Anyone besides me?

Options
I have a problem when I binge. I'm good when I refuse foods I know I shouldn't eat but when I do eat them I eat WAY too much. For example, I ate 5 fudge rounds this weekend. Does anyone else have this problem? If so, how do you fight it?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    There are no foods, you "shouldn't eat". Try pre logging your days, to include a treat and keep it at that.
  • JeremyCegers
    JeremyCegers Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • AviBeFit
    AviBeFit Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    There are no foods, you "shouldn't eat". Try pre logging your days, to include a treat and keep it at that.

Agreed. I've found prepping and pre logging helpful. Definitely helps keep things in perspective and me in check. I would also suggest that you drink a lot of water before you eat any foods that may cause you to binge. The water will fill you up leaving little room for binging.

Good luck! You got this :)
  • slondro
    slondro Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi Jeremy, I definitely have that same problem. Once I start eating something that feels "bad," it's really easy to go overboard.

I'm still not 100% sure how to prevent it, but at least in my case, I think I was eating at too much of a deficit. I'd be fine for a few days, then just go crazy on sweets or fattening foods. Starting with MFP, I'm realizing my body probably needs more calories and a lot more fat in my diet!

Maybe it's the same for you? Your body could be running on empty and going into overdrive whenever it gets the chance for some quick carbs.
  • JeremyCegers
    Options
    Binging sneaks up on me. I have no clue when its coming but a strong hunger comes and I don't want anything that is low in calories. I will do crazy stuff like order a large pizza and its just me. When I'm binging, water is not allowed either lol it seems horrible the more I type
  • JeremyCegers
    Options
    That is a definite possibility. I burn a lot of calories when I work out and only feel satisfaction once I binge. Its like once a month at times.
  • slondro
    slondro Posts: 45 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Dude, that is so close to how I feel when I binge. For months, I was looking into ways to prevent binges, like ignoring the urge. But at that moment, the thought of ignoring it makes me feel empty and tired. Then recently I read an enlightening blog entry here. I've started to think maybe it really is just my body telling me it needs something.

Like I said, I'm still not completely in the clear. I'm doing my best to see food--even carb-heavy and fattening food--as fuel my body needs instead of a barrier to losing weight. I'm confident if I can go forward with that mindset and eat balanced meals, I can take more control.

Just know you're not alone in this!
  • JeremyCegers
    Options
    I appreciate all of the input and it is comforting to know its not just me. I feel like I'm committing a crime or something for eating food.

In the past, I would make late night runs to McDonald's and spend $10, on the DOLLAR MENU. I'm past that but it feels the same when I binge. I'm going to read the article. Hopefully I can get over this or accept it.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I have a problem when I binge. I'm good when I refuse foods I know I shouldn't eat but when I do eat them I eat WAY too much. For example, I ate 5 fudge rounds this weekend. Does anyone else have this problem? If so, how do you fight it?

Start by thinking of (food as food). B)
    It is not bad or good.
    It is the choices we make that are imperfect.
    Are you eating back some of your calories from your workouts?

Focus on the successful choices you make everyday. Think of yourself as a hero because you have already put in a lot of work. (*) :)

• Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

This works for me as well. That way when I walk pat 7 hotdog stands and street cafe's on the way to gym I know I cant buy anything otherwise I cant have supper. I cant live without supper lol
    Binging sneaks up on me. I have no clue when its coming but a strong hunger comes and I don't want anything that is low in calories. I will do crazy stuff like order a large pizza and its just me. When I'm binging, water is not allowed either lol it seems horrible the more I type

Friday is my danger day so I need to be extra careful. I get home hungry, decide to have a small snack and then cant stop myself. Saturday is then spent workin off Friday's binge lol
  • JeremyCegers
    Options
    RodaRose it just happens. I don't intend to eat a lot, but it ends up like that. The 5 fudge rounds, I got up 5 times to get them. The workouts may play a part in it but its not frequent enough for me to determine that.

I like how you shift the negativity in your wording. Very positive and easier to accept. :)
  • JeremyCegers
    Options
    Morgaen73 wrote: »

This works for me as well. That way when I walk pat 7 hotdog stands and street cafe's on the way to gym I know I cant buy anything otherwise I cant have supper. I cant live without supper lol

Friday is my danger day so I need to be extra careful. I get home hungry, decide to have a small snack and then cant stop myself. Saturday is then spent workin off Friday's binge lol

I can try to pre-plan things but I'm not sure if it will help me. I usually don't care much about calories or things when it hits. I hope it works. I can relate to working off binges too lol
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I chew lots and lots of sugarless gum. But sometimes if I am overwhelmed by the urge to eat chocolate - I will get one dark chocolate dove mint swirl out and unwrap it; making myself a perfect cup of dark roasted coffee and then savor that one piece. I eat it slowly and log it. Then I go brush my teeth so the taste is gone and it helps me not want more.
  • E_Goldfish
    E_Goldfish Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have similar issues. I refer to it as being "Hangry". I'm hungry, and I'm gonna eat this donut and goodness help anyone that tries to stop me, cause it's going to get ugly. I feel stupid afterwards, but sated. Sadly, I don't have any advice, but I wanted to let you know you're not alone in that feeling. I'm going to take notes on stuff that people tell you, too. :smile:
  • JeremyCegers
    Options
    I chew lots and lots of sugarless gum. But sometimes if I am overwhelmed by the urge to eat chocolate - I will get one dark chocolate dove mint swirl out and unwrap it; making myself a perfect cup of dark roasted coffee and then savor that one piece. I eat it slowly and log it. Then I go brush my teeth so the taste is gone and it helps me not want more.

I wish I had the control to stop at 1 of something. I have heard that brushing teeth helps too but it didn't help me.

I have noticed that most binges happen late at night for me. I have actually waken up from sleep to eat.
  • JeremyCegers
    Options
    E_Goldfish wrote: »
    I have similar issues. I refer to it as being "Hangry". I'm hungry, and I'm gonna eat this donut and goodness help anyone that tries to stop me, cause it's going to get ugly. I feel stupid afterwards, but sated. Sadly, I don't have any advice, but I wanted to let you know you're not alone in that feeling. I'm going to take notes on stuff that people tell you, too. :smile:

This is equally important as the advice to me. I appreciate you.
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

I can try to pre-plan things but I'm not sure if it will help me. I usually don't care much about calories or things when it hits. I hope it works. I can relate to working off binges too lol

Dude I fully understand what you mean. What helps me as well is to set a target weight for Monday morning so I guilt myself on Friday evening lol If all else fails, work it off the next day. It's taken me 20 months to lose 70 pounds but I am comfortable with losing slowly. If you cant prevent it, try your best to limit it and then do damage control.
  • JeremyCegers
    Options

Dude I fully understand what you mean. What helps me as well is to set a target weight for Monday morning so I quilt myself on Friday evening lol If all lese fails, work it off the next day. It's taken me 20 months to lose 70 pounds but I am comfortable with losing slowly. If you cant prevent it, try your best to limit it and then do damage control.

Congratulations on your progress. I hope I can do your numbers
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I've never been a binger, so I have no insight for you...but what is a fudge round?
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I ate a whole package of girl scout lemonade..there shortbread w lemon glaze so yummy! I think it's because I'm increasing my mileage so I'm hungrier. Maybe you need to eat more? I'm increasing my egg and creamer potatoe consumption. They both fill me up faster and have more staying power. Try to figure out what foods are lower in calories and keep you full longer. That should help.