Lightheaded after workout

Options
I have been having a problem lately where I get really lightheaded and dizzy after exercising. I was wondering if anyone had any tips to prevent this.

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough?
    What type of workouts?
    Are you doing a cool down?
  • theshaleco
    theshaleco Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough?
    What type of workouts?

I am mainly doing cardio workouts on the treadmill, bike or elliptical, I think I am eating enough, I get about 1300 calories a day and no I don't do a cool down... does that help?
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    theshaleco wrote: »
    Are you eating enough?
    What type of workouts?

I am mainly doing cardio workouts on the treadmill, bike or elliptical, I think I am eating enough, I get about 1300 calories a day and no I don't do a cool down... does that help?

Let me guess, not eating back your exercise calories?

Likely not eating enough, and likely the main reason you get lightheaded afterwards. What is your weekly weight loss goal set at?
  • theshaleco
    theshaleco Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    theshaleco wrote: »
    Are you eating enough?
    What type of workouts?

Let me guess, not eating back your exercise calories?

Likely not eating enough, and likely the main reason you get lightheaded afterwards. What is your weekly weight loss goal set at?

It's set at 2lbs a week. Should it be less than that? I'm pretty new to this so I am still trying to figure everything out.
  • JenniferInCt
    JenniferInCt Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I find that a cool down helps. To go from walking/running fast especially on an incline to just stopping is no good. The blood will rush to your feet after you stop moving i believe. At least try to slow down at the end and drink more water. I really noticed a difference once i started cooling down the last 4-5minutes. And eat a while before you workout.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    What about water, are you drinking enough? How is your iron intake??

• bababs89
    bababs89 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Maybe try a light snack a little bit before your workout...and make sure you are drinking enough water!
  • smondloch
    smondloch Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing :/
  • smondloch
    smondloch Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    babsabs89 wrote: »
    Maybe try a light snack a little bit before your workout...and make sure you are drinking enough water!

What type of snack? Carb or protein?
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    2lbs per week loss? How far are you from goal weight? Are you sure you entered info into MFP correctly?

Most health professionals suggest women not eat below 1200. If your eating 1300 and then exercising, you need to be eating some of those back. Eat a light snack (100-200 calories carbs or protein) like 20min before you exercise. I find bananas easy to digest and good fuel for a workout. Also make sure you are staying hydrated!

If things persist double check with a medical professional. I assume you are not on medications, etc. If so talk to your doctor.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    If the exercise is new, or you're upping the challenge significantly, feeling a little "off" when you finish can happen. Means you pushed really hard. It should go away as you get used to it. (Not advocating that you ignore your body's signals, but it might help you understand what it's telling you, if you can connect it to really heavy effort it isn't used to.)

Seconding babsabs89: If you're exercising when you're hungry, or going to get hungry, it can happen. Like on the lead-up to a meal (late afternoon, before breakfast, etc). Eating a snack before can help with that.

About water: Try to get hydrated early and stay that way throughout the day. If you just pop into a workout and get sweaty, you can feel sick if you aren't hydrated. And if you start guzzling then, that can sit really poorly in your stomach.

Are you prone to motion sickness? Reading or watching tv while also in motion might be triggering it, if you are.

And yeah, 1300 + cardio might be too low. I don't know your stats though.