How many tbsp are in one cup of rice?

Options
When ordering from a restaurant to the office, I can't measure the rice in a cup, but in tbsp.
I'm a little confused by how to calculate it, and couldn't find one answer online.

Does anyone know?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Shushonet wrote: »
    When ordering from a restaurant to the office, I can't measure the rice in a cup, but in tbsp.
    I'm a little confused by how to calculate it, and couldn't find one answer online.

Does anyone know?

While cup and tablespoon measurements vary somewhat worldwide, generally speaking around 16 tablespoons make 1 cup and because cooked rice is a solid, and better measured by weight because a cup depends on how much you pack it, 16 TBS is sufficiently close for your work measuring needs.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

Does anyone know?

While cup and tablespoon measurements vary somewhat worldwide, generally speaking around 16 tablespoons make 1 cup and because cooked rice is a solid, and better measured by weight because a cup depends on how much you pack it, 16 TBS is sufficiently close for your work measuring needs.
    /thread

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    You're better off just eyeballing a cup
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Why not just have a food scale in your desk and weigh it when it shows up? More accurate anyway.
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options

Does anyone know?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+many+tbsp+in+a+cup
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Why not just have a food scale in your desk and weigh it when it shows up? More accurate anyway.

This. It'll be much faster than scooping out tablespoons as well.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    peter56765 wrote: »

Does anyone know?

Love this!
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options

Does anyone know?

Awesome.

• Shushonet
    Options

I would, but we work in an open space environment and I want to keep my diet to myself without any questions from co-workers
  • Shushonet
    Options

Does anyone know?

lol thanks! I'm not a native English speaker, so I've searched google in Hebrew without thinking about trying English...
  • Shushonet
    Options

Does anyone know?

Thank you!
    I must say 16 tbsp sounds like a lot, I don't know why. I've tried eyeballing it today at lunch and it seemed too much.
    I'll count the tbsp at home to verify
  • mikiabel
    mikiabel Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I mesured at home and for me it was 10 spoons for a cup. That is a regular glass cup.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    A cup is a liquid measure that is equal to 16 tablespoons of liquid. Rice is not a liquid. Measuring it by volume is problematic because the air between the granules takes up space that a liquid would fill. Each time you manipulated the rice, more air got trapped between the grains, therefore you were only able to fit 10 tablespoons of rice in the cup when you tried it at home. If you pressed down on the rice as you put it in the cup, you might be able to get twice as much rice in the cup. This is why measuring dry ingredients by volume is so problematic.