OW!! HEADACHES!

Options
I recently got back into an exercise routine and using FP to watch my calories. Each afternoon, around 2:00, I get a HORRIBLE headache! I drink PLENTY of water during the day, but can't figure out what is causing these headaches. Any suggestions/remedies? Thank you!

Replies

• Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Are you eating lower carb, by accident or on purpose? With the exercise burning off your glycogen stores you might be experiencing low carb flu.
  • dhiggins210
    dhiggins210 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you for responding so quickly, Jolinia! I haven't purposely cut back on carbs, but am taking in less. I have noticed that my daily intake is less than I would usually have before lunch! Will this pass or do I need to make adjustments?
  • Shushonet
    Options
    Is it possible you're drinking less caffeine? (coffee, green tea, coca cola...)
    You get headaches at first, until your body get used to lower amounts
  • Jolinia
    Options
    Thank you for responding so quickly, Jolinia! I haven't purposely cut back on carbs, but am taking in less. I have noticed that my daily intake is less than I would usually have before lunch! Will this pass or do I need to make adjustments?

I think you will adjust but I can't be sure because when I go into ketosis I tend to go all the way into low carb, eating only eggs, meat, and cheese until I adjust (if this is indeed what is happening to you, if it keeps up it could be doctor time just to be safe).
  • dhiggins210
    dhiggins210 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Shushonet, I really haven't adjusted my caffeine intake. But, I have noticed it affects me more. Jolinia suggested the Carb Flu. I haven't purposely cut back on carbs, but I definitely don't eat as many. I am hoping my body is just adjusting and this will pass. I really appreciate the quick response from both of you.
  • margolinville
    margolinville Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I recently got back into an exercise routine and using FP to watch my calories. Each afternoon, around 2:00, I get a HORRIBLE headache! I drink PLENTY of water during the day, but can't figure out what is causing these headaches. Any suggestions/remedies? Thank you!

Are you eating frozen dinners! High salt and preservatives gives me headaches! I never eat processed foods from the freezer section!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Certain foods give me headaches/migranes. Your diary isn't open so I could only suggest it could possibly be that in changing your diet you have introduced more tyramine contains foods. I can tolerate some, but past a threshold I get horrid headaches.

Some typical tyramine foods are:
    Packaged meats
    Aged cheese
    Avacado
    Nuts & seeds
    Over ripe bananas
    Chocolate

Tyramine is a break down of tyrosine, an amino acid. There is a more comprehensive list on the internet. These are most of the ones I have to watch. Good luck.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

Are you eating frozen dinners! High salt and preservatives gives me headaches! I never eat processed foods from the freezer section!

This is more likely a placebo effect of sorts. Salt and preservatives in "processed" foods will not actually give you headaches. There is no science to back this up, only fear-mongering broscience.

OP, I agree it could have something to do with carbs or caffeine. How many calories are you eating?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

This is more likely a placebo effect of sorts. Salt and preservatives in "processed" foods will not actually give you headaches. There is no science to back this up, only fear-mongering broscience.

This is nonsense. Had the suggestion been that processed frozen foods give everyone headaches, then it might make some sense. But one does not need a scientific study to know what triggers a headache on a personal level. Trial and error is all that is needed.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    If what you are experiencing is keto flu, the answer is electrolytes. If you're not purposely going low carb, you can fix that with gatorade. If you are, MIO or a cup of meat or bone broth will stop the headache pretty quickly. Beyond the quick fix, make sure you're getting enough salt, magnesium and potassium (and don't rely on MFP to tell you how much potassium you get, 90% of it isn't included in the database). That's true for anyone, but it's easier to drop too low on LC if you're not making an effort to include them.

• monikker
    monikker Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Try coconut water during and/or after workouts. I've gotten post-workout headaches before but never with coconut water. If you wanna go cheap and less healthy, drink a Gatorade.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

This is nonsense. Had the suggestion been that processed frozen foods give everyone headaches, then it might make some sense. But one does not need a scientific study to know what triggers a headache on a personal level. Trial and error is all that is needed.

OP is highly unlikely to be experiencing headaches due to "processed" foods. You can develop an allergy to anything, but most of the time, people read some junk science that an ingredient is "bad" and then suddenly start having reactions to it. This is a nocebo effect. It happens all the time (MSG, gluten, electromagnetic waves, microwaves, etc.).
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

OP is highly unlikely to be experiencing headaches due to "processed" foods. You can develop an allergy to anything, but most of the time, people read some junk science that an ingredient is "bad" and then suddenly start having reactions to it. This is a nocebo effect. It happens all the time (MSG, gluten, electromagnetic waves, microwaves, etc.).

Again, nonsense. All sorts of things can trigger headaches.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

Have you cut back any drinks that have caffeine?
  • Jolinia
    Options
    monikker wrote: »
    Try coconut water during and/or after workouts. I've gotten post-workout headaches before but never with coconut water. If you wanna go cheap and less healthy, drink a Gatorade.

I haven't tried this for headaches, but I love coconut water. Definitely worth the extra money!

Also JPW has a great suggestion for if it is low carb flu with the broth. A lot of Atkins people use it to transition in because of the salt.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

Yes there are many migraine triggers out there. All I'm saying that if someone was eating a lower calorie/carb diet and complaining of headaches, my first response would not be "Check your preservatives - chemicals can cause headaches!" Most of the general population does not have these sensitivities.

More likely, OP is not used to a lower carb intake and may not be properly fueling her body. When I first started, I was not eating enough calories, which caused me to be hungry and gave me headaches. Which is why I asked about her intake.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Yes there are many migraine triggers out there. All I'm saying that if someone was eating a lower calorie/carb diet and complaining of headaches, my first response would not be "Check your preservatives - chemicals can cause headaches!" Most of the general population does not have these sensitivities.

More likely, OP is not used to a lower carb intake and may not be properly fueling her body. When I first started, I was not eating enough calories, which caused me to be hungry and gave me headaches. Which is why I asked about her intake.

And that's a perfectly valid suggestion. It gave you headaches, so perhaps it is also the cause of hers. Which is exactly what the other poster did.
  • supermysza
    supermysza Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I get that too and am trying to work out what's been causing it. The last two times I ate lots of protein after working out and I haven't had a headache.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

And that's a perfectly valid suggestion. It gave you headaches, so perhaps it is also the cause of hers. Which is exactly what the other poster did.

Okay. That does not change the fact that most people are not sensitive to preservatives and that they are unlikely to be the cause of OP's headaches. Most people who have a fear of preservatives and claim to have reactions to them (other than people who have a genuine migraine trigger or allergy) only have "reactions" because they read somewhere that the chemical was bad. That poster's suggestion would not apply to the general population, which was what I was pointing out.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited February 2015
    Options

Okay. That does not change the fact that most people are not sensitive to preservatives and that they are unlikely to be the cause of OP's headaches. Most people who have a fear of preservatives and claim to have reactions to them (other than people who have a genuine migraine trigger or allergy) only have "reactions" because they read somewhere that the chemical was bad. That poster's suggestion would not apply to the general population, which was what I was pointing out.

What science do you have to back up your statements? How many people are sensitive to preservatives? What are the odds that OP isn't? What are the odds of having a sensitivity that does not apply to the "general population"?