Sorry folks but constipation question

Options

Replies

• MirandaDeCrane
    MirandaDeCrane Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Definitely up your water! I have been drinking 90-100oz a day and have seen a MAJOR improvement. TMI-I could sometimes only go once or twice a week! Not good :/
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Mom's advice: Eat an apple every day.

There was a thread yesterday about coconut oil where someone said putting it in their morning coffee kept things moving.

Personal observation (not a recommendation): A crash and burn, way over daily calories, high fat, high alcohol steak dinner fixed me up this weekend.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Magnesium citrate.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    ....And if added fibre and fat don't do the trick... Magnesium citrate will ;)
    These. And also time. Your body adjusts to the higher fiber levels.

If not, an ergonomic toilet stool might be something to consider. I'm a fan. :|
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Yes, water water water! Don't forget, our body is like 2/3 water, so it's essential for everything our body needs: Hydration, good vital signs, good chemistry in our blood, and BM.

Make sure you're getting plenty of fiber, and eating decent "healthy" fats, to lube things up lol. A stool softener will help as stated above. If you use a laxative, only do it for a short time, couple days max. Too many people become dependent on them and can never poop without it!

When I increased my protein intake, I had he same problem, I went to my diary and evaluated my intake, and realized I was NOT getting enough fiber! So I upped that, and made sure to drink that water.

Good luck, let us know how everything comes out in the end!! :smiley: lol
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Magnesium in the form of vitamins. Miralax. Prune juice. White grape juice.
  • MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Stay very hydrated and Smooth Move tea works very well! All natural and very gentle
  • LiveLoveRunFar
    LiveLoveRunFar Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Take Magnesium, it will help
  • sherriabegglen
    sherriabegglen Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I posted or told someone about my constipation and I have an appointment with my doctor because I drink all the time (water), then tried mag citrate and thought I was going to die. I cramped so bad, and broke out in sweat. I am a nurse and had eaten plenty of veg., and no trouble with fats. I took women's ducolax 3 tabs a day until box was gone, Ex-Lax 2 tabs 2 times a day. After all this I am finally starting, but I know there is still a problem. So of to the doc I go. Wish me luck.
  • goingforahundred
    goingforahundred Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I drink at least 12 cups of water each day, exercise at least one hour and am eating healthier that I ever have, and I suffered from IT for a couple of weeks before I decided to get some fiber capsules. Much better now, thank goodness!
  • JanessaDC
    JanessaDC Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Personal observation (not a recommendation): A crash and burn, way over daily calories, high fat, high alcohol steak dinner fixed me up this weekend.

lol. This usually does the trick.

Also, though, this problem is my life's problem. Some people just don't poo a lot, I think? I hope?
  • craft4fun
    craft4fun Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Almonds help me go.
  • ktorres625
    Options
    In your post you said you eat lots of salad and vegetables and no sweets... are you eating fruit? If you are concerned with the natural sugar in them, berries are the way to go. Also if you have a protein with your fruit it will balance the sugar and you shouldn't have the highs and lows. Fruit has fiber but you also need lots of water. Also, Quest protein bars help because they have lots of fiber. They are gluten free and 1 gram of sugar. The Vitamin Shop and GNC have them. Good luck.
  • emc2fit
    emc2fit Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else suffer from constipation whilst trying to shed the weight. I am currently on 1200 calls per day and walk for at least 2.5 to 3 miles per day. Eat lots of salad and veg, not eating sweet stuff and also off the booze. Anyone got any tips how I can " get things moving again" please. Sorry for the ew of this xxxx

Sounds familiar! I wasn't feeling all that great in the digestive system either when I was on 1200. I checked and my fibre intake was generously over the recommended allowance (thanks veggies!) and I drank water like a fish. My conclusion is that eating 1200, even with the cleanest high volume foods you can find, there just isn't enough 'bulk' in your system to keep it all moving.

I've since increased to 1400 and the problem has pretty much resolved itself. However within upping my calories I've kept my macros the same, so I think a small increase in carbs has assisted. If I'd have added another 200 of protein for example I'm not sure it would be as effective but that's just a hunch.

If you're not willing to up your calories I'd suggest coffee on an empty stomach first thing in the morning (nature's laxative!) or a herbal tea with Senna as one of the main ingredients every now and then. Don't get into the habit of relying on laxatives long-term, it's not healthy, but every now and then if it makes you feel comfortable I don't think there's any long-lasting effects. Senna is a well known leaf used in Oolong/Feiyan tea to help with digestive issues. It can be potent though so I'd suggest trying it at the weekends! It doesn't make magic BS claims like green tea with fairy dust for fat loss, it's a genuine product and not expensive.

Good luck, hope that helps. If you want a link to a specific tea let me know - or if you're in the UK go to Holland and Barretts and try their 'slimatea' it's got Senna in it.
  • KaelaLee88
    KaelaLee88 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    When following the 1,200 Calorie per day structure, my IBS went haywire and I had exactly your problem. After visiting a dietician, she suggested a greater fibre intake. It's easier than you think it'll be, if you aren't mega into fruits and Veg, try a high-fibre grain bar to get the process rolling. You want to look for a cereal or grain bar with around 5 grams of fibre, you'll be surprised how many low fibre bars are marketed as 'high-in-fibre' and 'good for you', normally the sugar content of these bars is out of this world! I also recommend staying hydrated and if all else fails, try some prunes. They are delicious and low-calorie. If still no relief, go see a Dr xx
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    By any chance, did you start taking a multi-vitamin with iron? I simply cannot take iron in pill form- it binds me up terribly. Other than that, sounds like you are eating well and getting enough fiber. I do take stool softeners a few times a week just to 'keep the mail moving' lol. Hope you find a solution.
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Stay very hydrated and Smooth Move tea works very well! All natural and very gentle

Agreed! Smooth Move works very well.

• snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Coffee on an empty stomach usually moves my morning mail.

On the very rare occasion I am backed up in a big way, I buy a bag of sugar-free jellie bellies from CVS, wait until I am home and don't need to be anywhere and eat the whole bag. The artificial sweetner in that stuff is, ahem. Well. It will completely clean you out.
  • luckypony71
    luckypony71 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I am happy to of seen this post. Major problem for me too. I drink a gallon of water a day. I am going to try the water before my coffee.
  • rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Fat and fibre. Even if I get 45g of fibre everyday, if my fat grams are low things don't run as smoothly!
    Why is it always us women who have this problem??? I never see these threads started by guys....

They don't talk about it! It's a little odd how often I've had poop conversations with my female friends!

I too have noticed this! So frustrating!