Abdominal pain during weight loss?

Options
I've been on MFP for the past 3 weeks and I'm down about 8 pounds from my initial weight. I've been eating a lot healthier and I've been eating no more than 1100 to 1200 calories a day. I also workout about 4 days out of the week. Lately I've noticed slight sharp pains in my lower abdominal area on the left or right side and it last no longer then 2 seconds and usually happens once or twice a day after or before I eat....I've noticed a slight change in my abdominal area...Its not as bloated as it was before..I stopped drinking soda...but I was just wondering if you guys have experienced this during your weight loss journey?

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a question that would be better directed at your doctor.
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

^^This^^

Any medical issue such as abdominal pain is best kept to being answered by your GP.
    We can only offer lifestyle advice based on our own experiences but anything that is related to your health(pain, etc) is something that should always be directed to your doctor.

All the best!

Adam, MFP Community Greeter
  • SomeGirlSomewhere
    SomeGirlSomewhere Posts: 937 Member
    Options

I second checking with your doctor, but BRIEF abdominal pain is usually GAS!
  • ndulgetoday
    ndulgetoday Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm going to schedule an appointment but I think that's what It is as well. I usually have to let it pass when I experience the pain..and I've had a similar issue before just in a different area.
  • SarahKhristan
    SarahKhristan Posts: 134 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Definitely see a Dr. Two years ago, when I started MFP, I had horrible abdominal pains. They were long, sharp pains that lasted hours. After seeing a Dr and getting an ultrasound, we discovered I had gallstones. I had my gallbladder removed shortly thereafter. (I feel like a million bucks now!)

Ultimately, pain is your body's way of letting you know something isn't exactly right. The only way to get a clean bill of health is to see your doctor.
  • SomeGirlSomewhere
    SomeGirlSomewhere Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Definitely see a Dr. Two years ago, when I started MFP, I had horrible abdominal pains. They were long, sharp pains that lasted hours. After seeing a Dr and getting an ultrasound, we discovered I had gallstones. I had my gallbladder removed shortly thereafter. (I feel like a million bucks now!)

Ultimately, pain is your body's way of letting you know something isn't exactly right. The only way to get a clean bill of health is to see your doctor.

^^THIS^^ is a GREAT point too since some people DO develop gallbladder issues when they suddenly reduce their calorie/fat intake!

• Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Hi there.

My advice would be to consult with your Dr first and foremost to rule out any medical issues. Hopefully you will get the all clear.

With that in mind, if the issues continues, my only idea is tha the problem could rest with a factors that have come from either your newish exercise regime....maybe you have tweaked/strained something, or maybe it is a result of your digestion adjusting to your new style of food intake... the flora of bowel can need to get 'used' to your new lifestyle....maybe gas build-up, even though you feel less bloated.

Good luck with getting this resolved, being in pain sucks.

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP for the past 3 weeks and I'm down about 8 pounds from my initial weight. I've been eating a lot healthier and I've been eating no more than 1100 to 1200 calories a day. I also workout about 4 days out of the week. Lately I've noticed slight sharp pains in my lower abdominal area on the left or right side and it last no longer then 2 seconds and usually happens once or twice a day after or before I eat....I've noticed a slight change in my abdominal area...Its not as bloated as it was before..I stopped drinking soda...but I was just wondering if you guys have experienced this during your weight loss journey?

Why so little food with working out?