Clothes fitting better., but weight remains the same

Options
I do weight training theee days per week and cardio two or three times per week. My clothes are fitting better and I am getting into smaller clothes but my weight is not dropping. What gives?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Yeah for better fitting clothes. Ignore the scale.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Getting smaller is what you want, right? the scale will catch up
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Does it really matter all that much if your clothing fits better? Would is somehow be better if you were 10lbs lighter but everything fit the same?
  • 1bellringer1
    1bellringer1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I've had the same deal so it's a good thing I think. I use my clothes as a gauge more than the scale because being able to sit comfortably in my jeans without unbuttoning them doesn't lie, it tells me I'm definitely making progress even if my scale disagrees. I am also doing weights 3-4 times a week.
  • cnkihm
    cnkihm Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You're building muscle, so it's not surprising that there's not really much weight loss. But yay for your clothes fitting better! That's always an awesome feeling :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    cnkihm wrote: »
    You're building muscle, so it's not surprising that there's not really much weight loss. But yay for your clothes fitting better! That's always an awesome feeling :)

It doesn't work that way. One doesn't just "build muscle". It's an extremely difficult process. Yes, he probably has some newbie gains, but in a deficit, its rare.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I dropped a full size while my scale didn't change at all. Didn't upset me one bit. I bought smaller jeans and laughed at my scale.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Scales measure gravity between your body and the earth. So not inspirational! Focus on the fit of your clothes.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    If it's temporary, it's probably water weight.

But you also haven't mentioned whether you're eating at a deficit. If you're not -- if you eat at maintenance or a surplus -- you shouldn't expect to lose fat.
  • saraphim41
    saraphim41 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I lose fat (weight). Sometimes I lose inches. (amazing!) Sometimes both. As long as I'm losing something--

I've been a baaaaad girl!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Stick with it--I tend to get smaller and feel thinner for a couple of weeks before the scale actually moves. Lots of people have this issue.
  • hayeskg
    hayeskg Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Glad to read these comments because I have been going through the same thing. I have not missed a night of walking every night since January 1st, 2015. I walk no less than 30 minutes 2 miles and usually a min. of 300 calories. It would sure be nice to see the scales drop down more than 8 lbs.