Savory then sweet ((my bad habit))

Options
Everytime I eat a meal, my body craves something sweet to finish it off. If I don't eat something sweet, I usually end up feeling hungry & binge eat. However if I choose to give into my cravings, then one sweet thing leads to the next.... How can I break this cycle? Does this happen to anyone else?

Replies

• soccerkon26
    soccerkon26 Posts: 596 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I am THE SAME WAY. I usually eat chocolate after every lunch and dinner. It used to be big cookies or massive ice cream sundaes.

Now I will eat a fun-size Hershey bar (80 cals). Or these chocolate caramel pieces that Atkins makes (50 cals). Or some sugar free jello-o pudding (I think 60cals). It's enough to satisfy my sweet tooth so it works well :)
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    What is your weight loss weekly goal and daily caloric goal? Do you restrict these foods in general? I would binge when I classified food as good and bad and put restrictions on what I could eat. I now eat "junk" in much smaller volume than I used to despite eating it more frequently.
  • dragthewaters
    dragthewaters Posts: 62 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    What about having a cup of tea with one packet of sugar (20 cals/5g sugar) instead of a dessert? The bonus is you can drink it slowly which maybe will help taper off the cravings.
  • jontucc
    jontucc Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    A small amount of fruit usually does the trick for me eg lychees, cherries, date.
  • Pootler74
    Pootler74 Posts: 223 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm the same. Some fixes that work:
    • A small serving of frozen yoghurt, or low calorie ice cream
    • Defrosted frozen berries, mixed with (low fat or fat free) greek yoghurt and sweetener
    • One piece of good dark chocolate
    • Low calorie hot chocolate
    • Mini Milks (30 calorie ice cream lollies)
    • Fruit tea with sweetener
    • 100 calorie puddings - plenty of those available in the UK. The Alpro ones are more filling.
    • Single serve skinny brownie mug cakes. There are recipes online that work out at about 100 calories.
    • Sugar free jelly made up with greek yoghurt. Tastes like a pudding. Mine is only 30 or so calories a serving. Google Slimming World Blancmange for recipes.
  • amandarunning
    amandarunning Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Pootler74 wrote: »
    I'm the same. Some fixes that work:
    • A small serving of frozen yoghurt, or low calorie ice cream
    • Defrosted frozen berries, mixed with (low fat or fat free) greek yoghurt and sweetener
    • One piece of good dark chocolate
    • Low calorie hot chocolate
    • Mini Milks (30 calorie ice cream lollies)
    • Fruit tea with sweetener
    • 100 calorie puddings - plenty of those available in the UK. The Alpro ones are more filling.
    • Single serve skinny brownie mug cakes. There are recipes online that work out at about 100 calories.
    • Sugar free jelly made up with greek yoghurt. Tastes like a pudding. Mine is only 30 or so calories a serving. Google Slimming World Blancmange for recipes.

Great ideas above and I'm the same and use many of these. Going to check out the last one though as sounds great :-)

I enjoy sweet more than savoury and have just accepted that! Oh - another idea is to find a delicious chocolate protein bar and cut into bite sized pieces and put in the fridge or freezer.

• zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I enjoy something sweet after meals and I just go with it. My usual picks:

2 squares of 70% dark chocolate (this fixes all my chocolate cravings)
    Alpro Soy Desserts (usually the dark chocolate chocolate)
    Ready made custard pots
    Fruit (grapes, blueberries, apples, bananas)
    Dried fruit and berries
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I like herbal tea (current favorite: 365 rooibos orange vanilla creme from Whole Foods and a huge box is 5 bucks) or a little vanilla extract in my coffee. It's sweet when you inhale it and when you breathe out through your nose after a sip.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I was the same unti I discovered that if I drank a glass or 2 of water after my savory meal-the craving would go away!!!
    Now I can eat just a little bit of a sweet treat if I really want it.
    The water really helps!
    Also I might have an orange or Apple and that also helps.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. Tea typically just makes it worse. I've been going overboard lately, but typically a square of dark chocolate or a couple chocolate covered nuts does the trick. I'm going to try to content myself with a 100 calories Yoplait Whip Greek for a while though (they are awesome).
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I'm the same.

I usually try and have a cup of coffee after dinner - because I drink it with milk and sweeteners it usually satisfies the craving enough for me to decide if I actually want/have room for something else, or if it's just a habit to keep eating after dinner has finished. Usually that coffee will either kill the craving totally, or let me put it off for 2-3 hours and then I'll have a small chocolate bar, a yogurt, fruit, an ice lolly, or cocoa almonds, rather than cramming a big slab of cake or half a pint of ice cream into my mouth just because I was sad dinner was over so soon :'(
  • Linvala
    Linvala Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I am the same. Breakfast I'm usually fine but lunch and dinner I always want something sweet. I usually keep mini chocolates and even the sugar free hard candies. At night I usually have some sugar free fudgesicles, yogurt, frozen fruit or hot chocolate/tea. I Like things like chocolate, yogurt and fruit frozen because it takes a bit to eat so it helps pass and satisfy the cravings.
  • thicknfit86
    Options
    Thank you all for your ideas!! I AM SOOOO RELIEVED that I'm not the only one going thru this!!! Great tips & advice that I will DEFINATELY try out!!! Thanks again & God bless
  • bonnbunx36
    Options
    v_v same
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I typically reserve 300 or less calories for some "junk" everyday. I've been doing pretty well so far, though I typically eat it midday and not after dinner.
  • nickibowen
    nickibowen Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Everytime I eat a meal, my body craves something sweet to finish it off. If I don't eat something sweet, I usually end up feeling hungry & binge eat. However if I choose to give into my cravings, then one sweet thing leads to the next.... How can I break this cycle? Does this happen to anyone else?

I know this may sound crazy or maybe it won't work for you, but I chew a children's flinstone vitamin. Lol. It's crazy I know, but it's kinda fruity sweet and then I don't like the way anything else tastes after eating one. Good luck. I hope this trick works for you.
  • delayneduffy
    delayneduffy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am the same way! I like fiber one brownies - 90 calories. Good luck!
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Lots of great ideas here! Another one that may work is dark mint chocolate, like a Thin Mint or After Eight. The richness of the chocolate plus the mint usually gives me like an "I'm done now" feel.

I also, weirdly, find an apple will get a lot of my sugar cravings. And I discovered I love mango -- especially those slimmer yellowy ones? Anyway, maybe not ANY fruit will stand in for a sugar craving for you, but a specific fruit might.

I also like the hot cocoa suggestion, and it's one I use. (Cocoa powder + 1/4 of the mug of boiled water, add 1 teaspoon agave or sweetener of choice -- one of those mini candy canes or hard candies will give you peppermint & sweetening -- fill up the rest of the mug with foamed milk. If you use cold milk, then use more like 1/2 to 3/4 of the mug of boiled water.)
  • Naley2322
    Naley2322 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    same here! But its ALWAYS after lunch which is why I always have an apple after!
  • thicknfit86
    Options
    thanks everyone!!!!!! I especially love the mint/chocolate idea... that's my fav :)