time.

Every. Time.

I promise.

No.

You don't.

I see what you're saying, although I disagree that I ignore responsibility for my actions. I understand that I made the choice to let myself gain the weight back. What I was asking is more about how people who have maintained have been managing, and to help themselves stay on track. I appreciate your blunt straightforwardness, I do, but in this case you don't know me, and I think you misunderstood some things I said.