Women: Hot Flashes, mood swings & weight gain... not havin' it!

Options
Attn: women!! Yes, it's happened. I turned 50 last year and they've started... the hot flashes, mood swings.... This post is coming from a mindset I refuse to stay in. The irritability and increased appetite, etc... has got to stop! lol...

Okay, so after a little bit of research on perimenopause/menopause, here is what I did find:
- during this phase this is where 90% of women experience weight gain
- balancing hormones is key
- fluctuations in perimenopause directly impacts appetite, fat storage & metabolism
- estrogen, progesterone and testosterone: sometimes suggested as therapy
- insulin resistance & stress are also responsible for a woman's inability to experience weight
loss, especially during menopause
- resistance occurs when a woman's body incorrectly converts every calorie into fat, which
would be considered an extreme case
- spicy foods, excess sugar & fat can increase/intensify menopausal symptoms

Wanted to start there as this is a true learning experience for me. I lost 46 lbs a few yrs ago, gained some back and am looking to lose about 35 lbs now. This time it seems so much harder!

What I would be sincerely interested to know, is if anyone has had luck with using any supplements or can certain foods help to ease these symptoms? I have not tried HRT (hormone replacement therapy) yet and am trying not to go there if I don't have to. I'd love to incorporate a healthier/cleaner eating plan but to still try to work in the things I love here and there (in moderation). I am currently exercising and am losing slowly but feel like I could sabotage myself so easy and am not happy about it! And, yes - this NE winter is certainly not helping any :)

Would love any feedback or helpful stories if you're willing to share.

Thank you in advance!
Nowornever47 (aka Dani)

Replies

• tamcrit
    tamcrit Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you and would love to see what advice others have to share.
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I started peri menopause back in my early 40's.... My mom (who is now 76) was also an early bloomer and back in the day they did long term HRT. Fast forward with new medical info, they took her off in her late 60's and she picked up where she left off so we got to commiserate over our hot flashes together. Ultimately she ended up with a rare form of breast cancer a couple years ago directly related to the long-term hormone replacement. My gyn reassured me he could safely do a short term HRT (something like 2 yrs) , but I opted to just power through.

I did, however, get a mirina iud to stop the ridiculous menses I was experiencing (super heavy flow 2x's a month) . It releases a small dose of progestin and a little known (or rather untouted) side effect was helping me with the mood swings and hot flashes. When I went back 5 yrs later for it to be replaced, my gyn just smiled because they definitely don't tell you it might help in that department, but it would have been worthwhile regardless just to stop the crazy periods :s

I also tried a hormone cream recommended by my MD you can get at Natures, but I really didn't notice much help from it so I stopped. I had friends do black cohosh but they didn't seem to really see much benefit either.

I'm turning 54 in a couple of months and rarely get them now. My friends and I noticed wine was also a trigger in addition to some foods.... My worst always seemed to be in the morning, after I showered and was doing my hair and make up. It was crazy... I would just be drenched and feel like I needed another shower LOL. And of course waking up at night on occasion having to change the sheets and shower.. Uugh!

This is definitely something everyone needs to make their personal informed choices about with the help of their doctor.(be it an M.D., gynecologist or naturopath ) .... But I will caution you if there is ANY history of breast cancer in your family I would try really hard to avoid the HRT route (including black cohosh supplements), but your doctor will be your best ally to help you make good choices. Good luck <3
  • LuckyStar813
    LuckyStar813 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I am 46 and in the last couple of years I am warm all.the.time especially at night. In the last year I mysteriously gained a bunch more weight without changing my eating habits. However I am still on BCP so my hormones should be pretty regular and I don't get mood swings.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I believe I will be in official menopause a year from now. I've experienced parimenopause for years.

I lost a stepmom to breast cancer and my dad blames the years she was on hormone replacement therapy. He does not want me to follow suit. When I did my research about ten years ago, the nurse explained that if I did hormone replacement I would still go through menopause symptoms when went off them. So I decided to endure the symptoms while I am relatively young.

So I take Black Cohosh which has a barely noticeable effect.

For the hot flashes I dress in layers and toss off the blankets several times a night.
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    My worst always seemed to be in the morning, after I showered and was doing my hair and make up. It was crazy... I would just be drenched and feel like I needed another shower LOL. And of course waking up at night on occasion having to change the sheets and shower.. Uugh!

This is definitely something everyone needs to make their personal informed choices about with the help of their doctor.(be it an M.D., gynecologist or naturopath ) .... But I will caution you if there is ANY history of breast cancer in your family I would try really hard to avoid the HRT route (including black cohosh supplements), but your doctor will be your best ally to help you make good choices. Good luck <3

You are not alone, I seem to be drenched after drying my hair also. What I do to help with that is wait about 10-15 minutes before drying my hair. That helps, no idea why.

No HRT for me thanks to breast cancer, and as a horse woman I would not use it anyway (Google how it is made). The hot flashes and night sweats are getting to be fewer and further between, but it has been 5-6 years now, so I hope they go away altogether at some point in the not too distant future.

I still get very irritable when in the middle of a flash, and try to not have to speak to anyone til it passes. And I did find that I was packing on the pounds at an alarming rate more than a year ago, found this site, and counting calories, portion control and increased exercise got rid of that.

Good luck!
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Oh! I forgot. A glass of cold water can stop a hot flash in it's tracks.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    If I were a brat I might suggest to the clean eating crowd to eat more tofu, soybean curd, and edamame.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    If I were a brat I might suggest to the clean eating crowd to eat more tofu, soybean curd, and edamame.

Careful with those if you have a thyroid condition, though!

• jgnatca
    Options
    @mamapeach910 learn something new every day: Soy products and underactive thyroid. The food interaction I always remember is grapefruit. Again a nod to the natural eating crowd, this is a case where a natural enzyme can interfere with blood pressure medications, for instance.

• PeachyCarol
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I was a very early starter, and I was diagnosed as being perimenopausal at 30. Mine dragged out for years. If I make it to the end of May, I will officially be menopausal finally this year at the age of 52. I stopped having hot flashes last year.

I did it without medication (l lost my mind in the process, though!) and just dressed in layers. Sadly, the cold water trick didn't work for me.

I did put on weight and my middle did thicken. The good news is that at this point, I am losing weight just fine. I exercise when my health is up for it (I have a few medical conditions that play up now and then) and eat at a reasonable deficit, eating foods I enjoy, and things are progressing as they should.

I do tend to keep my carb intake moderate (150g max) and protein intake high (100g) out of preference. I don't know if that impacts anything. I doubt that it does, but thought I'd throw that out there.
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Oh! I forgot. A glass of cold water can stop a hot flash in it's tracks.

Hahaha~ almost forgot one of my friends did Ice packs in the armpits :D. She swore by it!
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    @mamapeach910 learn something new every day: Soy products and underactive thyroid. The food interaction I always remember is grapefruit. Again a nod to the natural eating crowd, this is a case where a natural enzyme can interfere with blood pressure medications, for instance.

To be fair, you have to eat a LOT of soy to impact an underactive thyroid. I'm a vegetarian, and before I became intolerant to it, ate a LOT of tofu. I have Hashimoto's and was just fine.

It's just something that it's best to keep an eye on.

• myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I'm 24 and have all that shtuff.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    @myheartsabattleground do you mean grapefruit or menopausal symptoms?
  • caryb2015
    caryb2015 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I went off BCP at age 53 and within 6-8 weeks started epic night sweats so got very little sleep for the next 6 months. Over the next 2 years they've gotten less intense without me taking anything. I did talk to my gyn and basically decided that HRT would just delay the adjustment time so decided not to take anything. I do keep a fan pointed at me all night with a fan while DH sleeps under electric blanket.

I have always been a person who gets completely knocked out by Benadryl so a few times a month I will take one before bed. On those nights I either don't get any sweats or am so drugged that they don't wake me up.

As far as weight loss is concerned, I had lost 100 lbs a few years before all of this started and the weight stayed off during the worst of the transition. However last year at age 54 1/2 I took a high stress, long hours job and I packed on 20+ lbs in @ 8 months. I quit that job and am now working on taking off the excess weight. It's budging, but it's slower than I expected. Although I've always heard harder to lose after menopause I thought it would be easier w/o hormonal fluctuations.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I'm 60 and on 7 years of hot flashes. I just read that they can last 14 yrs----sigh. I must admit that they are not as bad as before. I had hot flashes from hell--every hour for 5 min. Sometimes I think maybe I'm just used to them. I take Back Cohosh and have tried to stop, but I get so irritable, and just mean, so I take it and it keeps me on an even keel. I'm always amazed that my head, and trunk get sweaty, but not my arms and legs. Another oddity, one always starts when I lay down in bed. My doctor refused to let me do hormone therapy because she considered it too dangerous, so I'm still muddling through. I still think that if men had them, we'd have had a cure long ago. B)
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    @myheartsabattleground do you mean grapefruit or menopausal symptoms?

Surgical Menopause.
  • Cinnamonhuskies
    Cinnamonhuskies Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    myheartsabattleground love your avatar, reminds me of my 20 yo son the all things Zelda worshipper lol.....

BTW OP I just turned 47 and have had symptoms for the past year that are getting progressively worse. I lost 44 lbs in my 30s only to gain back 50. Working on it, but now I have to work much harder.
    My sister had breast cancer and my dad had pancreatic cancer, so I am careful with soy.
    I take a Ladies Formula herbal tonic from Nature's Answers. It helps.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I am in the middle of it all too. I find that FOR ME eating LESS red meat, more soy/tofu, more legumes, more fatty fish all work "with me" in terms of insomnia, hot flashes, and night sweats. Oh, and alas, less wine. So, yes, jgnatca, more soy. Not sure what that has to do with "clean eating" but there it is.

And FOR ME, limiting my heavily refined carbs (white bread and refined sugar) helps to manage my weight.

YMMV

I also use a bio identical progesterone, and take magnesium. But the hot flashes etc. really mellowed when I cut back on red meat and added more soy and legumes and focused on eating a more nutrient dense diet in general.

again, YMMV
  • 3furballs
    3furballs Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I'm 43 and have had pre menopausal symptoms off and on for 3 years. At first mynatuopath figured It was wacked out hormones due to either being pregnant or nursing from 32-39. But my mom had her last period when she was 42.

I find Fematrix had really helped with all the symptoms, hot flashes, headaches, sore joints, trouble sleeping and mood problems. I haven't taken it in a while and seem to be symptom free lately except that I gained 8 - 9lbs in a month. Some I'm sure is over indulgence in December but my naturopath said some is for sure hormones. And the weight is not coming off, or is incredibly slow. Though I'm very impatient too. It's in my middle it seems I've gained which is unusual, normally is the caboose I gain in first.