delayed onset soreness

Options
I'm a very beginner runner so I decided to switch from my regular shoes to my minimalist shoes at the beginning of this couch to 5K program. The first run in my minimalist shoes felt pretty good, better than my normal shoes, but the next day my calves were killing me. I wasn't too concerned about this and thought I would just take a break until they calm down. It's now three days later and my calves still hurt. Does that mean that I pushed myself too hard? How do I get this pain to go away so I can get back to my program?

Replies

• AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, and I'm sure others here can more thoroughly answer this questions. But I suspect, like any new shoe, you have to transition gradually. I found this article from Backcountry that might be helpful.
  • sarahselah
    Options
    I was only running for a minute at a time, and all day long I'm barefoot... I thought that was gradual enough... Apparently not!
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    DOMS will come with a new exercise plan, the worst pain is usually 24-72 hours following.
    Once your body gets used to it, it will happen less often!

What I do best for it is using a foam roller, or taking a bath in epsom salts! Also, drink lots of water!

Hope you're back up to running shape again soon!
  • bmanlatour
    bmanlatour Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Are your calories heavily restricted? Low carb or low protein (to feed muscle) ? Are you sleeping 7-9 hrs (to heal muscle)? Are you taking fish oil (natural anti inflammatory)?

It could be lack of recovery. I was getting into weight lifting while I was on a very low carb diet and I was sore all the time. My recovery is much faster now that I eat a fruit and some oats with a protein drink as a post work out. It could be response to new stimulus. Either way you should be ok. Stretch your sore muscles. The pain can be tightness.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    DOMS sucks. But the good news is that, as bad as it can get, it only lasts a few days and it won't be anywhere near as bad after the next time.
  • sarahselah
    Options
    Yes I've been restricting calories.. I'll try more fruit and protein!
    Do I need to wait for the soreness to be totally gone before I run again?
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    sarahselah wrote: »

No. DOMS actually gets better faster if you do active recovery (if it doesn't feel better once you get warmed up, it's usually something other than DOMS). Take an easier run or just do some walking.
  • sarahselah
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »

No. DOMS actually gets better faster if you do active recovery (if it doesn't feel better once you get warmed up, it's usually something other than DOMS). Take an easier run or just do some walking.

Oh yay!
  • bmanlatour
    bmanlatour Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Active recovery is a really good point @hill8570‌
  • sgthaggard
    Options

Presuming, of course, you can move. ;)
  • sarahselah
    Options
    sgthaggard wrote: »

Haha yes today I can move. Two days ago I was hobbling.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Over time, you should have less and less DOMS to deal with. In the mean time, here are a few things to do/consider:
    - Make sure you’re getting plenty of water
    - Keep moving the body part (active recovery)
    - Use self-myofascial release (deep massage). I use a roller bar and a lacrosse ball. Roll the muscle and when you hit a sore spot, hold the pressure until the soreness subsides (10 - 30 seconds).
    - After 84 hours, even if there is some soreness, you should be able to work that muscle group again (run with the shoes again). Get a good warm up, do some self-myofascial release before, and stretch afterward.

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options

True. But DOMS usually peaks on the second day after the workout. OP said this was the third day, so she should be doing sort-kinda OK by now.
  • sgthaggard
    Options

Then get right back out there, chiclet. :)
  • sarahselah
    Options

Then get right back out there, chiclet. :)

Woot!
  • Alty63
    Alty63 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Gentle stretching at the start, more onerous stretching at the end (when your muscles will be warmed up)
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Lots of good stuff here! Just adding that your warmup should literally get you warmer. (Depending on what kind of gym teacher you had, how new you are to fitness, etc you might or might not know that.) Something like this:

Move to get warm. Your heart rate should go up. (Low impact cardio, like walking, punches or other arm movements, etc.)

Some dynamic stretches if you like. (Stretching through movement. Be kind, don't "pop" or attempt to go as far as you can. It's more about a bit of gentle repetition to limber up and undo stiffness, and not about progressing your overall flexibility.)

Main fitness routine.
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Make sure your shoes are ok to run in. You say they're minimalist shoes which won't do your feet much good if you aren't used to it. Walking barefoot but then running is very different, and you don't want to hurt yourself
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Nicola0000 wrote: »
    Make sure your shoes are ok to run in. You say they're minimalist shoes which won't do your feet much good if you aren't used to it. Walking barefoot but then running is very different, and you don't want to hurt yourself
    This too!

Going to a proper running store and having your gait analyzed is the most important thing to do as you need to be in the right shoes!
  • sarahselah
    Options
    Since I'm a beginner and not used to running in any kind of shoe and my feet are in great shape, my pt recommended I start in my Vibrams.