HELP!! don't know where to start!

im wondering if any guys have any advice for me,
I want to tone up and loose a bit of weight, I have joined the gym and have been going but I don't know where to start or even what machines, exercises are best for me.
Going to the gym I will usually go on
-rowing machine
-treadmill
-cross trainer
but what else can I do? am I doing things right!
would really appreciate anyone's comments in having the time to help,
thanks
Sacha

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Eat in a deficit
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Eat in a deficit

BAM!
  • Thanks guys :) going to count all calories, thinking of using slim fast aswell so that lowers calories for normal intake
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    To lose weight eat at a deficit, but if you are wanting to tone you need to look at doing body weight exercises (squats, lunges, and push-ups to name a few) or strength training such as the stronglifts 5x5 program or using kettlebells. I am a fan of kettlebells because I can do them at home with my music blaring. The Live Fit Revolution website has a good series of kettlebell workouts, and possibly others, if you register for a free account.

Hope this helps. You can add me as a friend if you would like.
  • Thankyou :) all this is really helpful I didn't really know where to start but you guys are giving me a base to start on:D I will add you as a friend:)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Thanks guys :) going to count all calories, thinking of using slim fast aswell so that lowers calories for normal intake

The problem with slimfast is that it doesn't help you learn moderation or how to eat well.
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Definitely agree with all of the above. I also suggest getting a heart rate monitor from Amazon. They can be a little pricey but they're definitely worth it! It will estimate your calorie burn more accurately than MFP because it measures your heart rate rather than just replying on your height, weight, and gender to calculate it.

Also, keep in mind that you'll want to take it slow to make it easy on you! The first few weeks, you may lose quite a bit of water weight, but you shouldn't expect to lose a whole hell of a lot if you don't have a lot to lose to begin with. And always try to find something you love doing instead of doing something that sucks but burns a lot of calories!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Thanks guys :) going to count all calories, thinking of using slim fast aswell so that lowers calories for normal intake

Just eat real food at a deficit.
  • jomiguelo
    jomiguelo Posts: 5 Member
    Good *kitten* comments/tips. Loving the mfp community. :) oh, one tip from me. Follow guys/girls on instagram who's into proper diet, workout, etc. It would serve as an inspiration and you'll learn stuff too. Checkout the hashtags IIFYM, powerlifting, etc. You can follow paulnotsmall, leangainsmeals, micheal kory for food ideas. Timtamfit (chick) for workout ideas. Goodluck! :wink: