Home gyms.

Options

Replies

• MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    You can build a rack out of wood. I believe @mireygal76 has a stand she made of wood , cement, buckets, and brackets

I made them using this template:
    http://homemadestrength.blogspot.ca/2011/04/more-than-just-squat-stands.html

It was pretty easy, and they have served me well :smiley:
    20140209_181547_23524-1_zpstfp7xnko.jpg
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Sweet, another chance to *kitten* out my pics.

51163485433173627074.jpg

52522497578703419904.jpg

Did you build thta lifting platform? Plywood and horse stall mat? Been thinking about doing that myself.

Yup, it's just 3/4" plywood and 3/4" horse stall mats. I used cabinet-grade plywood for the top layer so it looks "nice". And some screws just to keep the layers from shifting. Pretty simple and cheap. Been deadlifting on it for a year and it looks perfect still.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    MireyGal76 wrote: »
    You can build a rack out of wood. I believe @mireygal76 has a stand she made of wood , cement, buckets, and brackets

Amazing! I love you for sharing this. New spring project (after kitchen is done)!!

I'm working on a home gym. So far all I have is a curl bar, various dumbells (adjustable and set weight), resistance bands, yoga mat, pull up bar and a CycleOps mag trainer for my bike. Have to start somewhere. Barbell, squat rack, and bench are next on the list.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    @blktngldhrt can you tell me more about this bike trainer? I'm looking into one for my gym

If you have a play it again near you, pop in!
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Sweet, another chance to *kitten* out my pics.

51163485433173627074.jpg

52522497578703419904.jpg

Duuude. That's amazing.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    MireyGal76 wrote: »

Amazing! I love you for sharing this. New spring project (after kitchen is done)!!

I'm working on a home gym. So far all I have is a curl bar, various dumbells (adjustable and set weight), resistance bands, yoga mat, pull up bar and a CycleOps mag trainer for my bike. Have to start somewhere. Barbell, squat rack, and bench are next on the list.

@lishie_rebooted‌ I miss typed..I have a cycleops fluid 2 trainer for my bike. My SO always says mag..and it's ingrained in me to call it that. I'm not sure if there are superior brands. That's just the one I have and it's never given me any issues. It's almost 8 years old and still working like the first day..even with being used by two people. It's really easy to set up, too. Once your bike has the quick release skewer on, it takes a minute or less. The resistance is good and can be controlled with your gears. It's pretty quiet. You can also use climbing blocks to simulate a hill. I love it.

I don't think there's a play it again around here. I've never even heard of it!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I've seen plenty of bench press benches and racks on Craigslist and the person selling says it doubles as a squat rack. How is that? I guess you could raise the rack to the right height to where you can get under it but there's nothing there as far as a "safety net" to catch the bar should I not be able to get back up or something. Isn't that an important component of a squat rack? Or is it not that important? I've never actually needed those safety bars before but used them when I worked out at a gym.
  • jhc7324
    jhc7324 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I've seen plenty of bench press benches and racks on Craigslist and the person selling says it doubles as a squat rack. How is that? I guess you could raise the rack to the right height to where you can get under it but there's nothing there as far as a "safety net" to catch the bar should I not be able to get back up or something. Isn't that an important component of a squat rack? Or is it not that important? I've never actually needed those safety bars before but used them when I worked out at a gym.

I can use mine as a squat rack for warmup level weights, but I would never be able to do a full working set using it.

Most of the racks that say they double as a squat rack have a curved lower bracket where the bench rests on when its down flat. These benches usually incline, so when you squat you just flip the bench all the way forward, out of the way, and the curved bar lets you get in under the bar without having to bend awkwardly. Still, its not the same as a real squat rack, and you don't have any safeties, and with mine at least, I'm still having to take the bar off the rack much lower than I prefer, and at a slightly odd angle, so I basically have to "goodmorning" the bar out of the rack, then step back and squat. Re-racking is a similar pain.

If someone tells you their bench doubles as a squat rack, they probably don't squat.
  • njfitnessmom
    njfitnessmom Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Okay, this thread is now making me want to work on my home gym. I have plenty of space in my basement. I already have a treadmill and a weight bench. I have dumbbells up to 25lbs. I may have to add this to my hunny-do list :wink:
  • hesn92
    Options
    jhc7324 wrote: »

I can use mine as a squat rack for warmup level weights, but I would never be able to do a full working set using it.

Most of the racks that say they double as a squat rack have a curved lower bracket where the bench rests on when its down flat. These benches usually incline, so when you squat you just flip the bench all the way forward, out of the way, and the curved bar lets you get in under the bar without having to bend awkwardly. Still, its not the same as a real squat rack, and you don't have any safeties, and with mine at least, I'm still having to take the bar off the rack much lower than I prefer, and at a slightly odd angle, so I basically have to "goodmorning" the bar out of the rack, then step back and squat. Re-racking is a similar pain.

If someone tells you their bench doubles as a squat rack, they probably don't squat.
    I'm also pretty tall so that would not work. From looking at the pictures it doesn't look like you can raise the rack up very high at all. It might work for a shorter person but would be really awkward for me
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options

I'm also pretty tall so that would not work. From looking at the pictures it doesn't look like you can raise the rack up very high at all. It might work for a shorter person but would be really awkward for me

If you scroll up, Mirey posted what she uses. She's 6'1" and uses her set up for bench and squat.

I know there are other homemade options if you can't afford ones from Sports Authority and you're handy (which I kind of am but have no tools lol)
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

If you scroll up, Mirey posted what she uses. She's 6'1" and uses her set up for bench and squat.

I know there are other homemade options if you can't afford ones from Sports Authority and you're handy (which I kind of am but have no tools lol)

The setup that I made has you measure a number of distances... One for the top rest - which is for squats - and the other for the bench rest. If I were to make it again, I'd add a modification which puts a third, lower rest - a spot to drop the bar if I'm failing on a rep for bench. As such, when I work out alone - I only push to almost failure. :)

I also have a heavy bag for boxing, a treadmill, and some other weights for curls and such.

It's enough to keep me going - and the weights - I got like 300 lbs of weight for $50 off kijiji
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I just purchased a set of Valor Fitness BD-8 squat stands and an adjustable bench. Saves a ton of space compared to a rack and is functional for the bench press as well. I purchased them both on amazon for about $300.
  • hesn92
    Options

Lucky for me my boyfriend is a framer... As in he builds houses. So If I ask nicely he could probably build me something really easily! That may be what I'll (he'll) do! Lol I am NOT handy
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options

Lucky for me my boyfriend is a framer... As in he builds houses. So If I ask nicely he could probably build me something really easily! That may be what I'll (he'll) do! Lol I am NOT handy

I'm like 98% positive there is someone on the forum who has a wood rack, not the set up that Mirey has. I wanna say its @hollydubs85 but I think that's wrong, since I tagged her, maybe she'll come clarify haha

You could get your BF to build you a bench too and the you can get some batting and fabric to cover the wood so it looks more like a traditional bench.
    Unless you want an adjustable one like I have, I'd buy that lol
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    coworker of mine has a wood rack.

I personally wouldn't trust it for heavy loads, but he's doing quite fine with it, and uses 1" steel bars for the safety bars.

He won't be dying any time soon.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

I'm like 98% positive there is someone on the forum who has a wood rack, not the set up that Mirey has. I wanna say its @hollydubs85 but I think that's wrong, since I tagged her, maybe she'll come clarify haha

You could get your BF to build you a bench too and the you can get some batting and fabric to cover the wood so it looks more like a traditional bench.

Not me, unfortunately. My husband and I aren't that handy, haha! I know someone on here has a wood rack too, but I can't remember who it is.

As an aside, I'd suggest getting an adjustable bench. That way you can use it for incline benchpress and other good exercises.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options

Not me, unfortunately. My husband and I aren't that handy, haha! I know someone on here has a wood rack too, but I can't remember who it is.

As an aside, I'd suggest getting an adjustable bench. That way you can use it for incline benchpress and other good exercises.

Ah darn!
    It's someone else who regularly posts about lifting then... it's gonna bug me!
    Thanks for responding Holly haha

I love have the incline bench. I use it for incline hammer curls currently. But when running isn't my focus (so December 2015) I'll use it for other stuff
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    @blktngldhrt can you tell me more about this bike trainer? I'm looking into one for my gym

I've used CycleOps trainers at my bike shop (both magnetic and fluid), and they are good. I have a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine fluid trainer at home. I LOVE it. Very quiet. I got it brand new with a riser for the front wheel off ebay 7-8 years ago (before ebay went to poop) for like $200 shipped - they retail for $380 now (were about $320 or so at the time), and the riser block retails for like $30, so I got a heck of a deal. :smiley:

In general, magnetic and fluid are very similar, but fluid are much quieter (and from what I've read, tend to last longer).

KK also makes a "rock and roll" trainer, which mounts your bike like a standard trainer, but allows for more natural movement of the bike under you (like when you're on the road) - but it is a lot more expensive at $580

Rollers are another option - and some cyclists would say best - your bike is not actually connected to the rollers, which forces you to master balance and form. I've never used rollers - they scare me LOL!

DCRainmaker is the place to go for comparisons of all the different kinds of trainers: dcrainmaker.com/2014/11/2014-winter-trainer-recommendations.html

• lishie_rebooted
    Options
    gobonas99 wrote: »

I've used CycleOps trainers at my bike shop (both magnetic and fluid), and they are good. I have a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine fluid trainer at home. I LOVE it. Very quiet. I got it brand new with a riser for the front wheel off ebay 7-8 years ago (before ebay went to poop) for like $200 shipped - they retail for $380 now (were about $320 or so at the time), and the riser block retails for like $30, so I got a heck of a deal. :smiley:

In general, magnetic and fluid are very similar, but fluid are much quieter (and from what I've read, tend to last longer).

KK also makes a "rock and roll" trainer, which mounts your bike like a standard trainer, but allows for more natural movement of the bike under you (like when you're on the road) - but it is a lot more expensive at $580

Rollers are another option - and some cyclists would say best - your bike is not actually connected to the rollers, which forces you to master balance and form. I've never used rollers - they scare me LOL!

DCRainmaker is the place to go for comparisons of all the different kinds of trainers: dcrainmaker.com/2014/11/2014-winter-trainer-recommendations.html

Whoa thanks @gobanas99
    I've bugged my Fl since a few have them.
    And I found a CycleOps Mag on CL for 90$.
    I have a hybrid road/mountain bike which is useless for trails since it has no shocks so really I have a heavy road bike with mountain bike tires. I plan to replace it with a real road bike IF i get the trainer and use it regularly and ride my bike to work enough to justify the cost lol