help how to lose weight

Options

Replies

• ythamoon
    Options
    Every persons body is different. It's the changes you will need to make for yourself that will help you lose weight. I have stopped drinking soda like ten years ago so getting rid of soda altogether should be number one. It's not just bad for your weight but it's incredibly unhealthy.

Start with a 1500 calorie a day. Start looking at foods your eating and what's in them. If something has even half your daily sodium don't eat it. Find something different. Trust me there is always a alternative. I found a food scale helped with how many ounces I was eating for food too. Anything high in sugar I'll just pass up for something else. Don't get me wrong I will still sneak a small square bar of dark chocolate every other day. But dark chocolate is good for you. Just a little at a time not a lot.

It's not cutting out but rather changing what you should have instead. Instead of white bread choose multi grain bread. Instead of having white rice choose brown rice. Hey I'm still figuring things out like which butter is okay to have than the other when I do need butter or which syrup is better to have than the all sugar kind. It's a working progress and it takes time.

This isn't coming from someone who is a skinny me either. I've lost 50 pounds two years ago just excerising. And been in limbo until I started this. I haven't gone to the gym yet. All I have been doing is calorie counting and doing my daily schedule of working two jobs. For the past thirty days I've lost a little over ten pounds. I still don't see a difference or believe it honestly but I'm going to keep going. It's actually fun after a while to get everything under 1500 and eventually I'll try 1200 calorie limit because according to online that's where woman should follow is 1200. Slow and steady though takes time
    Should I consume 1200 calories? And if I have less?
  • ythamoon
    Options
    I would recommend eating less. Do not worry about choices for now, just make sure your calories are less than your daily required as suggested by MFP (or other online calculators).
    If you want to cut things out like sugar, carbs...I wouldn't even worry about that until you are well on your way. Being restrictive will make it more difficult.
    After you are well on your way, if you want to start looking at your macros, and fine tune your eating habits, that would be the time. Stay away from overkill.

Exercise is great too, but again..don't go crazy with it because you want to do whatever is sustainable.

Lift weight too, just because it works!

Good luck

Thanks a lot that was really nice!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    ythamoon wrote: »
    Every persons body is different. It's the changes you will need to make for yourself that will help you lose weight. I have stopped drinking soda like ten years ago so getting rid of soda altogether should be number one. It's not just bad for your weight but it's incredibly unhealthy.

Start with a 1500 calorie a day. Start looking at foods your eating and what's in them. If something has even half your daily sodium don't eat it. Find something different. Trust me there is always a alternative. I found a food scale helped with how many ounces I was eating for food too. Anything high in sugar I'll just pass up for something else. Don't get me wrong I will still sneak a small square bar of dark chocolate every other day. But dark chocolate is good for you. Just a little at a time not a lot.

It's not cutting out but rather changing what you should have instead. Instead of white bread choose multi grain bread. Instead of having white rice choose brown rice. Hey I'm still figuring things out like which butter is okay to have than the other when I do need butter or which syrup is better to have than the all sugar kind. It's a working progress and it takes time.

This isn't coming from someone who is a skinny me either. I've lost 50 pounds two years ago just excerising. And been in limbo until I started this. I haven't gone to the gym yet. All I have been doing is calorie counting and doing my daily schedule of working two jobs. For the past thirty days I've lost a little over ten pounds. I still don't see a difference or believe it honestly but I'm going to keep going. It's actually fun after a while to get everything under 1500 and eventually I'll try 1200 calorie limit because according to online that's where woman should follow is 1200. Slow and steady though takes time

You should consume the number of calories needed for your stats and activity level. Based on my stats and activity, I consumed about 1800 calories a day on average to lose weight. Your numbers are going to vary based on your stats - the idea is to eat as much as possible and still lose weight to preserve lean body mass, keep your energy levels up, and get proper nutrition.
  • ythamoon
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »

You should consume the number of calories needed for your stats and activity level. Based on my stats and activity, I consumed about 1800 calories a day on average to lose weight. Your numbers are going to vary based on your stats - the idea is to eat as much as possible and still lose weight to preserve lean body mass, keep your energy levels up, and get proper nutrition.

For example today I consumed 578 calories and I run/walked 5miles and say that I burned 548. Im in the right way? Im still confused
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    kmblank wrote: »
    It's all about sensible eating. When you go shopping focus on healthy proteins (poultry, lean beef, fish, lean pork) good complex carbs (potatoes, sweet potatoes, rice, quinoa, etc) fruits and veggies. You will hear from others that if it's within your calorie deficit you can eat it, junk food and all, but to me that doesn't make sense. The goal is not to just drop pounds, the goal is to also create a healthy body and create healthy habits that are sustainable. Plus as others have said you have to move!

Deprivation is not sensible, nor is it sustainable for most, if not all.

OP, can you drop 'junk' from your dietary intake for the rest of your life, or for however long you are eating 'healthy'?

How about you use a bit of common sense to fit in a reasonable amount of the things you like in to a sensible dietary intake?
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

For example today I consumed 578 calories and I run/walked 5miles and say that I burned 548. Im in the right way? Im still confused

No, you are not supposed to burn off all the calories you eat. Your MFP calorie goal already includes a calorie deficit to lose weight each week. You are supposed to eat your calorie goal and eat back a portion of your exercise calories to keep you fueled for your workouts.
  • ythamoon
    Options

No, you are not supposed to burn off all the calories you eat. Your MFP calorie goal already includes a calorie deficit to lose weight each week. You are supposed to eat your calorie goal and eat back a portion of your exercise calories to
    keep you fueled for your workouts.
    oh Thanks i just want to do the best to lose weight and im still confused about what to do :(

• Ashley_Ann24
    Ashley_Ann24 Posts: 26 Member
    Options

Start with 1500 then go from there
  • Ashley_Ann24
    Options

No, you are not supposed to burn off all the calories you eat. Your MFP calorie goal already includes a calorie deficit to lose weight each week. You are supposed to eat your calorie goal and eat back a portion of your exercise calories to
    keep you fueled for your workouts.
    oh Thanks i just want to do the best to lose weight and im still confused about what to do :(

I would just suggest to go to the store and plan meals. Grab foods that are good for you and plan to eat them throughout the week. Do what I did first use this app. Eat whatever you want and see how much your consuming and what your putting in your body nutrition wise. Then go from there. Start limiting yourself the amount of food if your like me where I would just have too much of one thing. Spread it out and try for 1500 a day. Now I haven't gone to the gym recently and I have been losing the weight. Going to the gym will bring it down faster. Just remember small snacks under 150 calories between meals is best.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

That is NOT THE RIGHT WAY! MFP calculates a daily caloric goal that includes your deficit. It does not include exercise in that goal and expects you to eat exercise calories back. The problem lies in that accurate logging can be problematic ... underestimating what one eats and overestimating what one burns from exercise.

Let's go back to the beginning.
    What is your height?
    Current weight?
    Goal weight?
    Amount you set MFP to lose per week?
  • kmblank
    kmblank Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    It's all about sensible eating. When you go shopping focus on healthy proteins (poultry, lean beef, fish, lean pork) good complex carbs (potatoes, sweet potatoes, rice, quinoa, etc) fruits and veggies. You will hear from others that if it's within your calorie deficit you can eat it, junk food and all, but to me that doesn't make sense. The goal is not to just drop pounds, the goal is to also create a healthy body and create healthy habits that are sustainable. Plus as others have said you have to move!

OP, can you drop 'junk' from your dietary intake for the rest of your life, or for however long you are eating 'healthy'?

How about you use a bit of common sense to fit in a reasonable amount of the things you like in to a sensible dietary intake?

I never said to OP that she has to drop all "junk food" COMPLETELY from her diet for the rest of her life! She asked for help on how to lose weight and I gave my suggestions, as far as shopping for food.

Over and over again I see posts from people that say that as long as it's within your calories you can eat it, fast food, fried food, sweets, etc. I will say it again, to me that doesn't make sense - yes you can have these things here and there but to have a diet that continues to consist of the foods that probably made you overweight/obese in the first place does not make sense to me. And I don't need to be told to use my common sense...because I know what has worked for me - which is what I relayed to OP!
  • brianpperkins
    Options

I never said to OP that she has to drop all "junk food" COMPLETELY from her diet for the rest of her life! She asked for help on how to lose weight and I gave my suggestions, as far as shopping for food.

Over and over again I see posts from people that say that as long as it's within your calories you can eat it, fast food, fried food, sweets, etc. I will say it again, to me that doesn't make sense - yes you can have these things here and there but to have a diet that continues to consist of the foods that probably made you overweight/obese in the first place does not make sense to me. And I don't need to be told to use my common sense...because I know what has worked for me - which is what I relayed to OP!

What part of a deficit containing any foods you like doesn't make sense to you?

Foods don't make people fat. Overconsumption of calories in relation to calories used makes people fat. It is a meaningful difference.
  • Ashley_Ann24
    edited February 2015
    Options
  • brianpperkins
    edited February 2015
    Options
    "for there is nothing either good or
    bad, but thinking makes it so. "

Shakespeare applies to food in this case.

A Big Mac has 590 calories, 47g of carbs, 24g of protein, 34g of fat ... all three macronutrients.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

I have to agree with you. Sorry you can eat two Big Macs a day and still be under your calorie goal. But your health will begin to deterate because your not eating the right foods. Your body doesn't need most junk foods. You don't have to get rid of all junk food but their are foods you certainly can do with out. I've personally made that change no soda no fast food places. It's not that hard.

Unrelated but I've only been on the forums today but what is it with everyone getting their panties in a bunch when you don't agree. Like holy heck calm down. People are here to give suggestions.

What exactly are the "right foods?" Having two big macs every now and then are not going to destroy someones health...having them every day for every meal.....then yea maybe
  • Ashley_Ann24
    Options
    Have a good night. It's a difference of opinion. Good luck.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

I have to agree with you. Sorry you can eat two Big Macs a day and still be under your calorie goal. But your health will begin to deterate because your not eating the right foods. Your body doesn't need most junk foods. You don't have to get rid of all junk food but their are foods you certainly can do with out. I've personally made that change no soda no fast food places. It's not that hard.

Unrelated but I've only been on the forums today but what is it with everyone getting their panties in a bunch when you don't agree. Like holy heck calm down. People are here to give suggestions.

Some folks love to argue and debate. ..
  • Ashley_Ann24
    Options

I agree. I'll go else where for questions about nutrition and food
  • brianpperkins
    edited February 2015
    Options

Everything you put here was a proclamation, not a question. You were asked what are the "right foods" ... you said you were leaving rather than answer and coupled that with deleting the content of your post.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Ashley there is no need to leave. This forum is full of very experienced and knowledgeable people. I've learnt so much in the short time I've been here.
    Take the good with the bad :smile: