Replies

• sarahselah
    Options
    We'll do a gait analysis next week.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    sarahselah wrote: »
    Since I'm a beginner and not used to running in any kind of shoe and my feet are in great shape, my pt recommended I start in my Vibrams.
    PT as personal trainer? If they know what their looking for, and your foot has no special needs, then you're good.

Just FYI, having your gait analyzed is usually free and can be done super quick in case you wanted a second opinion.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    We'll do a gait analysis next week.
    Awesome!
  • Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Over time, you should have less and less DOMS to deal with. In the mean time, here are a few things to do/consider:
    - Make sure you’re getting plenty of water
    - Keep moving the body part (active recovery)
    - Use self-myofascial release (deep massage). I use a roller bar and a lacrosse ball. Roll the muscle and when you hit a sore spot, hold the pressure until the soreness subsides (10 - 30 seconds).
    - After 84 hours, even if there is some soreness, you should be able to work that muscle group again (run with the shoes again). Get a good warm up, do some self-myofascial release before, and stretch afterward.
    Super reply, perfect treatment. Just FYI for anyone reading, DOMS is mainly caused by eccentric muscle contractions.
  • sarahselah
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    Since I'm a beginner and not used to running in any kind of shoe and my feet are in great shape, my pt recommended I start in my Vibrams.
    PT as personal trainer? If they know what their looking for, and your foot has no special needs, then you're good.

Just FYI, having your gait analyzed is usually free and can be done super quick in case you wanted a second opinion.

Physical therapist at a sports and performance type place