Anyone else using myfitnesspal whilst pregnant?

Options
in my first pregnancy, I ate whatever and whenever I felt like it which resulted in a few stone to lose once my daughter arrived. This time around I wanted to try and be more sensible as I don't think the weight will drop off quite as easily. I chose the option to maintain weight but just wondered if anyone else uses MFP in pregnancy and what they use as a guideline for their calorie intake?

Replies

• CFishback23
    Options
    It's my first pregnancy & I started overweight & have gained 10 pounds so far as of week 24 so I got back on here and just chose the maintain option so I'm hoping from now on all I gain is BABY.
  • Fruitloop828
    Fruitloop828 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm 4 months pregnant. I chose the maintain option also, but I wasn't sure if I should keep adjusting it as I gain weight in pregnancy...
  • amym33mfp
    amym33mfp Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yeah I figured the maintain option was best as you only need 200 extra calories and that isn't until the final trimester,week 26. At times I have wanted to gorge so this has helped keep me in check :smiley:
  • rhankinson
    Options
    I'm only 10 weeks along but have a strong love affair with food and tend to gorge when I'm not accountable to anyone.. so here I am! I picked the maintenance option for now. I trust my hunger (and shaky low blood sugar symptoms) so if it's not enough I'll adjust later. Love this app - if anyone is interested in adding friends or sharing diaries I am in!
  • awoodward72
    awoodward72 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 15 weeks and just started tracking today. I selected the 'maintain' option too, which seemed like a lot of calories until I started eating my 'normal' pregnancy food today. Last pregnancy I gained 40 lbs and it took me 2 yrs to get it off! Want to do a bit better this time. Plus I have to take the glucose test next week and wanted to see how many carbs I was eating currently (in case I have to go back on the gestational diabetes diet).
  • daisyjen10
    daisyjen10 Posts: 12
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm 31 weeks, and was overweight to begin with. And now I have gestational diabetes. But the good news is that ever since I cut out the sugar and have faithfully been using MFP to track everything, my blood sugar is great (no meds!) and I've lost 9 pounds! So MFP is really helpful for me to start undoing the damage I did early on! :)
  • mizbrittanykaye
    mizbrittanykaye Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 12 weeks, been using mfp just for tracking. At my first prenatal appointment it was recommended that I only gain fifteen pounds with this pregnancy, since I was overweight to start. I set mfp to the 'lose 1/2 a pound a week' option to help me keep my intake in check. It works sometimes, lol.
    Glad to have the first trimester mess behind me; energy is up so I feel like working out again, and most of my food aversions have gone.
  • amym33mfp
    Options
    rhankinson wrote: »
    I'm only 10 weeks along but have a strong love affair with food and tend to gorge when I'm not accountable to anyone.. so here I am! I picked the maintenance option for now. I trust my hunger (and shaky low blood sugar symptoms) so if it's not enough I'll adjust later. Love this app - if anyone is interested in adding friends or sharing diaries I am in!

Ha ha I am much the same! This is a handy app just to keep a track as then I figure you're a lot more aware of what your putting in. Unfortunately I seem to eat a lot of sugar (damn you wine gums!) so trying to cut down on those...with not much luck!!lol. Good luck with your pregnancy :)

• amym33mfp
    Options
    I'm 15 weeks and just started tracking today. I selected the 'maintain' option too, which seemed like a lot of calories until I started eating my 'normal' pregnancy food today. Last pregnancy I gained 40 lbs and it took me 2 yrs to get it off! Want to do a bit better this time. Plus I have to take the glucose test next week and wanted to see how many carbs I was eating currently (in case I have to go back on the gestational diabetes diet).

I do love that it tells you how much you're having for fats/sugar etc. Brilliant for you to be able to track carbs and fingers crossed the glucose test went well :)
  • amym33mfp
    Options
    daisyjen10 wrote: »
    I'm 31 weeks, and was overweight to begin with. And now I have gestational diabetes. But the good news is that ever since I cut out the sugar and have faithfully been using MFP to track everything, my blood sugar is great (no meds!) and I've lost 9 pounds! So MFP is really helpful for me to start undoing the damage I did early on! :)

Bloody well done on losing 9lbs!! Excellent news on not having to use any medication either! :) Am almost 29 weeks and weighed myself the other day and have gained just under 2 stone :/ (I gained A LOT more in my first pregnancy but still was bit disheartened!) I kept with the maintain option and it said for me to have 2100 calories (am 5'11 so possibly that why am allowed so many?!) but then when checking how many you should be eating,websites seem to recommend 2000 and then only the extra 200 in the final trimester so am now thinking I should alter my goal to reduce my calorie intake so I don't balloon in this final trimester!

• amym33mfp
    Options
    I'm 12 weeks, been using mfp just for tracking. At my first prenatal appointment it was recommended that I only gain fifteen pounds with this pregnancy, since I was overweight to start. I set mfp to the 'lose 1/2 a pound a week' option to help me keep my intake in check. It works sometimes, lol.
    Glad to have the first trimester mess behind me; energy is up so I feel like working out again, and most of my food aversions have gone.

That's always a bonus when you can start to eat more normally. I full on carbo loaded in my first trimester and could only stomach mashed potato.lol. Have tried to be as sensible as possible since and not just eat junk..luckily haven't had cravings for burgers this time around, much to my husbands disappointment!lol