People keep telling me either to stop losing weight or that I'm too skinny!

Options

Replies

• Annanna91
    Annanna91 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    There's always going to be people who criticise. I know because I'm often subjected to such comments myself. Yes I am quite small, 5'5 and 117lbs, but whilst I feel great in myself I've recieved many harsh words.

If you feel good then ignore those who criticise. At the end of the day it's your body and decisions, not theirs.
  • jazzy550
    jazzy550 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I would ask if they would talk to an overweight person that way! It is just as insulting to tell someone they look awful thin as it is to tell someone they are fat!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and working on 130 as well. Congrats to you...it took my 9 months to lose 27 pounds :(

Anyway, people tell me to stop as well. I have a good head on my shoulders and know what I'm doing though (though my goal changes all the time!). A friend of mine who is the same height and 10 pounds less told me to stop and I literally said "Why? Can I not be as thin as you?" That kind of made her see the light.
  • beachbum4044
    beachbum4044 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Way to go! That is a great accomplishment. I am also 5' 4". My goal right now is 145-150. My doctor mentioned 138 as a good weight, but I don't think it is maintainable. I want to get to my first goal, see how I feel and then move on from there.

As to what others say, if you can say nothing. If you can't, then feel free to tell them you will address their concerns with a medical professional. You are on a journey for your health, your life, not theirs. Keep going and enjoy your journey!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You have done so well. Tell them whatever you want because you OWN this rodeo. :kiss:
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    You're in America. We're not used to seeing lean people. Just stop talking to family about it, smile if they bring it up, thank them politely for their concern, and be on your merry way.
  • kmorgan221
    kmorgan221 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Say, "That's really funny, I was just thinking you could stand to lose a few pounds."

When they're insulted, ask them why they didn't think what they said was insulting.

Congrats on all your hard work.
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    kmorgan221 wrote: »
    Say, "That's really funny, I was just thinking you could stand to lose a few pounds."

When they're insulted, ask them why they didn't think what they said was insulting.

Congrats on all your hard work.

I am too chicken to do this, but I love it.
  • TerryKes
    TerryKes Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Your responses are great, smart, and some just freaking funny! Thank you so much. Just reading these have helped me feel supported and stronger. I'm going to use some of them. You're great, thanks!
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    "You've lost too much weight!"

Neutral Responses:
    "Yeah, I have lost a lot of weight, but I'm done now."
    "Oh? I feel really healthy."
    "My doctor worked with me to determine a healthy weight."
    "Oh? Thank you for being worried about me, but I did this the healthy way."

Telling People how it is:
    "It makes me uncomfortable when you comment about my weight."
    "My weight isn't your business."
    "Would you like me to tell you my opinion about your weight?"
    "Oh, I'm so glad you have an opinion about my weight."
    "Do you like it when people comment on your weight?"
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    There is a point I've noticed in everyone's weight loss where your body and skin hasn't yet caught up and for a while we all have that look of almost sick. That might be what these people are seeing, for me it took about 3-4 months to snap out of it and I actually lost a bit more weight during that time so I'm about 15 pounds lighter than when everyone told me I wasn't looking healthy. I see it in pictures too if I look back but now I get nothing but you look great, fit, healthy and happy so hang in there, it could just be temporary.

You could also have run into the jealous group, those exist too so if you're still hearing this down the road just brush it off and know you're at a nice healthy weight for your height.
  • megganjeninngs69
    megganjeninngs69 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Well maybe u should post before nd after pics , i know when i lost weight the first time that it took me gaining it all back to realize how small i had gotten before ( i still looked huge to myself) or it really could be, ther bein ugly and jealous idk!
  • megganjeninngs69
    megganjeninngs69 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    If someone told me now (your getting really skinny !) I be like yes!!! thank u :D
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Haters gonna hate. A lot of people try to drag you down just out of jealousy or because they feel threatened, or because you're making them have think about their own lifestyles, which makes them feel uncomfortable. I've had people make similar remarks to me, and I'm your same height and weigh 160! I'm still *overweight* according to the charts, and quite obviously so, and yet I have received negative feedback from some people, similar to what you describe. (I'm a size 10 on a good day, hardly too skinny!) They're called haters. They're everywhere, and everyone deals with them. Ignore them.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    You can't control other people, you can only prevent them from controlling you. If your weight is in the healthy range, then I'd just say that and change the subject.
  • lisawinning4losing
    Options
    I get that too. I'm 5'5" and 150lbs. I've been told you don't need to lose weight, go eat a hamburger, you need to stop losing weight etc. at 150, I'm at the high end of healthy bmi range & I'm far from where I'd like to be for my body. I just smile and ignore.

I think people get so used to seeing you one way they have trouble adjusting to you other ways.

This! Especially that last sentence. People don't adjust to change very well.

• MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I would just ignore it. If they are people I am close with, I would just say I have reached my goal and am not just maintaining.

You are at a healthy range, so just do what you feel looks best. It could just be that people are used to seeing you larger and the change is dramatic and can be startling...they will soon get used to it and stop commenting.

If is also possible that some people truly feel you would look better a few pounds heavier...at the high end of healthy instead of in the middle of the range. We all have different tastes. But the only opinion that really matters on aesthetics is yours...and your partner's to some extent. So ignore everyone else.

• TerryKes
    Options
    "You've lost too much weight!"

Neutral Responses:
    "Yeah, I have lost a lot of weight, but I'm done now."
    "Oh? I feel really healthy."
    "My doctor worked with me to determine a healthy weight."
    "Oh? Thank you for being worried about me, but I did this the healthy way."

Telling People how it is:
    "It makes me uncomfortable when you comment about my weight."
    "My weight isn't your business."
    "Would you like me to tell you my opinion about your weight?"
    "Oh, I'm so glad you have an opinion about my weight."
    "Do you like it when people comment on your weight?"

What a selection to choose from! Thank you, some of these will work for me!
  • TerryKes
    Options
    There is a point I've noticed in everyone's weight loss where your body and skin hasn't yet caught up and for a while we all have that look of almost sick. That might be what these people are seeing, for me it took about 3-4 months to snap out of it and I actually lost a bit more weight during that time so I'm about 15 pounds lighter than when everyone told me I wasn't looking healthy. I see it in pictures too if I look back but now I get nothing but you look great, fit, healthy and happy so hang in there, it could just be temporary.

You could also have run into the jealous group, those exist too so if you're still hearing this down the road just brush it off and know you're at a nice healthy weight for your height.

You're absolutely right about the initial lost-a-lot-of-weight-quickly look. I'm thinking that is a contributor. Even though I did the 1-2 pounds a week, it's still a lot to lose 45# in 5 months. Being older, my skin may take a while to catch up, and that's fine. ;) Thanks for your response!
  • lisawinning4losing
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    If is also possible that some people truly feel you would look better a few pounds heavier...at the high end of healthy instead of in the middle of the range. We all have different tastes. But the only opinion that really matters on aesthetics is yours...and your partner's to some extent. So ignore everyone else.

That too. Unfortunately I've received some harsh comments from men who prefer larger women. Well, good for them. But I'm not here to satisfy anyone's fat fetish. I'm not here to be skinny for anyone else, I'm not here to be chubby for anyone else. I'm doing this for me. And I'm in no danger of ever being underweight. I'm having to learn to just let these things slide off my back. Don't worry about other people. You did such a great job, you should be so proud!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!