Low carb lifestyle

Options
mindycredeur
mindycredeur Posts: 9 Member
edited February 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I was diagnosed with PCOS at 18 and have a family history of diabetes, I feel like I am not going to win this battle unless I live a low carb lifestyle. Here's the thing... I don't know where to start. I live in South Louisiana & our meals are full of carbs, my husband could literally have rice & gravy every night :(

I am looking for some suggestions, recipes, ideas & advice on doing low carb. Also what would be the appropriate macros for someone eating low carb?

Also, would I benefit from low carb/high fat or just a low carb diet & does that mean that I can't have fruit, since it's so high in carbs?! Thanks

Replies

• markjacobs1987
    markjacobs1987 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Just a reminder that carbs are good for your diet so you don't want to go really low on them, because your body uses carbs for fuel. You can absolutely have fruit, but just make sure not to have too much because of the sugar. The lowest I'd go on carbs for a macro ratio is 50/30/20 (protein, carb, fat), but 40/40/20 is a good ratio to go with too.
  • mindycredeur
    mindycredeur Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I think I have always known that but of course everything I read says low carb is the way to go! I lost weight years ago on WW & still ate carbs...I will try switching up my macros a bit & see how it works.
  • LiveForTheWilderness
    Options
    Mark isn't entirely correct. Carbs are not necessary. Once you enter ketosis, your body burns fat for energy to a certain limit (that limit is typically found by ultra-athletes). If you are interested in the low carb lifestyle, check out www.reddit.com/r/keto and read up on the FAQ. Keto has fit me very well.
  • LondonSuz
    LondonSuz Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Come over to the low carb group board, loads of help and ideas over here :)
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Here you can find support:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
    There is also a useful "launch pad" with a lot of material.
  • nickibowen
    nickibowen Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS at 18 and have a family history of diabetes, I feel like I am not going to win this battle unless I live a low carb lifestyle. Here's the thing... I don't know where to start. I live in South Louisiana & our meals are full of carbs, my husband could literally have rice & gravy every night :(

I am looking for some suggestions, recipes, ideas & advice on doing low carb. Also what would be the appropriate macros for someone eating low carb?

Also, would I benefit from low carb/high fat or just a low carb diet & does that mean that I can't have fruit, since it's so high in carbs?! Thanks

I hear ya girl! I love the food we have here in south Louisiana and I'm proud to be Cajun. But hello I don't want to die from a heart attack. So I've been doing like you, trying to make healthy Cajun meals.
    Maybe we could bounce a few recipes off each other. You can add me as a friend if you like, and we can share some of our favorites. Good luck to you!
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    avvgromano wrote: »
    Here you can find support:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
    There is also a useful "launch pad" with a lot of material.

This group is AWESOME and I completely agree to join this and ask your questions. But also join the http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/3070-p-c-o-sis for the PCOS side of things. Many of us are on both groups and it has worked great.