The only person in my household making a lifestyle change

Options
2»

Replies

• DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Kalici wrote: »
    My husband can eat whatever he wants and not gain any weight, but he was raised to think if someone went to the trouble of making you a hot dinner you either eat it or you fend for yourself. Although there are times (usually once or twice a month) when I make something I know he flat out does not like e.g. potato leek soup and I will make him something that I flat out hate e.g. bacon (special occasion all mine meals).

Did you say you hate bacon?
  • Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    My husband can eat whatever he wants and not gain any weight, but he was raised to think if someone went to the trouble of making you a hot dinner you either eat it or you fend for yourself. Although there are times (usually once or twice a month) when I make something I know he flat out does not like e.g. potato leek soup and I will make him something that I flat out hate e.g. bacon (special occasion all mine meals).

Did you say you hate bacon?

With the heat of a thousand suns. The smell alone turns my stomach.

• kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    You can still eat the pizza, just less of it, and lose the weight. You don't have to eat Chicken and Veggies.

And, you have to have enough "want and drive" to not crash and burn when things like this happen, because they will. Life is like that. My boyfriend isn't on "a lifestyle change", doesn't log his food and has "bad" things all over the place. I just don't eat them. Because I know what I have to do to get to my goal. IT's not about anyone else.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I just make one thing and give my hubby bigger portions, sometimes if he's hungry later he'll have a quick peanutbutter sammich. You shouldn't have to make two meals thats ridiculous if they want something unhealthy tell them go ahead there's the fryer. ;P

"You just need to lay down the law OP. Its your house, your rules. If the men don't like how the ship is sailing then they need to put up or move out.
    That's how my house is run. I tell my wife what we are going to have for dinner and if she doesn't want to cook it, she is welcome to make a second meal for herself."

Dude I was with you until you said it was your wife who cooks and you TELL HER to cook what you want or make herself a second meal FML poor lass! lol
  • Exquisitern
    Exquisitern Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I understand completely but you have to determine what is right for you. I have two 16 almost 17 year old girls, plus my adopted daughters, six nieces and nephews come over on Friday and Saturday nights. I cook for them whatever they want. Sometimes I eat a reasonable portion of what I cook for them and sometimes I make myself something healthy for me. I exercise and go to the gym at least 5 times a week, they don't. I want to be healthy and lose weight, they could care less. When I get them take out, I make myself a taco salad or salad with chicken or something else. I do eat when I want, I don't believe in depriving myself. I believe that is when we fail. If I go over calories, I try better the next day.
    I lose weight for me. While they can look at me and know that I've lost weight and I intend to keep trying to be healthy, they could care less. I'd like them to be healthier, but I feel it is a journey that each of has to take and take ownership of.
    It is a hard battle, but it is worth it! One of my motto's is "You only fail if you quit trying!!" Keep trying and you will be successful. This is a great site, keep coming back!

• exlibrissilvio
    exlibrissilvio Posts: 69 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Maybe it's just who I am...but I would tell my boyfriend and kid that they're getting ONE meal or they get nothing (or he can cook for himself). I understand you love him and all, but that's ridiculous. He's a grown man and could stand to be a bit healthier himself. And your daughter will grow to learn what you teach her. If you show her that it's okay to complain about the food that she is given, she will every single time, until she is REWARDED with the food that satisfies her. You're not simply making her food, you're reinforcing a behavior that she will continue.

In my house, I am the cook. I make one meal. If they don't want it, they fend for themselves. It's not my problem. I also don't have children, but like I said...she will be like that if you allow her to be and follow your example.
  • MissyK222
    MissyK222 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    First of all you are gorgeous secondly I feel ya ! I'm a mom to a 4 yr old and 8 mo old, I work full time and go to school... I'm in the same boat with my husband but you know since he has seen me get results and sees how great I feel it has encouraged him to eat better as well (not like me but still better) so maybe it will leak on to them. Trying to find motivation when you live with others who don't live that lifestyle is hard but just remember you are doing it for your little girl! :-) Feel free to add me. :-)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    ....but he was raised to think if someone went to the trouble of making you a hot dinner you either eat it or you fend for yourself. Although there are times (usually once or twice a month) when I make something I know he flat out does not like e.g. potato leek soup and I will make him something that I flat out hate e.g. bacon (special occasion all mine meals).
    Yes, my hubby has it pretty good. He made sure when we were splitting chores that he didn't end up with cooking. He claims incompetence. So he doesn't complain and eats what I make. If he doesn't like something I've made he breaks out the canned beans.

He's sneaky though. He'll try and sniff out what night is fish night or if I am soaking beans and will make an excuse to eat out. Tit for tat. I've made breaded and fried "chicken" that was Cod. He caught on halfway through dinner. I also keep fixings around to make home-made pizza (thin crust, low-fat cheese). He tried to tempt me with take-out this past week and I pulled out the fixings from the freezer instead.

• Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    ....but he was raised to think if someone went to the trouble of making you a hot dinner you either eat it or you fend for yourself. Although there are times (usually once or twice a month) when I make something I know he flat out does not like e.g. potato leek soup and I will make him something that I flat out hate e.g. bacon (special occasion all mine meals).
    Yes, my hubby has it pretty good. He made sure when we were splitting chores that he didn't end up with cooking. He claims incompetence. So he doesn't complain and eats what I make. If he doesn't like something I've made he breaks out the canned beans.

He's sneaky though. He'll try and sniff out what night is fish night or if I am soaking beans and will make an excuse to eat out. Tit for tat. I've made breaded and fried "chicken" that was Cod. He caught on halfway through dinner. I also keep fixings around to make home-made pizza (thin crust, low-fat cheese). He tried to tempt me with take-out this past week and I pulled out the fixings from the freezer instead.

The chore splitting works in my favor for this one though. I do all the cooking, but he gets all the dishes and I really hate washing dishes.

I lol'ed about the breaded cod, that is pretty awesome.

• leeannemoran789
    Options
    I am in the exact same boat. Even at work I'm the only one dieting. Sometimes really hard to stay motivated.
  • drainqueen
    drainqueen Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm a stay at home mom. I also prepare multiple meals. I hope to one day be able to alter the meals into more healthy options but for now I'm stuck. If I have them fend for themselves they eat pizza rolls, ramen noodles, frozen burritos stuff I don't want my kids eating every day. At least when I cook them dinner they're getting unprocessed foods. I can't get my family to eat vegetables. But atleast they are eating the fruits and some of my healthier options. Having the healthy options available intrigues them to start changing. Might I add my husband and kids are thin, healthy and active. My husband eats ice cream every night or two bowls of sugary cereals. I eat fruit.
  • cschu544
    cschu544 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I personally, and I know I am going to get the boo-hiss from others, never have cut anything out of my diet completely. I don't even believe in that word diet because I think it leads to binging. I am a portion control and exercise kind of gal. Sometimes we just want to eat a cookie. And there's nothing wrong with that, just don't eat the whole bag. Maybe you can start there with your husband. Start by limiting his unhealthy behavior. Ok- last night we had 2 slices of pie and a scoop of ice cream. How about we do frozen yogurt and only one slice? Sometimes people need a slower introduction to this lifestyle. Many people fear giving up their guilty pleasure, like dieting is going to rob them of some hidden happiness. So they never truly learn or understand. Look at this as an opportunity to lead and teach by example-- show them that it simply can be done. :)
  • S_Evanson613
    S_Evanson613 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    cschu544 wrote: »
    I personally, and I know I am going to get the boo-hiss from others, never have cut anything out of my diet completely. I don't even believe in that word diet because I think it leads to binging. I am a portion control and exercise kind of gal. Sometimes we just want to eat a cookie. And there's nothing wrong with that, just don't eat the whole bag. Maybe you can start there with your husband. Start by limiting his unhealthy behavior. Ok- last night we had 2 slices of pie and a scoop of ice cream. How about we do frozen yogurt and only one slice? Sometimes people need a slower introduction to this lifestyle. Many people fear giving up their guilty pleasure, like dieting is going to rob them of some hidden happiness. So they never truly learn or understand. Look at this as an opportunity to lead and teach by example-- show them that it simply can be done. :)

This is a really good idea! I do the same, for the most part. When I am craving something - I eat it, but in a smaller portion! Thanks for the tips for him, I never thought to introduce it like that!
  • S_Evanson613
    S_Evanson613 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    It's been so great reading everyone's comments, and although I will not be going to the extreme of some of the suggestions (like kicking him to the curb), I have gotten a lot of wonderful feedback that I will be incorporating into our every day lives.

One thing I didn't point out well in my original post was that my daughter is not that picky of an eater. She loves all her fruits and veggies so she eats any of those that I cook (I just don't steam her veggies because she would rather them be raw). She doesn't like meat...like at all...not with ranch or any other dip. I just can't get the kid to eat it. So we settle for other ways for her to get her protein in - but in general she eats what ever is on the table!
  • laurahickman14
    laurahickman14 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    One step at a time - looking to make more friends and share lots of motivation and tips with you all - the more friends the happier!