Women: Hot Flashes, mood swings & weight gain... not havin' it!

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Progressive Weight lifting

Lay down muscle, get strong, get fitter and check out the eye candy doing pull-ups ..I find it helps many an ill :smiley:
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    I'm 60 and on 7 years of hot flashes. I just read that they can last 14 yrs----sigh. I must admit that they are not as bad as before. I had hot flashes from hell--every hour for 5 min. Sometimes I think maybe I'm just used to them. quote]

Funny story about "just getting used to them" ~ I'll never forget standing in line at the grocery store when suddenly the woman in front of me turned around and just said "I'm sorry!" One of my things was flushing and turning bright red on my neck and chest before one hit! HAHAHA... Thankfully THAT hasn't happened for a long time............
  • aronao
    aronao Posts: 112 Member
    I had a surgical menopause last year - started HRT straight away to help prevent osteoporosis. I've not had any dramatic menopausal symptoms, although I tend to get warm at night, but think I have thickened out around the middle so am currently on an eating plan and weights program to help lose fat.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Have you looked into Macca Powder? Google it, there's plenty of info re; helping with hormones etc
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    I had awful mood swings and I mean murderous. Red mist rage for no reason. Once I figured out it was the menopause (not just my husband being annoying) I started taking a supplement called menopace which helped a lot. But I think the main thing that helps is recognising the cause of all those symptoms, which you have, and then trying different techniques and supplements until you find the balance that suits you. Good luck, it really does get better after a while.
  • sad_kitty
    sad_kitty Posts: 84 Member
    I did chemical menopause at 26 for 6 months with HRT (to treat endometriosis), and never did figure out a solution to hot flashes, but I did learn that natural fabrics are amazing, and bamboo-cotton blend bedsheets are your friend when you have hot flashes at night in bed (they wick sweat, breathe well and don't leave you feeling "sticky"). I did manage to lose weight then, because the fear of osteoporosis had me walking long distances and doing weight bearing exercises, so maybe that had something to do with it. I definitely noticed some of my fatty tissue areas shrunk for those 6 months (ie : my boobs and my butt).

I'm 37 now and just starting to probably go into perimenopause (that or the growths on my ovaries are messing with me) because I've started to have hot flashes again, intermitently. My mom said hers lasted about 15 years before they went away and started about when she was 40. I have no real suggestions other than to wear layers you can strip off as needed, and drinking cold water helps a bit. Also, I discovered that standing outside in shorts for a few moments at a time in the winter felt amazing during really bad hot flashes. I probably won't be using hormones unless my doctor recommends them at this point, but I'm very interested to know about the various creams and natural products out there for when I'm ready to go that route.
  • nowornever47
    nowornever47 Posts: 333 Member
    Wow, what interesting and humble stories, thanks so much everybody for sharing! I have not looked into macca powder or anything else yet, to be honest. I am going to take time to look into some of the ideas here for sure. I am nervous about hormone therapy too so I'll see what else I can do. And oh, I love edamame! I have also heard about magnesium... Thanks again!
  • nowornever47
    sad_kitty wrote: »
    I did chemical menopause at 26 for 6 months with HRT (to treat endometriosis), and never did figure out a solution to hot flashes, but I did learn that natural fabrics are amazing, and bamboo-cotton blend bedsheets are your friend when you have hot flashes at night in bed (they wick sweat, breathe well and don't leave you feeling "sticky"). I did manage to lose weight then, because the fear of osteoporosis had me walking long distances and doing weight bearing exercises, so maybe that had something to do with it. I definitely noticed some of my fatty tissue areas shrunk for those 6 months (ie : my boobs and my butt).

I'm 37 now and just starting to probably go into perimenopause (that or the growths on my ovaries are messing with me) because I've started to have hot flashes again, intermitently. My mom said hers lasted about 15 years before they went away and started about when she was 40. I have no real suggestions other than to wear layers you can strip off as needed, and drinking cold water helps a bit. Also, I discovered that standing outside in shorts for a few moments at a time in the winter felt amazing during really bad hot flashes. I probably won't be using hormones unless my doctor recommends them at this point, but I'm very interested to know about the various creams and natural products out there for when I'm ready to go that route.

I love the idea of the cotton bamboo sheets too!
  • nowornever47
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Oh! I forgot. A glass of cold water can stop a hot flash in it's tracks.

Hahaha~ almost forgot one of my friends did Ice packs in the armpits :D. She swore by it!

Too funny! I guess one has to do what works! ☺
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    I am turning 50 on Friday. :D

At the moment I am doing OK with the perimenopause thing.

My OBGYN wants me to take progesterone if my TOM has gone over 90 days. I had to have a D&C last yr due to having "issues".

I do feel so tired though. I really hate that part.

• socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    edited February 2015
    I went into peri-menopause at 38 and menopause at 40. My primary care doctor put me on hormone therapy. My gynocologist took me right off of the drugs and instead told me to try soy isoflavones. Thank goodness I had a gynecologist who looked beyond western medicine. I really feel the isoflavones helped with the hot flashes and some of the other symptoms of menopause. You can get it in capsule form at pharmacies and health food stores. I also bought a bunch of 100% cotton nightshirts and wore cotton shirts during that period. Synthetic fabrics made me sweat more.... http://www.webmd.com/menopause/guide/soy-for-menopause-symptoms-topic-overview
  • nowornever47
    I am turning 50 on Friday. :D

At the moment I am doing OK with the perimenopause thing.

My OBGYN wants me to take progesterone if my TOM has gone over 90 days. I had to have a D&C last yr due to having "issues".

I do feel so tired though. I really hate that part.

Well happy birthday, early! Yes, I guess it also goes with the territory...good luck to yo!
  • nowornever47
    socalkay wrote: »
    I went into peri-menopause at 38 and menopause at 40. My primary care doctor put me on hormone therapy. My gynocologist took me right off of the drugs and instead told me to try soy isoflavones. Thank goodness I had a gynecologist who looked beyond western medicine. I really feel the isoflavones helped with the hot flashes and some of the other symptoms of menopause. You can get it in capsule form at pharmacies and health food stores. I also bought a bunch of 100% cotton nightshirts and wore cotton shirts during that period. Synthetic fabrics made me sweat more.... http://www.webmd.com/menopause/guide/soy-for-menopause-symptoms-topic-overview

Very interesting, thanks for the info! Glad to see it helped you... I also agree with the synthetic fabrics! :)
  • rnjcb
    rnjcb Posts: 86 Member
    I am peri-menopausal (my mother was an early menopaouser at 50; I'm 47). Went to a GYN who put me on bio-identical hormones. Testoserone trouches in the morning and Progesterone drops on my wrists at night. I'm the exception I guess as I got NOTHING from this therapy (I stayed on this for a year and 1/2) even though tons of my friends found relieve from hot flashes, mood swings and lower libidos.
    Now I use melatonin at night to help sleep and really watch what I eat. Even though I'm not perfect, and cheat with chocolate, chips and such on occasion my body lets me know if I'm doing the right thing.
    I feel so much better when I eat better and that's been the best therapy for me! Oh, and daily exercise; something cardio, definitely gets the day off to a much better start.
  • amandarunning
    amandarunning Posts: 306 Member
    My hot flashes were becoming too intense and too frequent, particularly affecting my sleep. Started taking Black Cohosh about 3 months ago and after a few weeks the intensity and frequency reduced significantly. Now I barely have any.
  • I started menopause at the age of 26. It's called premature ovarian failure at that age, but it's the exact same thing. I tried for a long time to avoid HRT but I just couldn't take it anymore, and gave in. HRT was the only thing that made me feel normal again.
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    I'll be 52 in a couple months and have been post-menopausal for about 2 years now and have suffered from hot flashes for at least 3 years. I started MFP a little over a month ago and have noticed something: since eating mindfully and eating healthier and especially being mindful of my salt intake, I haven't had a single hot flash. I overdid it one night a couple weeks ago (went over by 2000 calories) and had a hot flash that night.

Tried the herbal supplement black cohosh when they first started and didn't really work for me, and I refuse to do HRT for various reason, and decided to just live with the hot flashes. But now that it seems that diet (for me) may be a key so it's just one more bonus from eating healthy.

It's thought that Asian women don't experience hot flashes due to the amount of soy they ingest (soy contains a type of plant estrogen), but soy products may not be suitable for everyone. I would suggest you talk to your gynecologist at length about your symptoms and family history.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Wicking PJ's are on my wish list.
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    I'm 47 and experiencing same thing. I was able to lose a few years ago with ease simply tracking and using MFP recommendations. Gained weight fast and steady last year without eating crazy... I've since returned to MFP logging faithfully for over 100 days, modified my diet - gluten free (had gone grain free for a while)... I've been tracking, being sure to stay active - but, my body is hoarding fat. I'm desperate. Had several friends who've experienced success with HCG diet. I need to lose at least 20 pounds to not feel bad. In order to return to to my ideal weight I should lose 30 pounds. Hopefully the HCG will at least jump start the process. I've read a lot and it is a major commitment. Eating only 800 calories a day for 6 weeks... Not sure how I'll do it... All the calories are nutrient packed. My doctor won't recommend hormone replacement because of the risks for breast cancer.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Prempro causes breast cancer, but there are other hormones that are safer to take, like estrace and prometrium.

If your doctor is telling you that HRT causes cancer, it's because they don't know the research. It is widely accepted that a fair amount of doctors aren't the best at nutrition advice. The same goes for HRT.

If someone is a type one diabetic, they need hormone (insulin) replacement or they will die. Lack of hormones in postmenapausal women also leads to cardiovascular disease, the number one cause of death for women.

I wouldn't automatically write HRT off, just because NAMS has made it taboo.