Oatmeal Makes me Hungry

Options

Replies

• Soggynode
    Soggynode Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Same for me... I love oatmeal but plain oatmeal just won't get me all the way to lunch. If I add a little protein and fat I'm good until noon. I'm on a smoothie kick right now so I've been adding cold cooked oatmeal and protein powder to my morning smoothies to add a little body.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way... even if I add some nut butter. But it's hard to find a breakfast that holds me over for more than 3 hours, unless I eat 600 calories or more...
  • jennylynn_1983
    jennylynn_1983 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the responses! Yes I eat one packet (I actually make my own packets!), about 160 calories. I will try all of these suggestions. The interesting thing is, I'm less hungry if I skip breakfast altogether, which I rarely do anymore. The egg sounds interesting, I will try that as well!
  • bababs89
    bababs89 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I like to add ground flaxseed to my oatmeal which makes me feel fuller longer. Regardless of what I have for breakfast, I almost always end up needing a small morning snack.
  • kvtribblestrong
    Options
    I've been eating old fashioned regular or thick rolled oats, no sugar or added stuff except almond milk religiously for lunch-about 450 calories worth, daily for a little over 15 years, with no problem. At 56 and headed into menopause (sorry if this is tmi), I find that I am MORE hungry after the oatmeal and could probably easily double that above amount without blinking an eye (I have and with NO gastric distress). I'm a healthy 5'5" 118 pounds, but I think hormones/blood sugar changes are contributing to this crazy craving.
    Going to (sadly) give oatmeal a rest for a couple of weeks, and see if this changes things.
    Bodies and chemistry can change over time...
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    lessofme43 wrote: »
    same...I never understand when people say it's a good solid breakfast :neutral_face:

Agreed. Never understood why people spent so much time farting around with oatmeal.
  • nutritionenthusiast
    Options
    I make my oats with non fat greek yoghurt and leave it to soak overnight - very filling. I still have a snack mid-morning though... I eat like every 2.5 hours. I like food too much so I split it throughout the day :)
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I find that eating a lot if fiber keeps me full longer. I have been eating fiber one cereal the past several days and it keeps the hunger churns at bay all morning
  • areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I eat steel cut, and and I feel quite hungry by 10. I feel less hungry with protein, but I usually have a small snack at 10. Like a couple of bites of the sandwich I brought for lunch.
  • teralynn82
    teralynn82 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have oatmeal for breakfast almost every morning. Oatmeal (1/2 cup rolled oats, cooked with water) - then add some milk, chopped dates and almonds, fruit (usually apple and/or strawberries). It's delicious and keeps me full for quite some time.
  • Anniepi66
    Anniepi66 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    You need more fat and protein. Or you need more oatmeal. If I eat the listed serving size, I get hungry, too. But eating a double serving seems to do the trick. Plus I eat a banana or other fruit. Eating a double portion of oatmeal will even allow me to go five or six hours without eating. And I then eat a small lunch, an afternoon snack of 100 calories and still have plenty of calories left for dinner and sometimes an evening snack. I usually eat Greek yogurt and fruit and walnuts for breakfast. Always keeps me full until lunch. I like to eat a two-egg omelet with tomatoes, onion, peppers, a bit of ham and cheese. No more food except a snack mid-afternoon until dinner.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Many have said this but I will add it again. Add some walnuts, pecans or almonds to the mix for protein which will keep you full longer and try steel cut oatmeal. If you have a rice cooker, it is easy to make and you make enough for a few days. Also, if you are getting hungry by 10, have a snack but keep it in your macros. A hard boiled egg and a piece of fruit or an English muffin with peanut butter will sustain you until lunch.
  • chris041102
    chris041102 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal never fills me up even though I use whole oats :-(. My go to breakfast food that really keeps me full is the Jimmy Dean light breakfast bowls ( you can find them in the breakfast frozen section at the market). Love them! Turkey sausage, potatoes, cheese, egg whites. I also add bottled Green Chile salsa to add some extra flavor.
  • mvexplorer
    mvexplorer Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the responses! Yes I eat one packet (I actually make my own packets!), about 160 calories. I will try all of these suggestions. The interesting thing is, I'm less hungry if I skip breakfast altogether, which I rarely do anymore. The egg sounds interesting, I will try that as well!

160 calories is more of a snack than a meal even at a 1200 calorie/day level. You definitely need to eat something with the oatmeal to stay full longer. I know I can't eat just oatmeal or I am starving in a few hours because it is all carbs and very little protien and fat.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    oatmeal will only be part of my breakfast. I'll have it, and some egg whites with salsa and then maybe a couple slices of low sodium bacon and coffee. I love breakfast!
  • penneysfit
    penneysfit Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal but admit I get hungry soon afterwards. I will try the peanut butter approach :) I don't like protein powder in my oatmeal.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal. I find it sustaining. I looked at my breakfast with the longest staying power this week and it was about 400 calories. I had my oatmeal with currants and Greek yogurt with a side of pumpernickel bread spread with light Philadelphia cream cheese. It would have lasted me to noon if I wasn't such a habitual snacker.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I love oatmeal. I find it sustaining. I looked at my breakfast with the longest staying power this week and it was about 400 calories. I had my oatmeal with currants and Greek yogurt with a side of pumpernickel bread spread with light Philadelphia cream cheese. It would have lasted me to noon if I wasn't such a habitual snacker.

How do you mix Greek yogurt in oatmeal? I tried once and it ended up dissolving so much from the heat that it was very disappointing.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal every morning for breakfast although I do have two egg whites (I hate the yolks) along with it and some toast and jam. I have a snack around 10:30ish. I am a grazer so I really like to snack. My morning snack is typically an apple. Then again I eat lunch at 12 and have my snack around 3:30-4:00ish (time to settle before I go to the gym).

I think what is important is to find what works for you. That took a lot of trial and error on my part.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I mix high fiber oat bran with protien powder and cinnamon. i usually eat around 9 and i am full till 1:30-2ish