Need help with good food and have four very fuss eating children so end up eating chips

Options
Plz help me with finding nice food easy and will make me lose wight please

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with chips if you can fit them in your calories, but if you struggle to fit them in you could always just give your kids chips and not have them yourself. I often cook chips for my boyfriend and just leave them off my plate and only have the meat and veg.

If you look at the recipes forum you might be able to find some good recipes there!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    How old are the children? I would make separate foods for myself for a while at some meals in order to prioritize my needs.
    Eventually, you can get them to be o.k. adding some new foods.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Don't buy chips then. Buy fruit and nuts and cheese and yogurt instead. All children are picky eaters, but they will adapt to what is available. They will complain at first, but they won't starve themselves.
  • pinkteapot3
    pinkteapot3 Posts: 157 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I have chips once a week. My 540 cal version of fish and chips on a Friday night, for a lazy post-work dinner:

Young's Chip Shop Large Battered Haddock - 235 cals
    150g (cooked weight) McCain's Original Oven Chips - 237 cals
    90g peas - 69 cals

Give in to the chips. :wink: The joy of calorie counting is that you can eat whatever you want, so long as you have enough cals left.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Can we agree about what "chips" we are talking about please?? In the U.S. and the U.K. I believe they are very different. :)
    In the U.S. we would almost never make them at home. We would buy them from the grocery store to bring home.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    If they don't want to eat what is provided, they don't eat. When they are hungry they will eat whatever you give them.
  • karaboo20
    Options
    I must be a horribly mean parent because my kids will eat what I fix or they can seriously go hungry. That being said, there are VERY few things that my children do not like, however they are always willing to try them. I agree with an earlier post, don't buy chips, buy fruits and stuff, or try cooking with the kids. Kids usually love to eat their own creations, so if you make healthy cooking fun and get them involved the chances of them eating it are much higher. :-)
  • elisamckenzie700
    Options
    Hi KyKay249. Chips here in Ireland (& UK) are thicker / bigger versions of french fries. I make my own at home and they are just as delicous as any of the shop bought versions, and they are also lower in calories. When you have your potatoes peeled and chipped (think extra big crudites) put them into a bowl with a tablespoon of oil, some salt and pepper and whatever spices / herbs you like. Then roast them on a high temperature till cooked through and crispy. Generally I find that you don't have to deny yourself or your children anything that they like so long as they are eaten in moderation and within your calorie count for the day. Also, making it yourself from scratch from home is always a winner. Good wholesome food, lower calories but all the taste of the processed versions. One recipe my kids love is this meatballs recipe, which can be served either with pasta, with "chip" and salad or even potatoes and vegetables:
    500.00 gm, mince
    454.00 g, Lean Beef Mince
    2.00 onion, Onions - Sweet, raw
    1.00 teaspoon (1g), Steak Seasoning
    3.00 tsp (5 ml), Worchestershire Sauce (Original)
    10.00 ml, Soy Sauce
    700.00 g, Tomato Passata with oregano & basil
    when divided in 6 it's only 276 calories and then you can add your sides to it.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    kykay249 wrote: »
    Plz help me with finding nice food easy and will make me lose wight please

As long as it fits your calories for the day, you can eat whatever you want and lose weight. You might find pre-logging your meals for the day helpful.
    You will probably find it easier to stay with your goal eating more low calorie foods and eating smaller portions of higher calorie items. Measure/weigh out your food portion.
    You don't have to eat the same food your children eat. You are responsible for what goes in your body.
    Try making homemade versions of foods you like to control fat, salt or sugar content.

You can eat salad, yogurt, sandwiches, eggs, raw vegetables, fruit, cooked vegetables (try roasted or grilled), cheese, meat, fish, oatmeal, soup, stir fry, pasta, rice, pizza, burrito, hamburger, veggie burger... Whatever fits your goal.

budgetbytes.com
    skinnytaste.com
  • brookesdsu
    brookesdsu Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You are the parent, you develop the menu and decide what your family will eat. Will it take a few weeks for the complaining to stop? Sure. But that is a heck of a lot better than setting your children up for a lifetime of food and weight issues. I never thought my oldest's weight issue had anything to do with mine. Once I came to my senses I learned it had EVERYTHING to do with my issues. I bought the food. I cooked the food. I ate the food. I "taught" her how to eat. Is she thrilled with the new changes in the house? Not really. But is she losing weight simply because I changed what food we have in the house and what we eat? Yep.