Healthy Weight/BMI?

Options
2»

Replies

• jlaw_1992
    jlaw_1992 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    This is not a pro-Ana site or similar, there are unfortunately many sites where the underweight are glorified. MFP is designed for healthy approaches to healthy weight loss and it's a great community to be part of

Thank goodness for that. I got fatshamed on a photo board elsewhere earlier... with a BMI of 22.9. Wut just happened.

• triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    You have a disorder. You need to get some help. If you are a BMI of 18.3 and think you are fat then you are not objective. I can be obsessive about my weight but I still look at this logically and can say that no one who is 5'4" and 123lbs can be considered fat. If at 5'5" and 110 you cannot 100% see that there is no way you should be attempting to lose weight then you need counseling, yesterday.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    If you think you're too big, you have a problem. I'm not saying they're right in that you need to gain weight. Some people are a little smaller and are just fine. However, the fact that you think you need to keep losing despite being classified as underweight means you need to take a long hard look at yourself and make sure you don't have serious body image issues or an eating disorder.
  • lydiarose9419
    Options
    I have three sisters all between 5"3-5"6 and they are all around 100 to 120 pounds and they do not have an ED (even though people would say they did) in fact they are very healthy and probably ate more than their friends but just healthy choices. You cannot make assumptions like that. It's incredibly rude.. it's your body your descisions as long as you are happy and healthy be whatever weight you want 180 or 110 or whatever.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I have three sisters all between 5"3-5"6 and they are all around 100 to 120 pounds and they do not have an ED (even though people would say they did) in fact they are very healthy and probably ate more than their friends but just healthy choices. You cannot make assumptions like that. It's incredibly rude.. it's your body your descisions as long as you are happy and healthy be whatever weight you want 180 or 110 or whatever.

It's not just the stats alone.

It's the low stats, combined with the fact she has friends commenting that she needs to put on weight, all the while thinking she's still "fat".

Maybe she does, maybe she doesn't...but taking EVERYTHING into consideration, it's certainly something that needs to be explored. And it's certainly NOT condescending to suggest so.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Interestingly I have 3 sisters too, from 5'3 to 5'7 ...I have not the foggiest idea what they weigh :grinning:

I'll just leave this here shall I?
    Bmi-Chart-Man-Women-Ruler.jpg

• MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    So I'm currently 5'5" with a weight of 110 lbs and a BMI of 18.3. Is that healthy? Some of my friends are suggesting that I need to gain weight, but I very strongly disagree -- I still think I'm too big!

You're a teenager, your BMI is underweight which has a higher risk of health issues; your friends are suggesting you put on weight and yet you say you still think you are too big

Do you have the mental capacity to read that last line objectively and realise that kind of thinking is disordered and you may need to seek help?

She's just asking a question ! So many people are rude on this site. Don't say she is disordered if you haven't met her or seen a picture of her! Being so short and 110lbs sounds normal to me especially because your young. Ignore nasties xxxxxxxx

Go back and read the OP...her friends ask her to put on weight and she still thinks she's big. 5'5 is fairly average height, 110 is an underweight weight at that height. Going lower can put her even more at risk of serious health issues.

Some people (not necessarily the OP) seem to aspire to extreme levels of underweight on this board, why should that go unchallenged? This is not a pro-Ana site or similar, there are unfortunately many sites where the underweight are glorified. MFP is designed for healthy approaches to healthy weight loss and it's a great community to be part of
    She is exactly one pound underweight based on BMI...so I think you may be being a bit overly dramatic. It is quite possible that it is a healthy weight for her. Her friends may be asking her to put on weight because she really needs to. Or they may just be used to seeing her heavier. Or they may be heavier and consider heavier normal. We just don't know.

To question her mental capacity is a bit condescending to me. Not everybody who is thin has an eating disorder. And while she certainly should consider what her friends are saying, I don't think we can assume anything here. We don't have enough information.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    So I'm currently 5'5" with a weight of 110 lbs and a BMI of 18.3. Is that healthy? Some of my friends are suggesting that I need to gain weight, but I very strongly disagree -- I still think I'm too big!

You're a teenager, your BMI is underweight which has a higher risk of health issues; your friends are suggesting you put on weight and yet you say you still think you are too big

Do you have the mental capacity to read that last line objectively and realise that kind of thinking is disordered and you may need to seek help?

She's just asking a question ! So many people are rude on this site. Don't say she is disordered if you haven't met her or seen a picture of her! Being so short and 110lbs sounds normal to me especially because your young. Ignore nasties xxxxxxxx

Go back and read the OP...her friends ask her to put on weight and she still thinks she's big. 5'5 is fairly average height, 110 is an underweight weight at that height. Going lower can put her even more at risk of serious health issues.

Some people (not necessarily the OP) seem to aspire to extreme levels of underweight on this board, why should that go unchallenged? This is not a pro-Ana site or similar, there are unfortunately many sites where the underweight are glorified. MFP is designed for healthy approaches to healthy weight loss and it's a great community to be part of
    She is exactly one pound underweight based on BMI...so I think you may be being a bit overly dramatic. It is quite possible that it is a healthy weight for her. Her friends may be asking her to put on weight because she really needs to. Or they may just be used to seeing her heavier. Or they may be heavier and consider heavier normal. We just don't know.

To question her mental capacity is a bit condescending to me. Not everybody who is thin has an eating disorder. And while she certainly should consider what her friends are saying, I don't think we can assume anything here. We don't have enough information.

She says she thinks she's too big!
  • forestfamilies
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »

Thank you, that's all I've been saying this whole time.
  • Feelgood97
    Feelgood97 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My BMI is 22.4 :p
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    From age 14, when I grew into adult clothes, and up until I was age 36, I was 105 lbs, and I'm 5'4". So, no, I don't think you are too thin. I think you are at a good weight for your age and height.

However, when I was at that weight, I didn't think I was "too big." I thought I was thin. I thought I looked good, which I did.

So, while I see no problem with your weight, I see a problem with your thinking that you are too big. You look beautiful to me.
  • lydiarose9419
    Options
    njitaliana wrote: »
    From age 14, when I grew into adult clothes, and up until I was age 36, I was 105 lbs, and I'm 5'4". So, no, I don't think you are too thin. I think you are at a good weight for your age and height.

However, when I was at that weight, I didn't think I was "too big." I thought I was thin. I thought I looked good, which I did.

So, while I see no problem with your weight, I see a problem with your thinking that you are too big. You look beautiful to me.
    exactly :) I personally do not believe in bmi my friends bmi says she is obese and she is slim just has a large frame and my bmi says I am just in the underweight section which isn't true as I have some flab haha I think body fat percentage is much more reliable x

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

I would be more concerned about the body dysmorphia going on, than some generalized BMI number.
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options

OP my suggestion is, go see a doctor and discuss it with him/her. Your friends (and the people here) may have your best interest at heart but neither they, nor anybody on a thread like this (I'm making assumptions here) have the medical expertise to give you proper advice. If you need to pick up weight your Dr will tell you. Take that advice. Also if you are starting to lean towards an eating disorder, your Dr will tell you. Act on their advice.

If you are perfectly healthy, the put the issue to rest.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    BMI is not a great predictor of being overweight--especially for those of us who are tall, athletic or muscular. It is a pretty good predictor of being underweight.

I would suggest that you ask your doctor for an opinion. I think that you likely should not be losing any more weight--certainly not without getting a professional opinion first.
  • AngeloInTexas
    AngeloInTexas Posts: 52 Member
    Options

You are definitely not too big in my opinion. In fact I'd say you appear stat wise to be a very fit person at a good weight. More importantly how do you feel? Do you feel great? Maybe you need to change up nutrition more than lose weight at this stage? Good luck!