Daily vs every other day and morning vs evening.

Options
Is it okay if I just did my bodyweight training daily instead of every other day? I've been doing it for 3 months (admittedly not progressing as often as I should be due to lack of equipment and it takes me awhile to get good form and do things correctly). I find if I exercise as a routine daily then it's harder for me to take a day off vs doing it "every other day" (for me more like every 2-3 days). I honestly just want to make sure I won't injure anything or harm my progress training daily.
Second question: This is more dieting and retaining muscles, does anyone know if doing it at night vs morning makes any difference? I've read both ends, calisthenics in the morning (bodyweight exercises) increases metabolism and calisthenics in the morning causes your body to burn muscle over fat. Anyone know which? Should note, rolling out of bed and starting my calisthenics is a metric ton easier than waiting till about 7pm to start them.

Information: I'm 240, 6', 29% body fat, eating ~1700 calories a day (varies between 1500 and 2k typically). I play soccer monday and wednesdays and walk an average of 5 miles a day for work/etc (3miles there and back and about every other day another 3mile trip to the grocery store/gas station). My body weight routine looks like this: 3sets of 8reps (in this order) dips, bulgarian split squats, pikes push ups, leg lifts, push ups, plank (1m), normal deep squats.

I'm not trying to build muscle, just save as much of the old muscle. My LBM is 175lbs, so I typically try to get about 150g's +-30g of protein (using protein shakes).

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    daily. Do it daily.

Might want to up those calories a little too, edge a little closer to 2k than 1500, but yeah, daily.

Also, just 8 reps? You could easily AMRAP bodyweight stuff 3-4 times a week and be good to go.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I also used to do every other day. You know... or so. Since I've switched to daily, I've been SO much happier, I sleep better, I stay on track, I enjoy and look forward to it, etc.

FYI, week one you may be pretty sore. Like, questioning your sanity sore. (Just push through, get a good warmup, and ensure that your form is never suffering. Stop and move on or come back to it if so.)

It may also be helpful to have a contingency plan. I have a lot of go-tos for light or moderate routines that I can do on my "rest day" or if I get sick. That way, I still show up daily, I still have that mindset there, but I don't try to push through a routine that's too much for me. (Haven't had to use it yet, except my rest day plan of course, which I spent doing about an hour of yoga, about half restoration and half working on form for a couple poses and working on specific moves for flexibility.)

ETA: Didn't see the soccer the first time around. You could probably skip on soccer days and mentally "count" soccer as your workout. Or reduce it. Would be up to you.
  • mrsmiley32
    mrsmiley32 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Actually the days I play soccer are the big days I want to, it's the day after I play soccer I'm more like "ehhhhhhhhhhhh" :smiley: Thank you guys, just wanted to make sure I wouldn't hurt myself/my progress.

I am curious about the morning vs night, does that matter at all?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    mrsmiley32 wrote: »
    I am curious about the morning vs night, does that matter at all?

For that workout, it doesn't matter much. When you switch to weights and lift heavy, i'd have carbs prior.

Some can't handle daily pushups & dips. If you get joint pain, skip a day.

By the way, it's good to balance pushing with pulling sets.. meaning add table bodyweight rows, pull-ups, etc.