Help!

Options
it seems I can't get through a week without some sort of event which means I have to have a relaxed day and I continue to track so I know I'm never over about 1700 calories even then, but with these days, I find I'm gaining about 1lb, on my tracking days I struggle to get up to 1000 calories, is it possible that too few calories are hampering my efforts and then my body clings onto anything extra? Really could do with some help x

Replies

• Nickers5405
    Nickers5405 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Other factors can influence your weight and cause you to retain extra water etc.

If you wanna add me I can try and help you out.

• clarejoan1982
    clarejoan1982 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm drinking over 2l of water a day... I don't know, it's not as easy as it used to be and I'm not even eating chocolate!! Have added you. Thanks for the reply! Xx
  • jennbo83
    jennbo83 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    If you are not eating enough calories your body will go into starvation mode. Be sure to eat all of your calories if your calorie goal is only 1,000.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is the least recommended for a sedentary woman, and that has more to do with making sure you're getting good nutrition. The lower your calories are the harder it tends to be to get in all of your vitamins and minerals.

The lack of weight loss could be a variety of factors, but, especially with a relaxed day every week, it's unlikely to be caused by eating too little. It could be water weight fluctuations (these tend to be drastic when you cut your calories low and then spike them again), TOM, sodium, stress, or you could be eating more than you realize. It's pretty common for us to underestimate how much we're eating, even when we're being very careful to weigh all of our foods and log everything down to the oil in the pan.

If you continue to struggle to get 1000 calories, then calorie dense foods can be helpful. This is a generic list and it's definitely not comprehensive, but anything here can be included in a balanced diet (as long as there are no allergies, medical conditions, obviously):
    avocado
    cheese
    full fat dairy
    Greek yogurt
    ice cream
    peanut butter (or other nut butters)
    dark chocolate
    less lean cuts of meat (including beef, pork, sausage, etc.)
    seeds (chia, flax, sunflower, etc.)
    nuts
    olive oil
    coconut oil
    butter
    beans and lentils
    protein shakes, bars, and smoothies
    hummus
    beef jerky
    cornbread
    tuna
    full calorie condiments
    full calorie sauces & dressings
    sour cream
    guacamole
    whole grain pasta
    rice
    bacon
    whole eggs
    quinoa
    fruit and fruit juices
    pretzels
    bananas
    scones
    muffins (bran, blueberry, banana nut, etc.)
    potatoes (sweet, red, gold, purple, white, etc.)
    dried fruit (raisins, apricots, plums, dates, etc.)
    granola
    coconut
    salmon
    edamame
    honey
    molasses
  • clarejoan1982
    clarejoan1982 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. All advice gratefully received. When I have these days- they're not total days, I mean I may allow myself to have a dessert but it doesn't mean I'm having a whole day of pigging out in chocolate and junk food. Part of my problem is that I have a past history of eating disorders so I really have to make sure I'm not tipping myself over the edge. I'm 5ft 11in and 66kg so I know I'm in the healthy bmi range but somehow it's not enough.