On day 6 need to lose 56lb. Need some help and support please

Options
Would realy appreciate some tips and advice :-)

Replies

• debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Take it slow and steady, this is a marathon and not a sprint. I usually make some of my "goodies" fit into my calories each day so I don't feel like I am depriving myself of anything and that has helped me to lose 50 pounds so far. Add me as a friend if you want a fitness buddy.
  • arizonahiker
    arizonahiker Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Remember, you didn't put on the weight over night so it does take time to take it off. Lean on your MFP friends, but remember to focus on the positive and make sure you take the time to motivate them as well. You got this :)
  • w3ndy072
    w3ndy072 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    yes take it slow, and do it in a way you can continue for a long time. Fad diets don't work, soon as you come off of them chances are you will gain it all back (I learned the hard way), fresh is the way to go, but you can still make your favorites, just in a healthier way. I am doing the "whole food" or "clean eating" type lifestyle and its working for me. I'm 7 months in and have lost 60 pounds :smiley:
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Hi Stacey. I had like 80lbs to lose and started last year. I'm at the halfway point. debubbie is right. The first thing I recommend is just start logging everything to see how much you are actually eating. When you set up your goals in MFP I recommend the lb per week option. If you select to lose 2lbs a week it gives you like 1200 calories and that makes things pretty rough when starting out.

If you chose the "sedentary" activity level in your setup make sure that you are eating back at least some of your exercise calories. Just take things slow. Otherwise it is too easy to sabotage yourself. Feel free to send me a friend request.
  • staceymca_89
    staceymca_89 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Well done thats brilliant. I was away over the weekend so exceeded my 1200 daily calorie intake but back on track today. Havent exercised in 11 months due to injury so thats when i pile on the weight but starting with the personal trainer on friday. My will power is awful so ill be needimg all the motivation in the world to keep going. I appreciate ur advice :smile:
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Make some friends here on MFP. It will help keep you motivated. You can add me if you like :)
  • bridgetmorningstar
    Options
    Keep track of what you eat, eat simply (which helps with figuring out calories and whether you are meeting your micro and macronutrients on myfitnesspal), and find some friends to cheer you on! You can do it!
  • KharismaticKayteh
    KharismaticKayteh Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    The best advice I can give you, from my personal experience, is to log your foods ahead of time. Don't fret - that doesn't mean you have to log all your meals a week in advance. Just try logging all the meals you want to have in a day that morning or the night before. You don't have to follow that meal plan exactly, but it gives you an idea of how you're meeting your calorie goals. It also gives you an idea of whether you can squeeze in a bowl of ice cream, and/or it gives you the opportunity to swap out one of your healthier meals for a sweet treat or skip breakfast if you're planning on having dinner at a steak house.

Second-best advice I can give you is to never be too hard on yourself and accept right now that you're going to make mistakes! Everyone does. If you get a surprise visit from friends who live out of town and they want to have a steak house dinner with you, you may find when you get home and log your meals that you're 800 calories over for the day. Or, if you have such tendencies, you may find that you had a binge day and went a good 1500 over your calories. It's okay! And it will be okay either way, but you can choose if you want to let that day go or try to make up for it throughout the week. If you choose the latter, I don't recommend you try to make up for it all in one day. However many calories you went over (say 1500), divide that number by 6 (which is 250), and just come that many calories short every day for the next week (so if your normal goal is 1600 a day, you might instead aim for 1350 each day for the next six days).
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    ^^ That's certainly one way - personally I never go over unless I already have the calories banked .. I think of it like money, can I afford this? Then I'll eat it .. I tend to keep around a 1000 over the week for a weekend splurge... and if I'm really fancying something I'll go for a long walk or another workout to afford it

if you do splurge, always always log it .. then carry on carrying on

Weigh and log all food carefully

Cut exercise calories in half and EAT THEM BACK

• Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I always pick out what I'm going to eat (and log it) before going to a restaurant. Loads of places have their menus and nutritional info online.

Try to get as much exercise as you can, even taking the stairs a few extra times or doing laps around the office. When you've been truly sedentary (especially with an injury) you will want to start slow.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide#latest

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

read these, they give you all the basic knowledge you need to have success.

err on the side of overestimating intake and underestimating burns, you will not regret it

~best wishes
  • dawncolleen0120
    dawncolleen0120 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My advice is to stay focused. Whatever you have to do - remind yourself often that you are committed to this, why you are committed to this and how you are willing to do what it takes. For me, staying focused and not letting myself get distracted by food that is off-plan and then justifying why I "need" it just now is the hard part. What's helped me so far is tracking my food, walking (or doing whatever you enjoy for exercise), drinking more water, making sure I sleep enough and not eating anything I haven't made myself. In other words, I don't eat out, don't drink soda, avoid most sweets, and don't eat ready-made food. But my circumstances are different than most folks, so that may or may not work for you. But it's been working for me. Also I don't eat after dinner (even if I get hungry) and most importantly I take this journey one week at a time. My goal is to lose one pound a week, not 25 lbs. in 6 months. I work from Sunday to Sunday to lose one pound. That's all. If I lose more than one pound - Yay! But all I want is to lose one pound by Sunday. I've only been at it for 3 weeks now, so I'm still early in the game but so far since Feb. 1 I've lost 5 lbs. I'm 59 years old and weight doesn't just fly off me anymore so I see it as one pound at a time.

Good luck with your journey. Stay focused and remember why you want it.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

if you do splurge, always always log it .. then carry on carrying on

this too, it is very common for people to ignore one meal or one day, if you don't know how you impacted your deficit then it is not fair to get upset when you don't see the outcome you expect

• Daschnitker
    Daschnitker Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Stacey, my goal is 2.2 lbs per week. I am on a 1700 calorie goal and have no problem reaching that and not getting to hungry, I have only been at this steady since the beginning of the year make time to exercise even if nothing more than walking the dog. I have lost just about 30lbs and have another 65 to go. Think positive, and give yourself a treat now and then just remember tomorrow get right back on the wagon.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    I was using MFP for a good 6 months before I found these posts so it is a bit of a personal mission of mine to pass them on to other people who are just starting.

My standard suggestion/tip is to do some reading and buy a small kitchen scale!!!
    juliet3455 wrote: »

Some of these links will show up in the other Groups and discussions.
    There are lots of other good groups and discussions with really good information and some with a more Social aspect.

@blankiefinder‌ She Nailed it when it comes to Logging accurately.
    By the way, if I haven't found an entry that lists the grams, I keep looking for a different entry. This [ Enter Food ] item is already listed a bunch of times. Better to edit and correct one that is already there than add to the database mess that exists now. :)

When creating or editing a Food item from the existing database my Personal Bias is to enter the nutritional values based on grams ( 100 gm ) as it makes the portion size math easy, especially when you use a scale and WEIGH EVERYTHING. Don't log 2 tablespoons as it is a subjective number, where 32 gm. is very concise. You will be surprised how small some portions look when you start to weigh them out.
    Re-train/calibrate your mind as to what a portion size is.
    For Nutritional values start with the values from the product label and confirm it with the un-biased nutritional information from the USDA web site at 100 gm.
  • kmorales_4
    kmorales_4 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I'm hitching a ride with this thread as I'm on the same page. Great inputs everyone.
  • caroandjemy
    caroandjemy Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I try I got to loose 80 lbs so I would love any friends who are trying to loose. Motivation, tips, open diaries. Add me :)
  • staceymca_89
    staceymca_89 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, there is some great advice here that i will definately take along my journey with me. I am very greatful for u all to take th time to help me :smile:
  • margolinville
    margolinville Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, there is some great advice here that i will definately take along my journey with me. I am very greatful for u all to take th time to help me :smile:

Hey! You can do it! Don't forget to train your brain. Say No! To your brain when it's sabotaging your diet