Losing motivation...

Options
I have only lost 10 pounds so far and I am losing my motivation. I have a lot of weight to lose and I need to do this for myself, my amazing husband and four kids. How do I get back to being psyched about my weight loss journey?? Help please.... :~/

Replies

• vendygirl
    vendygirl Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Just remember it took a long time to put that weight on so it will take a bit to get it off.
    Concentrate on how you feel and how your clothes fit, weight is relative.
  • xXAlana21Xx
    xXAlana21Xx Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    i think you shold focus on short term goals.. it seems harder when you look at the big picture! maybe if you focus one pound at a time and ask yourself what can you do to lose this nex pound
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    10 lbs? I bet with each pound lost on that scale you were THRILLED! Well just keep that feeling in mind. How great will it be with 10 more gone? 20 more gone? You are AWESOME and have already gotten started. That's the hardest part. Keep going! It's worth it in the end!
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Just remember it took a long time to put that weight on so it will take a bit to get it off.
    Concentrate on how you feel and how your clothes fit, weight is relative.

I agree!!!!

How long have you been working on MFP? I would say give it a valid try for 3 months and then lose hope. What exercise are you doing? Maybe you need to switch that up or add to it....

Add me if you want and I will help encourage you! :bigsmile:
  • McCarthy6
    McCarthy6 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Why focus on the "whole pie" so to speak? You have lost 10 FREAKING POUNDS! Great job. Was it easy-peazy-lemon-squeezy to do? Probably not. Break your long term goal into smaller short term goals so that you can celebrate along the way. You didn't gain the weight overnight and you will not lose it overnight. Accept the challenge before you and kick some proverbial BUTT! :)
  • daniellejg
    daniellejg Posts: 97
    Options
    When I need motivation, I always go and look at the success stories, that usually does the trick for me
  • decu68
    decu68 Posts: 78
    Options
    Motivation is hard for many; I get to those points to and then take a "short" break which I know will set me back, make me mad and then get me back on track. You need to find that "something" that will make you want to keep going. Has to come from you; from within. Perhaps it is some type of reward system. Good luck to you.
  • terri0702
    terri0702 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You have lost 10lbs this is an amazing achievement! Be proud of your weight loss, this will keep you going, well done,
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I will tell you, it is not easy making a lifestyle change, please keep hope because everyday takes you closer to your goal. Remember, you did take a while to put it on and it is so much healthy to loose it slowly and steadily. So stay encouraged you can do it! And small goals are key, when you keep focusing on the big picture you loose focus.
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    10 lbs? I bet with each pound lost on that scale you were THRILLED! Well just keep that feeling in mind. How great will it be with 10 more gone? 20 more gone? You are AWESOME and have already gotten started. That's the hardest part. Keep going! It's worth it in the end!

Congrats on your weightloss mhanson18!!!! :love: :flowerforyou: :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • marandaj77
    marandaj77 Posts: 13
    Options
    Find something you want as apart of your weight loss plans.Like a cute dress,a pair of jeans and get a picture or even buy it and each week take it out look at it try it on until it fits.You can do it you can reach your goal.Don't give up
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Maybe you just need a break. Walk away for a day or two and come back fresh. Think of it as a lifestyle not just a diet. Don't focus on short term. It didn't take a day to put it on and it won't take a day to take it off. By this time next year you will see the difference without the pressure.
  • dawnw30
    dawnw30 Posts: 270
    Options
    Just don't stop! You're doing an awesome job!! You've lost 10 pounds now aim for 20!! Every 10 pounds can be a mini goal to reach...every time you make it you will fell great about yourself and you'll notice the changes happening to your body. YOU CAN DO IT! Hang in there!! If you need a cheerleader and a friend feel free to add me! :flowerforyou:
  • pattialling
    pattialling Posts: 19
    Options
    I totally understand. I was really into losing weight but I'm kind of falling inbetween the cracks again. I can feel it.
    This is what I do when I get like this is think about the following:
    -Next year around this time I would have wished I didn't stop this journey.
    -I shouldn't have this diet on my mind 24/7, its just something I'm doing.
    Then there are some really great quotes that I saved onto microsoft word, I'll share some with you.

“You have failed only when you quit trying. Until then, you’re still in the act of progression. So, never quit trying and you’ll never be a failure.” –Tommy Kelley

“Opportunity may knock only once, but temptation leans on the doorbell.”

“Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.”

I hope this helps!
    -Patti
  • jldaley09
    jldaley09 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    When I need motivation, I always go and look at the success stories, that usually does the trick for me
    Ditto.. I figure if these people can do it, so can I... it gives me hope.
  • song2sing
    song2sing Posts: 183
    Options
    "Good things come to those that wait"!! Hey no worries, keep plugging away. Your body is saying "hey what is going on"?, so it would initially take a lot of good food and good exercise to keep your metabolism going strong! You have to train it to know that you are changing up some things and eventually it will catch up to your new lifestyle!

My loss has come off slower than I wanted it to. Gosh, it has taken 3 months of hard work, sweat of the brow, perseverance and concentration. I am seeing me sooo differently than I have seen myself before and it really feels good. I think that it is something that is a mind set as well as a physical set. I have been sooo motivated to just keep going. MFP friends have helped so much with encouraging words. Read some of the blogs and messages posted, they will light up your life!!

Sure I want it to come off faster, but I will take what I can cause I am losing inches and my pants are falling off of me when I exercise, I have more energy and am starting to feel like a new person (those little perks are called NON SCALE VICTORIES = NSV as you might have seen on here before!

Of course there will be days when you don't see a loss that you expected and it doesn't feel so good, especially when you've worked really hard at trying. That usually means that you need to change things up a bit, concentrate on what you are eating, portions, veggies, fruits, carbs, sodium, etc. Next check your exercise and see if you are working your heart and body as best you can. Water - flushes out the bad stuff and keeps you hydrated. So many factors that contribute to this weight loss journey.

I have confidence that you will find what works best for you (it's really kind of trial and error for every individual). Do you eat all you calories back, does sodium make you retain water, does popcorn change your weight loss the next day? Those are things we all struggle with and are different for every person!

So in the midst of your discouragement, take a close look at you! Set your dreams and goals and run for the gold!!

We are here for you; MFP friends and family! YOU ARE NOT ALONE!

Best of the best as you make the best out of the best person - YOU!!

Joyful in the Journey!
    song2sing
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    When you move into a new house that you like, you take the time to fix it up just the way you want it because you plan on living there for awhile. You'll buy a nice couch, a matching love seat, and end tables, and then you'd place the items perfectly in front of the big screen fifty-two inch television. Every room in the house is just the way you want it because you plan on staying there for awhile. Well, your profile is just like that dream house. You should fix it up by telling the world exactly what your weight-loss goals are. You can put a snazzy picture on your profile, a picture of some actress with the body you desire or it can just be a picture of you to remind you of what you need to do to lose the weight. You can tell the world the reason why you want to lose the weight. For example, I want to see my babies graduate from college. I want my husband to look at me the way he did before I gained the weight. Or, I simply want to love the person looking back at me in the mirror.

When a person has an empty profile, it pretty much tells the world that I don't plan on being here long; and people that don't plan on being here long aren't in the game to win it. They usually want a quick fix to losing weight. To lose 160 pounds usually takes about two years of arduous calorie counting, exercising, and a whole lot of denying yourself some of the fattiest and tastiest foods on the planet. You'll have days when you're on a high and days when you're on a low, but with each day you're honest with your calorie counting, you'll be that much closer to reaching your weight-loss goals. And each time that you log into your MFP account, you can see the reasons why you're here: for my family, for my health, for my life. So, fix up your MFP profile, tell the world your reasons for wanting to lose the weight, log every day, and enjoy life.
  • Leslie2273
    Leslie2273 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I can certainly see where you are coming from. I'm struggling with that myself especially after I just had an injury and can't do too much. Right now for me I keep checking MFP and see what progress and support is here and it keeps me going. Right now since I can't do too much exercise wise I feel like as long as I watch what I eat & stay under my calories then I'm doing ok. Feel free to add me!!

Good luck,

~Leslie smiley-happy114.gif
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    You have to make it a priority. Just like getting up for work everyday, feeding the kids and doing housework. Some days are better than others. Some things you like to do, some things you don't, but you still have to do them. Slacking off is not an option.
  • robinmurphy71
    Options
    Wow....I am overwhelmed with all of the encouragement and great advice. Thank you all so much! I am going to stick to this. I have been with MFP for four weeks now. I definitely know where to go when I am losing hope or just need some . Thanks again to all of you! You have no idea how much your kind words touched me. (((HUGS)))