Can someone explain a cheat day

Options
My understanding is one day a week or month you just eat what you want as In not count calories etc.

From the sounds of it this seems like a gateway to undoing all your weeks work.

Are you meant to just relax a bit and maybe eat to maintenance or a bit over? Or is a cheat day all about eating as much as you like and not feeling guilt or remorse?

Say on a normal day your eating 1300 and maintence is 1800. On a cheat day would you tend to eat 1800ish or 2500+

For me a cheat day, going over would be like undoing the past 2-4 days of eating less/exercise.

I would prefer to lose an extra chunk of fat than eat enough to undo the previous day's work.

Seems like cheat days are popular but just reminds me of the song that goes one step forward two steps back you don't get very far like that.

Or maybe I just misunderstand what a cheat day is.

Replies

• Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    There's a ton of info here about cheat days and everyone has a different opinion. You just have to find what works for you.

I don't have cheat days. I eat what I want, every day.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    You are framing the question wrong. Given a choice between losing more fat or undoing progress, everyone would obviously choose to lose fat.

Given the more realistic choice between quitting a rigid diet permanently or simply forgetting the diet temporarily, the net benefit is in the temporary lapse.
  • rajitabanerjee
    Options
    Well, I like having a cheat meal once in a while. Like a pastry or a bar of chocolate in every four days, while keeping up with my calorie goal.
    That way, the wait isn't too long. Sometimes, I do end up consuming around 200-300 kcal extra, but it isn't that harmful.
  • ZDLux
    ZDLux Posts: 1
    Options
    I agree with Zedeff... it's a way to stick with it for the long run. I've been doing it for a long time, and it's working for me. Just don't go overboard... and make it a cheat MEAL not a day. And never diet... diets fail. Make sure what you're doing is a lifestyle change, and that way you won't fail. Good luck.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Zedeff wrote: »
    You are framing the question wrong. Given a choice between losing more fat or undoing progress, everyone would obviously choose to lose fat.

Given the more realistic choice between quitting a rigid diet permanently or simply forgetting the diet temporarily, the net benefit is in the temporary lapse.

For me if I have a planned cheat day then it is part of the diet, not a lapse. So I think my question is correct.

You plan to have a cheat day where, from what I heard here and other places, you could eat a lot of calories and essentially eliminate a few days or a weeks deficit.

So I still see it as a choice between weight loss and reversing progress.

I can understand if you were in the verge of quitting your diet all together taking a break would make sense, but not a planned break every week or month.

But again maybe I don't understand exactly what a cheat day is.

• Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. I think that a planned, recurring, calorie-unlimited cheat day is silly. It's a sign to me of poor commitment; you are basically bribing yourself.

When I cheat, I don't think I've ever exceeded maintenence +500. That's not really a catastrophe, and it essentially allows me to eat anything at all I could crave.
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    If I had a day where I didn't log and ate whatever I wanted, it would have to be like once every month or so otherwise it would definitely impact my weight loss. I'm 130 or so lbs but can eat a LOT if I'm not careful!

Other than I don't really plan cheat days (unplanned is a different story) though I might have days like this friday when I know I'm going out to dinner so I save up calories throughout the week. I incorporate treats and food I like on a daily basis too.
  • monikker
    monikker Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I think it's kinda like treating yourself or allowing yourself to have something because you want to and not because it fits in your diet 100%. But it doesn't have to be a whole meal...like, because of my workout this morning and not eating until 1:00 I had about 200-300 calories uneaten...so I just had half a cookie. And I'm going to bed next so unless I got my calorie count wrong I should still be in a deficit. Then again, I'm not cutting calories for very long or trying to lose much weight so it's not as big of a deal to me but I'm still trying to stay with my diet plan most of the time. It seems like "cheating" is what you make of it and what you want to do.
  • monikker
    monikker Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    **those are really big cookies though so having part of one wasn't just a bite lol
  • starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I have mine once a month. My last one was yesterday and my next is easter. I could never do it once a week because I always go all out and enjoy everything. I plan my cheat days months in advance now and I won't break the plans for anything.
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I sometimes have a cheat 'meal' and sometimes if it's an occasion I have a cheat 'day'.
    A cheat meal could easily be something that fits in with your calories but doesn't fit at all with your macros.
    Then again it can easily be a meal that takes you 500+ over your usual daily calories.
    I know that mine sometimes do!!

A cheat day is just that, a day that you 'let your hair down' and enjoy the foods you love without worrying about being too accurate with logging. That would be my definition.

Not everybody likes cheat days, some people prefer to just fit a little of what they enjoy in each day. Although I do have things I enjoy each day, things such as pizza I prefer to keep as a 'treat'. something I don't have all too often. On these occasions I personally have no qualms with polishing off a dominos pizza, etc.

This is a life long lifestyle commitment for me and if I coudln't just have days to let myself have the things I want, when I want.. I don't think it would be sustainable. When I want pizza, I like to be able to indulge. I'm perfectly happy to eat 'clean' (insert vague definition here) for the remaining 2 weeks until my next treat.

This said, when I'm 'cutting' I tend to have less treat days. It all depends on individual lifestyle.

I do a LOT of exercise and I believe myself to be in fairly good shape, so whatever I'm doing is obviously working well for my body.

With regards to two steps forward, one step back.. Not at all, going 500 or even 1000 calories over, once a fortnight isn't going to make an immense amount of difference to your overall progress and for some people, the small 'set back' enables them to keep on going with the lifestyle when otherwise they may have relapsed.

Have an awesome day!

Adam
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    A ketogenic diet (or...lifestyle change...that allows me to eat bacon all day) provides no cheat days. A true ketogenic state yields no cheat meals because there are already heavy food restrictions, and with good reason. Carbs are reduced to almost nil, and if I splurge on something with loads of carbs, it will kick me out of ketosis. I am not as sensitive as others with carbs, but if I eat too much, the previous sentence holds true.

Of course, when bacon, cheese, butter, eggs, and avocado are the five main things I eat everyday...who needs a cheat day? I actually dont even care for sweets when in a ketogenic state. How fast I can run each week is my sugar!
  • dinosaurparty
    dinosaurparty Posts: 185 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Zedeff wrote: »

For me if I have a planned cheat day then it is part of the diet, not a lapse. So I think my question is correct.

You plan to have a cheat day where, from what I heard here and other places, you could eat a lot of calories and essentially eliminate a few days or a weeks deficit.

So I still see it as a choice between weight loss and reversing progress.

I can understand if you were in the verge of quitting your diet all together taking a break would make sense, but not a planned break every week or month.

But again maybe I don't understand exactly what a cheat day is.

I think that's on the extreme end of things. Unless you're dieting for medical reasons are are risking your health if you have a bad day, they're not necessarily a bad thing to have every once in a while.

Like tomorrow, I'm going to go to my mom's house and stuff my face with her cooking, because it's awesome and I haven't seen her in ages, and she'd be sad if I just sat there and ate salad like I have for the last three days. It's probably going to be stew or something, so I can't really log it very well. Rather than feel bad, I'm going to work out and have a small lunch to minimize the calories I'll eat that day, and not really worry too much about it. Then it's back on the wagon. I like to plan mine around events where I'm probably going to have a hard time sticking to my 1200cal/day goal, so I don't feel like I'm missing out. I don't have very many cheat days because of this.

Odds are tomorrow I probably won't put myself over maintenance. If you're having cheat days every week and eating 4000 calories worth of doughnuts then yeah, you should probably reconsider, but for most people a cheat day isn't about going crazy and ruining all their hard work. It's just something to look forward to, like a reward for staying on track.

I think that taking a diet too seriously, and not allowing yourself a treat now and then can be just as bad as allowing yourself too many treats.
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    My cheat day is date night because we go out and it's usually to a local restaurant so I'm not sure how many calories are in each dish. It's more of a non-logging day than a real cheat day because I'm just not sure how to log it! It helps me stick to my long term goals though because I still get to go out, enjoy a night with my husband, and not worry about the diet that day
  • disneygirl626
    disneygirl626 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I don't really do cheat days per say but if I'm at a special thing, ie a rare dinner with old friends I will happily go over my calories and not stress. I've done it a couple times and gone about 500 calories over my mfp recommended calories - still 500 calories under maintenance since I eat at 1000 defecit.

I don't think cheat days are usually extreme enough to be a setback. I think most people view it as a day to relax and maybe eat at maintenance or a little more. Most of us here are in this for a long haul, so one day of not being perfect is not devastating and being able to relax occasionally makes this lifestyle change we've all chosen a little bit easier.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Personally, for me, I think the need to "cheat" is a bad sign for long term maintenance, it means that I haven't worked out how to be happy and satisfied with my general food choices across the week...I watch my calories on a rolling 7 days so for example this morning when I woke up my total calorie allowance is 2700 roughly ...which is my net goal for the day plus extras calories not eaten in the last 7 days ...eg I started today with an extra 1000 calories to use if I want ...or save for a night out later in the week

So I save up calories for nights out and special events ..but I don't think of it as a cheat ...I will still try to be careful and estimate calories to log them even on nights out
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I have definite days set aside as cheat days and those are: Mothers Day, 4th of July, Halloween, Thanksgiving, New Years Eve and the Superbowl. There might be other cheat days that pop up throughout the year, but those are the six I plan for. Aside from Mothers Day (we go out to my mom's favorite restaurant), the other five occasions are when everyone gets together, makes a ton of food and desserts and we all have a merry old time. I'm committed to a healthy life but no way am I not partaking in all that delicious food on those days.

I also agree with the philosophy that letting your hair down a handful of times a year is beneficial. I get the idea of having a small treat say everyday or a few times a week and you won't need a cheat day/meal, but for me, those days when I can just let go are like gold and I don't feel as though they do anything but help my healthy lifestyle. I eat enormous amounts of calories on those days and the next day...I'm right back on the wagon and feeling pretty good.
  • Lissa_Kaye
    Lissa_Kaye Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I don't do cheat days because I feel it is going against the very thing I am striving for, getting healthy. I treat myself just a bit everyday. I may go over a little on special occasions
    and holidays.
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    It's true that if you pig out all weekend, it can ruin your calorie deficit for the week. Which means no weight loss that week. But going over your goal a little bit from time to time isn't going to kill your diet. It helps if "save" up a few calories throughout the week.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    For myself I don't really do cheat days. There are certain days like Thanksgiving, Christmas, my anniversary next month where I'm deliberately increasing my daily calories to maintanece plus exercise calories (though so far I haven't needed the exercise calories to stay on goal). If I have something else planned (like Saturday night hubby and I went to a nhl stadium series game and went out to dinner) I made sure to get my gym time in and we walked a lot that night, so using my exercise calories kept me on goal. I'm not going to undue all my hard work by rewarding that hard work with a day to pig out and not log