Emotional Eater Looking for Support!

Options
I'm in my early 30s and looking for support to help me lose 85 lbs. I've been off and on this website and I really want to stick with it! I was just diagnosed with high cholesterol and the doc wants to pop me a pill. I want to see how much I can change though my eating and fitness. Add me if you can use a friend to keep going, please!

Replies

• TheSurge0n
    TheSurge0n Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    So doc wants to put you on statins
  • lisaweise82
    Options
    Yep. I was just so upset. I am very unhappy with my weight and it's time to stop letting food control my life. So..... Gotta start somewhere, right? Thanks for adding me!! I'm hoping to keep up with MFP with all the extra support.
  • sassy_rivera
    sassy_rivera Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey Lisa! I'm on the road to losing at lease 51 lbs :) I'm pretty active on here! I'll add you!
  • kbrt0516
    kbrt0516 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I feel ya there, girl. Junk food and soda owned me. I finally broke free on Dec 9th 2014 and I don't want to look back.
  • tnwlkr43
    tnwlkr43 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    jmho, i would also work on why you are an emotional eater. If you don't conquer that issue also loosing the weight will normally be temporary. I am an emotional eater and it has been hard, and I work on it daily. Because I just recently quit smoking a year ago, I still have the mental tools to work through with the eating fresh in my head. If I do turn to food to comfort my emotions now I go healthy..
    Here is a good book to pick up if you can-- The Emotional Eater's Book of Inspiration: 90 Truths You Need to Know to Overcome Your Food Addiction. I found my copy on Thrifty books but Amazon has it.

Good luck
  • Emma8882015
    Emma8882015 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hey, I think it's great that you're trying to fix your medical issues with diet before pills. Doctors these days are happy to prescribe for every ailment, when many issues can be fixed with food alone. If you haven't already, you've gotta check out the awesome documentary Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead on Netflix. It's my favorite motivational food/health documentary.
  • berrychaney
    berrychaney Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello every one new trying the new Fitbit HR to get some weight off and eat better
  • Em882015 wrote: »
    Hey, I think it's great that you're trying to fix your medical issues with diet before pills. Doctors these days are happy to prescribe for every ailment, when many issues can be fixed with food alone. If you haven't already, you've gotta check out the awesome documentary Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead on Netflix. It's my favorite motivational food/health documentary.

I don't know if you know but there's also a sequel. Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead 2.
  • MelanieMamaof5
    MelanieMamaof5 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    One thing that really helps me is to "own it". When I find myself running to food, if I just stop and identify what is really going on, it helps. Say it out loud. Example: "Okay. I'm not hungry, I'm ............". Owning it is the first step to overcoming it. That doesn't mean to say that you can't ever eat anything when you are "emotional"......because sometimes you just want to, but I find that if I confess to what is really going on, most of the time I can find a better solution.
  • lisaweise82
    Options
    tnwlkr43 wrote: »
    jmho, i would also work on why you are an emotional eater. If you don't conquer that issue also loosing the weight will normally be temporary. I am an emotional eater and it has been hard, and I work on it daily. Because I just recently quit smoking a year ago, I still have the mental tools to work through with the eating fresh in my head. If I do turn to food to comfort my emotions now I go healthy..
    Here is a good book to pick up if you can-- The Emotional Eater's Book of Inspiration: 90 Truths You Need to Know to Overcome Your Food Addiction. I found my copy on Thrifty books but Amazon has it.

Good luck

I'm going to get this. I was looking at some books to read, to do just that. Not really sure why besides being stressed and having no time. But crazy is doing that me and expecting something different. Got change the lifestyle.
  • lisaweise82
    Options
    One thing that really helps me is to "own it". When I find myself running to food, if I just stop and identify what is really going on, it helps. Say it out loud. Example: "Okay. I'm not hungry, I'm ............". Owning it is the first step to overcoming it. That doesn't mean to say that you can't ever eat anything when you are "emotional"......because sometimes you just want to, but I find that if I confess to what is really going on, most of the time I can find a better solution.

I absolutely LOVE THIS!