WEIGHT LOSS HELP ASAP

Options
Hi im Kayley im 27 years old and i am 5 ft 2 and weigh 200 pounds :( , I cannot lose weight I am so confused on what to eat how many calories to comsume and exercise I have been told to do no exercise and only eat 1,300 then other ppl say eat 1,600 and exercise 2 hours a day every day im in desperate need and info to burn fat (I cant do sit ups, push ups or planks) so please can anybody help , I tried weights for a week and ate 1,500 but i gained 2 pounds !!! PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME BEFORE I GO INSANE !!!! :( if anyone answers me then please can you tell me what calories and or exercise to do please

Replies

• Vex3521
    Vex3521 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Thing is you have to stick with for more than a week on things, I know it's frustrating. Short of surgery there is no overnight fix and it's about finding what works for you best. I also find that keeping a log of measurements vs just using a scale is very helpful. I had a 2lb gain but lost 5 inches so you have that extra tool with measurements instead of just wondering why the scale went up and thinking you aren't making any changes.

1200 is too low for me, I work long days with a hectic life and 3rd shift job so I upped it to 1400 and I have been far less grouchy. Right now I am using dailyburn and had been doing squats and such at my desk on breaks so I decided to add in some of the 30day workout challenges since I like seeing progress in things. Maybe day 1 a 10 second plank is murder...... but by day 30 you CAN hit that 120 second plank. It's why I like those workout challenges!!

I like the db 15 series a lot since it fits into my schedule and it's helping regain some strength and trim me up (I have lost 5 inches overall since 2/17) so I am very optimistic I will reach my mini goal of being able to tolerate doing tapout xt by 4/5 since I have a bad knee and trying to start that series put me in way too much pain and I ended up swelling.

I do a lot of housework and turn up the radio and dance with it while I clean. Figure that justifies the calorie burn estimates I get on here when I log. If I can get back in the gym I will likely have to adjust my calories and go back to using tdee - 20 to 30% for a more accurate intake because last time I was struggling until I upped the calories and weight peeled off.

Hope some of this helps
  • cheltgirl87
    Options
    Thank you I was thinking of doing the biggest loser workout as they use a lot of weights doing that twice a day for 30 mins and doing a aerobics/walk workout aswell just one a week for a hour as I read weights burn more fat than cardio
  • Pack100
    Pack100 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Work out all you want but your diet is the most important thing to focus on.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Stick to the calories MFP suggests for you and log any exercise you do. If you don't do any exercise, that's fine, you'll still lose weight if you stick to your calorie goal. When you do do exercise, log it and eat the calories back (or only eat some of the calories back if you're worried about the burn being overestimated, most people go for 50%-80%).

Also, weight loss isn't linear - some weeks you'll lose, some you'll stay the same, some you'll gain. You have to stick at it, there will be weeks when you're up 2lbs (especially if you've just started a new exercise program), but then it'll be gone the next week, or the week after. And bare in mind you will fluctuate from day to day, one day you could be 2lbs heavier than the day before, then 2lbs lighter again the day after. I find it best to weigh every day and write it down, though some people prefer to weigh once a week or once a month.

Good luck!
  • cheltgirl87
    Options
    This is where I'm confused I don't know what to do on any of it because at beginning of jan I ate 1,300 and exercised 5 times a week cardio only for 1 hr I lost 5 pounds in the first 2 weeks but then I didn't lose any then I changed it to 1,500 and exercised 4 times a week and nothing's working I need help on exercises and calories I am eating healthy
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    First of all, hi :smile: I suppose you've put in your numbers into MFP and arrived at your caloric goals? I highly recommend setting your weight loss goal to 0.5 lb/week to start with so you don't get very frustrated. You can keep tweaking it as you get more comfortable with your diet and exercise pattern. Start with a combination of cardio and weight training. Cardio will help you build cardiovasular strength and weight training will make sure you're not losing muscle. And yes, in the long run, weight training helps you retain muscle which helps you burn more resting calories. Hope this helps!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Plug your stats into MFP and let it give a calorie goal. This is how many calories you should eat. Weight loss is mostly what you eat, exercise is for fitness (and can buy you a few extra calories).

If you do a workout, log it and eat back half the calories.
    Read the Sexypants sticky thread in the Getting Started Forum.

Be patient and give your body time to adjust. Even if you are perfect, you will not lose weight every week, the body is complicated. Stick to what you are doing for at least 3-4 weeks before making any changes to give it time to work.

Don't overthink it and don't rush it. You didn't gain it all in a month, and you won't lose it all in a month.

Good luck! :drinker:
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I recommend reading the stickies at the top of each forum section. Learning the basics will help take the mystery out of it all. The more you know the easier it gets.
  • weightsnbakes
    weightsnbakes Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 4 and 218 lbs so I'm roundabout your size and weight.

Firstly, the weight is not going to come off overnight. It's going to take time and you need to be patient. Set your MFP goal to something less aggressive, like 0.5lbs a week. It might not sound like a lot but if you incorporate exercise you are likely not going to eat all your calories.

Track everything that goes into your mouth, the good, bad and ugly. Be accountable! Look at what you are eating, if much of your food is processed or fast food then you are likely not going to lose weight.

As for what to eat, find an eating lifestyle (not a diet, D is a dirty word to me) that you can sustain and that won't drive you crazy. I eat vegetables, fruit, some grains, lots of protein and healthy fats. I also eat cake and chocolate but not every week.

Find an exercise that you can enjoy. Me, I love lifting weights. It's empowering and my guns are getting bigger *flex*. It's important that you find something you can enjoy because if you hate how you are exercising, you're not going to do it.

If you are a beginner then you are likely not going to be able to hold plank for 60 seconds right out the gate. Body strength takes time. The great thing about lifting weights is that you are adding muscle, which in turn burns more calories.

Feel free to add me as a friend, my food log is available to friends as is my exercise log.

But most important, be patient.
  • cheltgirl87
    Options
    Thx but it's people tell me I have to exercise at least 5 days a week 2 hours a day with squats planks ect I can't do those , so then I change what was working then I'm always in a vicious circle
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Thank you I was thinking of doing the biggest loser workout as they use a lot of weights doing that twice a day for 30 mins and doing a aerobics/walk workout aswell just one a week for a hour as I read weights burn more fat than cardio

Working out twice a day is unnecessary. Keep a reasonable calorie deficit and try to get regular exercise. I lost 40 lbs working out 30 mins a day (home workout video) and eating around 1800 calories (my regular deficit plus a portion of exercise calories). Then just be patient - maybe pick a goal unrelated to the scale, like being able to do a certain number of push-ups or run a 5k.
  • weightsnbakes
    weightsnbakes Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    What works for one person isn't going to work for another. You are just starting out, so go slow. Start off with walking 30 minutes a day. Or three times a week. Then, add some bodyweight movements like bodyweight squat, elevated pushup and lunges. Go slow. Don't listen to those who are telling you to work out twice a day etc. it's not going to work for you right now. Be patient.
  • Looks like you are getting support so listen to all your new fitness friends and check in with us each day! xoxo
  • krithsai
    Options
    Thx but it's people tell me I have to exercise at least 5 days a week 2 hours a day with squats planks ect I can't do those , so then I change what was working then I'm always in a vicious circle

Don't listen to those people. Not everyone has the time to workout 2 hours a day. Choose your workouts correctly and plan around your caloric goal for the day. If 45 minutes is all you have, do it. I have all of 45 minutes and I get those 45 minutes only 4-5 times a week. So that's all I do. But I have no problem losing 1 lb/week because I work with my caloric allowance and make sure I log correctly.
  • krithsai
    Options
    Also, with respect to not being able to squats and planks, is it some health related reason? Or is it because you think you cannot do them because you're not particularly fit?
  • sbdevig
    Options
    Hi im Kayley im 27 years old and i am 5 ft 2 and weigh 200 pounds :( , I cannot lose weight I am so confused on what to eat how many calories to comsume and exercise I have been told to do no exercise and only eat 1,300 then other ppl say eat 1,600 and exercise 2 hours a day every day im in desperate need and info to burn fat (I cant do sit ups, push ups or planks) so please can anybody help , I tried weights for a week and ate 1,500 but i gained 2 pounds !!! PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME BEFORE I GO INSANE !!!! :( if anyone answers me then please can you tell me what calories and or exercise to do please [/quo
  • cheltgirl87
    Options
    I try doing sit ups and planks I find them hard to do
  • cheltgirl87
    Options
    All my weight is my stomach x
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Doesn't matter what exercise you do or if you don't do any at all. All that matters is what you're eating. You could lose weight sitting down all day if you wanted, which is pretty much what I did at uni - I lost 4 stone doing no exercise and rarely walking more than 2,000 steps a day. Exercise is good, but not necessary.
    I try doing sit ups and planks I find them hard to do
    All my weight is my stomach x

Also you can't spot reduce - doing exercises that focus your abs won't make you lose weight from your stomach. Fat will go from wherever the body wants it to go from.
  • krithsai
    Options
    What works for one person isn't going to work for another. You are just starting out, so go slow. Start off with walking 30 minutes a day. Or three times a week. Then, add some bodyweight movements like bodyweight squat, elevated pushup and lunges. Go slow. Don't listen to those who are telling you to work out twice a day etc. it's not going to work for you right now. Be patient.

What she said. I highly recommend Leslie Sansone's home walking videos if you're just starting out. The moves are uncomplicated and you'll break out a nice sweat. You could even do it twice a day without having to spend an insane amount of time on it.