Bananas? Good ? Bad?

Options

Replies

• poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    yellow/green bananas have rsistant starches which are good for you. Brown spotted more flavorful and good for digestion. That is why they are the first food of th e BRAT diet for stomach issues. Bananas, rice, applesauce and toast.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    *resistant
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    There's nothing bad about a banana unless it's turned all mushy/brown/black.

If it turns mushy and black then it is time to make banana bread. Mmmmmmm, yum...

• Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I feel like I have to get this off my chest...I'm anti-banana.

Things are getting really steamy early on in this here thread.

• jalarson23
    jalarson23 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Bananas are funny. I usually don't eat them alone unless I need something to hold me over. Any other time, I love to have them mixed in with other things. PB and banana, yes. Ice cream and banana, yes. Banana smoothie, yes. I love bananas with other foods, but not so much on their own. Yes, there are a lot of books about bananas and one of them I had to read through. The second one mentioned by another poster:
    DeWoSa wrote: »

Oddly enough, there are more than one books about bananas:

ssm1ip7qbbmx.jpg

...is all about the wars on bananas...yes, you read right, they even had wars over bananas. They referred to these wars as the banana wars. So why all the hype? At one point in time, the government went bananas...for bananas. Bananas were advertised as the "super food" of that time for it's nutrition content and easy storage.

What is so great about the nutrition of a banana? You have probably heard about how they are a good source of potassium, and although it does have a good amount, it's not as if one banana is going to get you all that close to your daily recommended intake for potassium alone. Bananas are actually more beneficial in other ways. It has a low to mid level glycemic index, which doesn't spike your blood sugar levels, but instead supplies you stable energy. This is why you will see people recommend it as a snack before a workout or as a snack to hold you over between meals. They also say that bananas help with your mood, digestion, and a few other things. At least that is what they are saying now, but maybe it is all hype. You decide.

The way I look at it, there is more to consider than calories alone. You could eat fast food every day and still have a calorie deficit, but how do you think you would feel if you did that on a regular basis? I'm not saying don't occasionally indulge (in fact, I encourage it), but don't rule out bananas so quickly. Even if you don't like bananas, there are other options out there that can supply you with something more substantial.

• PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I feel like we are missing each other's points.

You guys are saying a calorie is a calorie - which is absolutely true for weight loss.

I was more talking about ingredients wise. The ingredients in a banana are:banana. The ingredients in chips are: tons of delicious chemicals most of which do not occur in nature. That is the only way in which a fruit or veg would be a "better" food.

Again, you're talking to someone who did two separate workouts today because I realized that the first one would not fully cover my chemical laden tater tot casserole. Not judging snack food eaters!
    I understand what you are saying, but both chips and bananas have different things to offer. I'm not arguing the idea that the banana is the more natural of the two, and bananas definitely have less ingredients, but a banana can't help you reach your fat goal, for example. In the grand scheme of things, you're right, a calorie is a calorie.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Bananas are amazing.

They have given us so much. Banana split, banoffee pie, bananas fosters... Chocolate covered banana, banana chips, banana smoothies/milkshakes, frozen bananas, dried banana coins, banana bread.

Plus you can make people really uncomfortable if you make eye contact with them whilst eating one.

Best. Fruit. Ever.

ETA to add - Banana and peanut butter on toast. How could I forget?!
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Bananas = potassium = reduction of muscle cramps/spasms - this is old wisdom. We eat bananas frequently and *love* them. If you love them, eat them. :)
  • misheri90
    misheri90 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I eat a banana nearly everyday, dip them in Bulgarian yoghurt while I eat them, so good! I find if I eat 2 on a day I know I'll have a late lunch they'll keep me full but if they don't work for you then find something that does and appeals to you more
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    Bananas are amazing.

They have given us so much. Banana split, banoffee pie, bananas fosters... Chocolate covered banana, banana chips, banana smoothies/milkshakes, frozen bananas, dried banana coins, banana bread.

Plus you can make people really uncomfortable if you make eye contact with them whilst eating one.

Best. Fruit. Ever.

ETA to add - Banana and peanut butter on toast. How could I forget?!

And banana dogs!

Hot dog bun, slather inside with peanut butter, lay the banana in there like a hot dog, drizzle with honey.

• Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    So, I've eaten 50 bananas in the last 60 days and lost 18 pounds. They fit my calories and macros and most importantly make my breakfast of kale/spinach/greek yogurt/ almond milk smoothie yummy, as I dash out the door with four kids in tow.

OH, and I made Banana Nut Granola brownies and warm one up and eat before bed (okay in bed) at night! Yummy!

So, two myths down- bananas aren't bad for losing weight, and neither is eating right before bed;)
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    This is Jamaican sprinter, Yohan Blake. He has beaten Usain Bolt in the 100m and 200m before. Yohan Blake eats 16 bananas a day. Therefore, if you eat 17 bananas a day, you should be able to become the best sprinter in the world.

j4g66fogn1mt.jpg
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    richln wrote: »
    This is Jamaican sprinter, Yohan Blake. He has beaten Usain Bolt in the 100m and 200m before. Yohan Blake eats 16 bananas a day. Therefore, if you eat 17 bananas a day, you should be able to become the best sprinter in the world.

j4g66fogn1mt.jpg

LOL, so if I eat 16 bananas a day I can be an Olympic sprinter?

if I get some Jordan Nike sneakers can I dunk like Jordan too? Even though I am a 35 year old white guy???
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I make protein pancakes, with peanut butter, bananas and syrup!! <3<3

1510657_10204839196733503_967341415527901552_n.jpg?oh=c23df6c7b26cd9472542876c42a3193a&oe=5580B933
  • Tikibar72
    Tikibar72 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I just ate a banana and it was fabulous.
  • davis978
    davis978 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Life is too short (and calorie limits are too low) to eat foods you don't like. If you don't like bananas, don't eat bananas.

I don't eat many of them because I think they aren't a good calorie "value" - i.e. too many calories for what you get. But, if I also don't love them. If I loved them, I probably would think they were a good value and would eat more of them.

TL:DR - eat food you like and make it fit into your goals.
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    richln wrote: »

[/img]

Hee hee -- I'm doing it TODAY! See you all from the podium, suckers!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    should add them to my diet daily or weekly

Add them if you like them... Bananas are a great food.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Never eat a yellow banana, its pure starch. Always eat it when it has brown spots, then its pure carb!

This makes no sense...
    Eat a banana the way you like them.