Lifting weights for fat loss

Options
I have this dream to lose all my fat. I have done mostly cardio based workouts (with super strict diets) and I was successful for a bit until I stopped working out as hard and relaxed on the "diet"

This time me and my bf are focusing on weights and he set up a circuit that contains 10 minutes of cardio followed by 8 sets of weight based workouts for 5 minutes with 1 minute of rest as we transition to the next exercise then another 10 minutes of cardio at the end

When we can do any one exercise at least two days without taking a break we increase the weight. So it's more about increasing weight, not reps

On my off days I try to do cardio but most of the time I just don't

Long story short, is this a good start to fat loss (I clearly want muscle mass as well)?

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    It sounds ok for fat loss coupled with a retention of muscle, but you won't see much muscle gain unless you eat at a surplus. Since you want to lose fat, I'm assuming you are eating at a deficit. You might also want to look into "real" lifting programs, like Stronglifts 5x5 or Strongcurves, just to make sure you are doing a well-rounded routine. I have no idea what kind of routine you are doing now. Most lifting routines don't have you lifting/using the same muscle group two days in a row. Space it out a bit, like M/W/F or T/Th/Sat. You might also want to only increase the weight weekly.
  • _rachel_k
    _rachel_k Posts: 243 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    We do lifting monday, Wednesday, Friday and I'm eating 1800 calories a day. Sometimes I lose track and only eat 1600

We do 10 minutes on a stationary bike, then 5 minutes of clean and press, bench press, bent over rows (2.5 each side), Arnold presses, abs (2.5 upper and lower), bicep curls, tricep extensions, weighted lunges then 10 minutes with the heavy bag. I am increasing my weight almost every two weeks (so every 4th or 5th day)
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    First, what you are doing sounds like mostly cardio. With some resistance training aspect, but still if I understand correctly, the focus is on fast paced circuit. Which is ok, since your goal is weight loss, cardio is good for burning calories and you will increase endurance.

But, you need to understand that weight loss can happen with no exercise, running, aerobics, dance, martial arts, weights, a combination or anythign else you like. If you do nto see it as a lifestyle change and think "I will eat less, do X or Y exercise for Z amount of time", then when you decide to stop, you will gradually get back to where you started. The reason you failed in the past in maintaining was not that you did not do resistance training, it was that in the end, you started again eating more than you burned. So, you need to figure out something maintenable on the long run. If it is again a "diet" or an exercise program supposed to last for a few weeks or months, it will again lead nowhere.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    What you’re doing is primarily a cardio circuit. It should help you retain strength and burn calories. Since your primary goal is fat loss, I wouldn’t recommend anything else. This won’t likely add muscle mass (you might see some newbie gains, but they will plateau as will your ability to increase weight on the exercises).

When you’re ready to build muscle strength and mass, consider going to a 5 x 5 compound movement program (strong lifts).
  • _rachel_k
    Options
    Is there any way to make this circuit more about strength?

I just want to be skinny and strong and sooner rather than later lol
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I agree that a circuit like you're describing is more cardio and muscle endurance than a strength training routine.

To get stronger, you need to train with heavy weights. There are several tried and true programs out there that can help you get to your goal.
    Stronglifts 5x5 (the one I'm currently following)
    New Rules of Lifting
    New Rules of Lifting for Women
    Strongcurves
    Ice Cream Fitness
    Wendler's 5/3/1

These programs have you perform basic compound moves (some include accessories) and have you do progressive overloading. They specify the number of reps and sets, while you decide on the weight. They also implement adding weight each time you successfully complete a workout (progressive overloading).
  • AllanMisner
    Options
    _rachel_k wrote: »
    Is there any way to make this circuit more about strength?

I just want to be skinny and strong and sooner rather than later lol

Circuits will seldom be effective in building any real strength. Xcalygrl listed several popular programs above. They are heavy lifting and require a rest between each set (60 - 300 seconds). This rest is important to allow your muscles to recover enough to lift heavy again.

But with you running at a deficit (eating few calories than you’re burning), even these programs won’t maximize strength gains. Your secondary goal (strength) will not come easily based on your primary goal (fat loss). With patience, you’ll see both, but the primary goal will win out if you’re eating at a deficit.
  • pinkbananashoes
    Options
    Hi there, I also have a question along the same lines - do I have to lose weight before starting to lift heavy? I've been doing a similar circuit with resistance type programme but want to get skinny strong eventually. Should I continue what I'm doing until I'm at my goal weight? Thanks for the advice! Hx
  • AllanMisner
    Options
    Hi there, I also have a question along the same lines - do I have to lose weight before starting to lift heavy? I've been doing a similar circuit with resistance type programme but want to get skinny strong eventually. Should I continue what I'm doing until I'm at my goal weight? Thanks for the advice! Hx

It is difficult to optimize both. So most people will lift to retain strength and muscle mass while they lose and then shift focus to mass building later. Still circuits are not the most effective way to build/retain strength.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    No! Start now. You may not gain muscle on a deficit (although I'm quite proud of my noobie gains, TYVM) it will reduce your muscle loss so that you are starting from a stronger position when you hit your goal weight and start eating more.

• xcalygrl
    Options

Nope. Lift now! You'll have a better body composition when you reach your goal weight if you lift while you lose. Lifting while on a deficit won't build any muscle, but it will make you stronger and retain lean body mass (aka muscles).
  • elleykat
    elleykat Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    This is great info, thanks OP for posting and for all the replies. I have similar questions. :) Right now I'm focusing on weight loss (have about 100 lbs to lose, yikes) and doing cardio (mostly swimming/water aerobics because that's fun for me and something I can see sticking with for life) and eating at a deficit. I'm also doing strength training 3x a week, right now going to the gym and using the machines but I want to move my strength routine to something I can do in my home (since I need to go to the gym for the pool, it's causing some stress on my home life ditching my husband and 6 month old son 5-6 days a week to hit the gym...)

What type of equipment (if any) would be best for strength training at home for muscle retention? Is there a program like the ones mentioned above that is aimed at this goal rather than building muscle/lifting heavy? I currently have a set of resistance bands, an adjustable set of dumbells that can be 2.5/5/7.5/10/12.5/15 lbs, and a stability ball. I tried doing a basic bodyweight workout a few weeks ago and I don't know if I had bad form or what but I think the squats/lunges broke me... I was limping for about 3 days. :/ I want to challenge myself, but I don't want to hurt myself, and this is just not an area I'm well versed in! Would some sessions with a personal trainer help?
  • cupajo77
    cupajo77 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi all, my name's Sara...not sure I'm posting in the proper category or not...I've used MFP on/off for a couple months and have made a 15 day streak this time around. I'm back on the "band wagon" with both cardio and weight lifting. My question is this...when logging exercise I don't know what to log for my WOD (crossfit) routines??? The routine changes each day I attend the class and sometimes there is cardio within the workout and sometimes its just more weight/strength based. I only attend the WOD (workout of the day) class twice a week and then use my elliptical three other days of the work week. I like seeing the calories burned (makes me feel as though I accomplished something :) That being said, my goal is to loose about 8lbs and otherwise tone and/or build endurance.

Any suggestions??? thanks!!!!
  • xcalygrl
    Options
    This is great info, thanks OP for posting and for all the replies. I have similar questions. :) Right now I'm focusing on weight loss (have about 100 lbs to lose, yikes) and doing cardio (mostly swimming/water aerobics because that's fun for me and something I can see sticking with for life) and eating at a deficit. I'm also doing strength training 3x a week, right now going to the gym and using the machines but I want to move my strength routine to something I can do in my home (since I need to go to the gym for the pool, it's causing some stress on my home life ditching my husband and 6 month old son 5-6 days a week to hit the gym...)

What type of equipment (if any) would be best for strength training at home for muscle retention? Is there a program like the ones mentioned above that is aimed at this goal rather than building muscle/lifting heavy? I currently have a set of resistance bands, an adjustable set of dumbells that can be 2.5/5/7.5/10/12.5/15 lbs, and a stability ball. I tried doing a basic bodyweight workout a few weeks ago and I don't know if I had bad form or what but I think the squats/lunges broke me... I was limping for about 3 days. :/ I want to challenge myself, but I don't want to hurt myself, and this is just not an area I'm well versed in! Would some sessions with a personal trainer help?

If you aren't used to using the muscles in the way you used them, you will have some DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) for a few days. It usually lasts for 24-72 hours. When I take a break (for longer than a week) then come back, I can't walk right for a few days because of sore muscles.

A couple of sessions with a personal trainer would help, if you want to do that. But that doesn't solve the problem of getting you out of the gym.

Convict Conditioning and You are Your Own Gym are both body-weight based exercise routines. You can get fit (or stay fit) using just your own body weight. You won't build muscle, but that doesn't sound like it's your goal.
  • mccoybrah
    Options
    Read rules for lifting for women. Itd only tone y'll up unless srs supplementation and srs high protein diet.
  • _rachel_k
    Options
    As I am doing this program with my bf. I don't really want to do "women specific" programs. I know my bf was talking about changing to follow Arnold's program for a month then go back to the circuit for a month
  • _rachel_k
    Options
    So since I don't actually know how many calories I burn lifting weights, how do I know how much to eat?
  • AllanMisner
    Options

If you’re at a calorie deficit, you’re not going to bulk up. You’ll need to lift heavy to retain strength. The bodyweight work you did might do the trick in the beginning. Learn more about the proper form and then let ‘er rip. Once you get used to that, start using the dumbbells to increase the weight you’re moving.

If you want to buy one piece of equipment, I’d go with either a barbell (with weights) or a few kettle bells. Those along with your dumbbells will give you quite a bit of variety for lifting while you focus on fat loss.

• AllanMisner
    Options
    cupajo77 wrote: »
    Hi all, my name's Sara...not sure I'm posting in the proper category or not...I've used MFP on/off for a couple months and have made a 15 day streak this time around. I'm back on the "band wagon" with both cardio and weight lifting. My question is this...when logging exercise I don't know what to log for my WOD (crossfit) routines??? The routine changes each day I attend the class and sometimes there is cardio within the workout and sometimes its just more weight/strength based. I only attend the WOD (workout of the day) class twice a week and then use my elliptical three other days of the work week. I like seeing the calories burned (makes me feel as though I accomplished something :) That being said, my goal is to loose about 8lbs and otherwise tone and/or build endurance.

Any suggestions??? thanks!!!!

Most people plug in calisthenics or circuit training. Remember that calorie burn is just an estimate (as is your calorie intake). When I’m tracking, I plug an amount based on the perceived effort and time. After a few weeks, I look at body measurements and weight and tweak if needed. Since it is all estimates, there’s little need to get to some artificial accuracy.
  • unlikelyathlete
    unlikelyathlete Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    This is really great information! I think I needed a little reminder about how weight lifting plays in while you are trying to lose weight. I definitely want to build muscle, but for vanity reasons, I'd love to get about 5-8 pounds off before making that the priority. I have NROWLFW and I will get into gear with that when it's time to make the switch!