Hungry at night - anyone get this?

Options
Hi everyone

I don't always stick to my 1,200 limit but managed to do it yesterday. I wasn't really hungry apart from before meals, spread my snacks out and felt fine when I went to bed. I kept very well hydrated all day and had plenty to drink before bed. When I was lying trying to get to sleep I was so hungry I couldn't! I had to go down and make a small ham sandwich with one slice of bread and one slice of ham, which put me over my limit by 100 cals, which is quite annoying.

Does this happen to anyone else? It actually happens to me quite a lot. Not every night, but maybe once a week or so, and usually when I've really stuck to my plan.

Deb

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I get this every night. I always have something to eat just before bed. Usually chocolate or fruit.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Maybe 1200 isn't enough calories? I always save calories for an evening snack like an apple, or yogurt, or rice cakes that I like to have with a cup of tea when my kids are in bed. Somehow it tastes nicer then lol.

I do sometimes to to sleep hungry, but I'm usually so tired I don't care. My husband can't sleep when he's hungry though. I often find evidence of his midnight feast in the kitchen when I go in there in the morning :)
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Sometimes. I eat at night. I save calories for it.
  • mhook760
    mhook760 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Posted this on another thread but hope it's helpful to anyone here also.

One thing doing the 5:2 diet taught me that I am grateful for is the difference between the feeling of an empty stomach even though you've had all necessary calories and nutrients for the day, and actual 'need to eat' hunger. Nowadays I follow 16:8 for some of the benefits of fasting and find it super easy. I got to bed with the empty stomach feeling, sleep way better than I ever have before, wake up with energy and the empty feeling has gone. Then I have breakfast when I've been up 2/3 hours.

If I feel really really empty and it's bugging me, (rare)I have a hot herbal tea - no different to soup IMHO

If i know I've had what my body needs for the day, that's it I'm done. It feels great.

I will add the first few days getting used to my new practices were harder but it soon all adjusted brilliantly

I'd also recommend having a higher fat and protein content in your diet. days when I have higher carbs, I have way higher hunger. Fat is your friend, use your macros to your advantage
  • FlatTummyTrish
    FlatTummyTrish Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I get that every night too, it really stops me from losing as much weight as I want to, but I always try to have tea or fruit before bed. Even an egg sandwich will do the trick sometimes.
  • DeborahKilpatrick
    DeborahKilpatrick Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Glad to know I'm not alone! I saved calories for a small bag of choc popcorn in the evening but I think today I'll try saving enough to have a boiled egg and slice of toast or something to fill me up more. I wish I could just drop off to sleep and ignore the hunger but it really keeps me awake until I get something in my stomach.
  • dawkpound2k
    dawkpound2k Posts: 19 Member
    Options

I'd also recommend having a higher fat and protein content in your diet. days when I have higher carbs, I have way higher hunger. Fat is your friend, use your macros to your advantage [/quote]

THIS THIS THIS. more fat, protein and fiber, less carbs will help to curve those hunger pains a bit.
  • karaboo20
    Options
    What time do you eat dinner vs go to bed? Maybe try getting in bed earlier? On Thursdays all my shows come on so I'm usually up till 11 and I've noticed that I do get hungry when I'm up that late. I just chug a bunch of water though until my shows are over and try to get in Ed before I go eat the kitchen down. Lol...
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back some exercise calories? You may be eating too little during the day.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    you are probably not eating enough if you are that hungry ..

also, why would going over by 100 calories annoy you?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Pre-log your day to include night time snacks. If you're getting that hungry, you're probably over restricting yourself. Try changing your goal to reflect a slower rate of loss and exercise to earn extra calories.
  • DeborahKilpatrick
    DeborahKilpatrick Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hi, my MFP app is strange, it doesn't have an option for adding exercise! Instead it counts my steps and doesn't differentiate between walking and running, for instance, so I'm probably not eating back exercise calories. Anyway - I usually do go over the count by 1-200 calories most days so that probably makes up for it. Will try the tips about fat and protein, thanks for those!
    Also probably shouldn't beat myself up if I do have to have something extra at night ;)
  • scentered
    scentered Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've been 'keeping' 200'ish calories for an evening snack of a protein chocolate and mint/orange bar and sooooo look forward to, and enjoy that.
    In supermarket last night I came across the 38 calories hot chocolate drink, and decided to try that option. It worked a treat I'm happy to report :-)
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Why are you trying to stick to 1,200 calories? I think that's your problem. With less weight to lose, it's unwise to set aggressive goals like 2 lbs loss/week because you'll lose muscle and want to tear off your arm.

I don't know your stats, but your profile says you have 21 lbs left to lose.
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

Changing your settings to .5-1 lb loss per week would probably bump you up to 1,400 calories a week, unless you are very short.